Age in big-time US wrestling ; shifting perceptions

air_raid

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Loki said:

They really dropped the ball with Kennedy, he was very over, was a solid worker and had bags of charisma.  He was fun in TNA but I guess if Orton and Cena don’t like you, you’re never getting back into WWE.

Yes and no. He definitely stood out in an era was there was a bit of a dearth of new talent, and one thing I particularly liked about him was that he had a bit of a Piper-esque ability to make things seem personal in a feud.

Favourite example of that is in TNA, when Hogan is having a go at him, telling him he doesn't like him - and he responds with "Well then, why don't you do something about it, TERRY?!" There was an audible "Oooooh" from the audience. He was certainly quite naturalistic in his promo style, too.

However, from a match perspective, he could be very hit-and-miss - and when he missed, he was outright rotten. Definitely needed the right opponent.

16 hours ago, Loki said:

They really dropped the ball with Kennedy, he was very over, was a solid worker and had bags of charisma.  He was fun in TNA but I guess if Orton and Cena don’t like you, you’re never getting back into WWE.

I'm not so sure

I remember one of the Mags around  the time saying he had 'rock' level promo skills

Clearly wasn't the case but was decent but the work after the promo was boring as hell!!!

I think he did very well with what he had, ala Warrior.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

I remember one of the Mags around  the time saying he had 'rock' level promo skills

Fin Martin definitely printed that in Power Slam in a “said to have” manner, prior to his TV debut meaning somebody else reported it based on seeing Anderson in developmental, and he was just passing it on. Always a dangerous practice when the opinion isn’t your own. “Ron Waterman is being touted as a future WWF Champion” etc.

Edited by air_raid
Dental plan!

• Paid Members

He didn't have Rock-level skills as such, but he was pretty good on the mike, I thought - projected well, paced his delivery to let it all "breathe", and talked in a relatively naturalistic way while still conveying his gimmick of being a loudmouth. Could be quite funny as well - often varied up the name repeat for different effects.