Age in big-time US wrestling ; shifting perceptions

air_raid

9 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Watching Wrestlemania 13 and in the opening video package they refer to Bret and Stone Cold as "two angry young men"

At the time Bret Hart was 39 and Steve Austin 32.

As a 38 year old, I would say they were correct.

I think it as people have said above exposure and relevancy is everything.

As noted take a Bossman, Earthquake etc I think that golden era of large characters and gimmicks is what killed these guys careers longevity 

There's a few 'indy' guys who I considered the future of wrestling now like Kenny Omega, Finn Balor who yes have been around some time but not seen by the masses

Then you get Bryan Danielson had a tough/lon career, hard hitting style and stopping full time this year ar 42 and seen an icon and AJ Styles who is 47 still believes in flat earth but seems to have been on national TV forever 

No gimmicks just doing what they do

Edited by 2Xtreme_lives

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

There's a few 'indy' guys who I considered the future of wrestling now like Kenny Omega, Finn Balor who yes have been around some time but not seen by the masses

Explain.

On 3/4/2024 at 11:12 AM, air_raid said:

January - "Billionaire Ted's Rasslin War Room" airs on episodes of Raw, taking pot shots at the ages of Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage - 42 and 45 respectively when they air.

These are the ages of Bryan Danielson and Samoa Joe right now.

Can we get some "Billionaire Tone's Rasslin War Room" skits going?

6 hours ago, air_raid said:

Explain.

I mean if you didn't watch or find NJPW or the Indie scene your first time seeing him would have been on NXT yet he had been wrestling at a good level for nearly a decade.

I know despite being around here a long time I hadn't see devitt until he was doing his farewell UK stuff 

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

I mean if you didn't watch or find NJPW or the Indie scene your first time seeing him would have been on NXT yet he had been wrestling at a good level for nearly a decade.

I know despite being around here a long time I hadn't see devitt until he was doing his farewell UK stuff 

OK. You had your tenses confused, got it.

7 hours ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

I think it as people have said above exposure and relevancy is everything.

As noted take a Bossman, Earthquake etc I think that golden era of large characters and gimmicks is what killed these guys careers longevity 

Then you get Bryan Danielson had a tough/lon career, hard hitting style and stopping full time this year ar 42 and seen an icon and AJ Styles who is 47 still believes in flat earth but seems to have been on national TV forever 

No gimmicks just doing what they do

AJ's had loads of gimmicks. He's been flippy floppy, Russo's bestie, mini Ric Flair, Sting without the makeup, an adulterer and a soccer mum.

Finn Balor had "little man having it large" in NJPW, cosplayer, demon and goth who likes purple. 

• Paid Members

Balor dressed as a different Marvel character every month in New Japan. Let’s not tar him with the “no gimmicks” brush, even before he was seen by the masses.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Vamp said:

AJ's had loads of gimmicks. He's been flippy floppy, Russo's bestie, mini Ric Flair, Sting without the makeup, an adulterer and a soccer mum.

You missed out "Christian Cage's adopted son".

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

You missed out "Christian Cage's adopted son".

Could have been worse.

IMG_3538.jpeg.d993c04b2f69fc78aed920324fb27980.jpeg

On 3/23/2024 at 5:42 PM, SuperBacon said:

Watching Wrestlemania 13 and in the opening video package they refer to Bret and Stone Cold as "two angry young men"

At the time Bret Hart was 39 and Steve Austin 32.

The New Generation with Bret, Hall, Nash is funny when you realise that they were not much younger than Hogan. They were older than Kerry Von Erich who was a star 10 years previous and could have had the Hogan Spot. Dok Hendrix was the same age as these guys.

Edited by death rides a horse

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 3/4/2024 at 11:12 AM, air_raid said:

October - Jim Cornette rips into the Hulk Hogan vs Roddy Piper match at Halloween Havoc, noting things like Hogan's bald spot and Piper's hip replacement. Fans will retcon the "title" of the match to "Age In The Cage" (coming so soon after "Hell In A Cell") though Corny himself didn't actually say it. Ages - 44 (Hogan) vs 43 (Piper).

Nearly posted about this and then had the sense to re-check the OP to see if I'd missed it and I had. Was watching a video of the Sting transformation in WCW and there was a clip of Piper coming out. I thought he looked pretty decent given it was early 1997, coming off Starrcade 96 with Hogan and a few months before the "Age in the Cage" match. Went looking to check and as above, Piper was 43 and Hogan was 44. The match is rightly shit on and the ages were a massive factor back then. Mad to compare it to the likes of Edge and Christian having matches that people seem to like when they're both 50. It's not just TV age either as those two guys have 20+ years on national TV, albeit with forced retirements for a big chunk of that. they also have an awful lot of miles on the clock. There's clearly a massive shift in lifestyle now. Particularly an absolutely massive difference in the intake of coke, booze and gas.