Age in big-time US wrestling ; shifting perceptions

air_raid

1 hour ago, Fog Dude said:

Unrelated to regular in-ring performers, but it strikes me that Jim Ross must've only been in his 40s at best – and thus arguably in the prime of his career for a commentator – when first referred to as "Good Ol' JR". 

I thought that was more to do with the Southern good ol’ boy thing than actual age. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just looking at Psycho Sid's stats, and it occurred to me that he essentially retired in 2001 after WCW folded.  Apart from that wonderful Raw squash with Heath Slater he's done a handful of indy shows since.

So he retired aged 41.  41!  Got in, made money, WCW and WWF heavyweight champ, watched some softball, retired.  Great career.

• Paid Members
On 3/6/2024 at 9:09 PM, Loki said:

Paul E Dangerously - 26 years old

Jim Ross - 39 years old

Paul E looks like he belongs firmly in the 80s, not just because of his style, but his actual face looks like a variation on Jim Belushi's.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Loki said:

So he retired aged 41.  41!

That's crackers. In 1999 in WCW, even though I loved Sid in the WWF and thought his ECW run was fun, I felt slightly demoralized that WCW was again reaching for "here's a guy that was on top in the WWF a few years ago but we probably shouldn't be pushing by now" - what with younger guys waiting for their chance, Goldberg mysteriously on the back burner, Steve Austin and The Rock on the other channel. It's crazy to think he was only an age when a lot of wrestlers are either just coming to their true peak or still have quite a few years left in the tank.

I thought about this thread yesterday when I was reading that The Big Bossman was only 41 when he died.   Which was 16 years after his WWE debut and he looked about 41 then.   Natalya debuted in WWE 16 years ago and is 41.   Think about everything he did in that 16 year period and the pretty much fuck all she's done in that 16 year period.

Edited by The Dart

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Discovered today that Lance Archer is 47 years old. Between him, and Orange Cassidy being 39, it’s the perfect example of how there’s a huge difference between real age and TV age. Unless you’ve been on national TV for years, you feel far younger than you actually are. I’d consider both of them fresh, young talent with a huge upside.

Edited by Supremo

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Discovered today that Lance Archer is 47 years old. Between him, and Orange Cassidy being 39, it’s the perfect example of how there’s a huge difference between real age and TV age. Unless you’ve been on national TV for years, you feel far you get than you actually are. I’d consider both of them fresh, young talent with a huge upside.

You obviously weren’t a TNA man, Supes, I remember Lance Hoyt in the Rock n Rave Infection about 20 years ago!  So for me it’s more “blimey he’s still wrestling”.

• Paid Members

I still think of guys from that 80's/90's era of wrestling, that I would now be close to in age or older than they were at the time, as looking way older then than I do now. That may or may not be with merit.

I don't know why, but if you told me that I looked substantially older than 1994 Brian Knobbs, which I am, I'd react like you just took a shit on my doorstep. 

If I was put as looking near as old as '91 Hogan I'd probably go as far as just taking a header off a bridge. 

This all despite me possibly looking older than both the fuckers anyway and not being able to deal with it. 

Just looking at Psycho Sid's stats, and it occurred to me that he essentially retired in 2001 after WCW folded.  Apart from that wonderful Raw squash with Heath Slater he's done a handful of indy shows since.

So he retired aged 41.  41!  Got in, made money, WCW and WWF heavyweight champ, watched some softball, retired.  Great career.

I was at one of these. IWS in Canada. I was fairly intoxicated in a drained swimming pool which was the venue. Sid coming out was extremely surreal, No guard rails and I happened to be sat below the bit of the ring where the tag team partner waits (it was a tag battle royale where final 2 teams had a normal match). Could've reached out and touched Sid.

After the match where he was made to look amazing and the smarky indy crowd ate up everything he'd done he proceeded to do an (apparently) unscheduled and completely nonsensical promo for about half an hour turning the entire building on him. According a wrestler he was smoking crack backstage prior to the match.

It was an odd evening.

Edited by organizedkaos
Engine. Erol Alkan's Transonic Re-Edit

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

I was at one of these. IWS in Canada. I was fairly intoxicated in a drained swimming pool which was the venue. Sid coming out was extremely surreal, No guard rails and I happened to be sat basically where the tag team partner waits (it was a tag battle royale where final 2 teams had a normal match).

After the match where he was made to look amazing and the smarky indy crowd ate up everything he did in the match he proceeded to do an (apparently) unscheduled and completely nonsensical promo for about half an hour turning the entire building on him. According a wrestler he was smoking crack backstage prior to the match.

It was an odd evening.

If you'd like to reminisce...

Sid starts talking at 4:45, then doesn't stop.

Amazing! Last I'd checked (which would've been years ago) they hadn't released the show.. I'd forgotten the entourage he had. Will have to watch in full some point, see if I can spot 19 years old me

Was a pretty good show, early Kevin Steen and El Generico made an impression and the main event was nuts - I'd never seen a deathmatch live before and Sexxxy Eddy was p mindblowing (this was pre TOD where he got recognition but it was a similar experience going from "what is this idiot in stripper trousers doing here?" to "OH MY GOD THIS IS THE MOST LUNATIC WRESTLER I'VE SEEN")

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

Was a pretty good show, early Kevin Steen and El Generico made an impression and the main event was nuts - I'd never seen a deathmatch live before and Sexxxy Eddy was p mindblowing (this was pre TOD where he got recognition but it was a similar experience going from "what is this idiot in stripper trousers doing here?" to "OH MY GOD THIS IS THE MOST LUNATIC WRESTLER I'VE SEEN")

Amazingly, that main going on after Sid finally shut up, with Eddy teaming with The Green Phantom.... and they JUST teamed up again at the start of this month, also for IWS, also in Montreal, for an 8-person "Ultimate Death Match" where one of their opponents was Joey Janela.

Obviously, Steen & Generico were not on the undercard this time. Although LuFisto was - I was convinced she retired years ago, but I was wrong.