It's Wrestlemania Season

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Shocked there hasn’t been more chat about this. Five years ago, in the dark days, it’d be the most interesting and exciting thing to happen all year. It’s mad. So unlike anything WWE usually do.

Was the whole thing planned, including the blood, dangerously crashing through the chairs, and very-real-looking MMA slams? Did they clue anyone in beforehand? Were some security guards supposed to break them up, but forgot?

Feels like a work someone came up with at the last second, which came off the tracks almost immediately. If that whole thing went exactly as planned and AJ isn’t legitimately furious at the end then that’s the best acting of his career and the best thing he’s done since the Boneyard match. F-bombs from a dweeb like AJ Styles! Crazy! Guess we should be thankful though. I reckon there are other words AJ Styles might say when legitimately angry that wouldn’t have gone down so well.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Shocked there hasn’t been more chat about this. Five years ago, in the dark days, it’d be the most interesting and exciting thing to happen all year. It’s mad. So unlike anything WWE usually do.

Was the whole thing planned, including the blood and dangerously crashing through the chairs? Did they clue anyone in beforehand? Were some security guards supposed to break them up, but forgot?

Feels like a work someone came up with at the last second, which came off the tracks almost immediately. If that whole thing went exactly as planned and AJ isn’t legitimately furious at the end then that’s the best acting of his career and the best thing he’s done since the Boneyard match. F-bombs from a dweeb like AJ Styles! Crazy! Guess we should be thankful though. I reckon there are other words AJ Styles might say when legitimately angry that wouldn’t have gone down so well.

I only saw a clip after they break apart and saw AJ’s bloody nose. That looked diverting. Seeing the whole clip ruined it for me because the fight is so lame, especially if you’ve ever seen any UFC or MMA. The fact everyone is just standing around doing nothing and not trying to pull them apart also makes it look bad. 

But seeing the other F words AJ has used in the past, you’re right in his acting. How his nose got bloody from that though I’ll never know, like the fight from Bridget Jones in it’s viciousness. 

• Paid Members

AJ Styles is a weird one. Unquestionably one of the best in-ring performers of his generation, but I've just never felt even remotely engaged in any feud he's ever had. I saw these clips going round yesterday but didn't even feel bothered enough to press the play button on them. LA Knight feels like a particularly bad fit for him too. AJ has had a history of disappointing matches at WrestleMania and I'm sure that will continue with this one.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

AJ Styles is a weird one. Unquestionably one of the best in-ring performers of his generation, but I've just never felt even remotely engaged in any feud he's ever had. I saw these clips going round yesterday but didn't even feel bothered enough to press the play button on them. LA Knight feels like a particularly bad fit for him too. AJ has had a history of disappointing matches at WrestleMania and I'm sure that will continue with this one.

AJ Styles at WrestleMania has the same success as Ian Wright in an England shirt.

I woke up this morning with the most banging headache ever, and spent the day in bed but I've just popped a load of pills (juicing in honour of The Rock) had 4 sausage rolls from the bakery and AM BACK IN THE GAME for tonight. Really looking forward to how they go tonight with the tag. It's so intriguing.

Cut to me asleep by 7.

• Paid Members

The main event being almost an hour long (with entrances) was insane, especially with half of the match it seemed they were doing everything they could to not get hurt for night 2. 

Thanks to having the flu I made it through live. Overall outside of the Sami/Gunther match which over delivered in spades, I thought it was a poor show and the Jimmy and Jay match being one of the worst WrestleMania matches I can remember.

Will Cody finish his story during night 2? I may have changed my mind.

• Paid Members

Uso’s match was awful. 11 minutes of shite and drama class bullshit. Samantha Irvin (also terrible) introducing Lil Wayne as the greatest rapper of all time. Huh?!

Ladder match had its moments but these multi man ladder matches have been done to death. Truth was a gem though.

The LWO vs Santos and Dom match was fun. But 

Spoiler

Could it have killed them for Dom to go over on Rey?

Zayn vs Gunther was match of the night. Loved the finish. 

I checked out of the main event at the halfway mark. Good they had a tag match for The Rock as he didn’t look anywhere near as fucked as he did the last time he properly wrestled against Cena. But it was underwhelming. 

Night 1 didn’t feel like a Wrestlemania. Hoping Night 2 delivers. Should all be good matches except that six man street fight and I’m sure AJ can carry Knight to something decent. With only six matches on tonight’s card, Cody and Roman are going an hour. I can feel it.

Well, I loved the show. Rhea/Becky was a great opener, the ladder match was good fun and that entrance for Sami was one of the best I’ve seen in wrestling; the build up to his theme song hitting gave me goosebumps. It was interesting to see how little they gave Jade to do in her match, I wonder if they still have doubts about her ring work?

The surprise of the night for me was the main event. That absolutely merited its placement, it was absolutely brilliant. Packed with drama, Rock did well and it felt like a huge deal when he and Cody went face-to-face. They’ve also set themselves up well for a Cody-Rock title match in the future, and perhaps even a Reigns face turn, if Rock tosses him out of The Bloodline. It’s a shame Moxley isn’t around, because I’d be all for The Shield vs Rock’s Bloodline; but I’m absolutely pumped for what’s to come. Karrion Kross aside, bring on night 2!

Edited by RedRooster

Becky/Rhea took a while to get going but turned out decent in the end. Fair play to Becky for putting that shift in after being sick, too. 

Tag ladder was par for the course for this sort of thing. Some decent bumps, not much of a story and people disappearing for minutes at a time. It was fine, but nothing I'd ever feel compelled to watch again. 

The lucha tag was just a TV-style match, but it was also fine for what it was. Everyone looked decent and it had a few fun moments. Again, nothing I'm ever going to feel the need to watch twice. 

I skipped the Usos match. Glad I did, because it sounds absolutely shite from everything I'm seeing and reading. Time to move on, lads. 

The six-women match was enjoyable and a nice showcase/moment for Jade. 

I really liked Sami/Gunther, even if the Rocky stuff was a little heavy-handed. Sami has a tough act to follow after that reign, but I'm sure he'll be OK. Time to move Gunther onto bigger things though. He's fucking class and should be right in the world title mix moving forward.

The main event was looooooong but sports entertaining enough. Congratulations to The Rock for getting through it and not tearing every single muscle in his ridiculous body. 

Overall, it was good but not great. Night two has every chance of topping it. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I’ve watched everything I wanted to and finishes of the rest.

4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I thought it was a poor show

2 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Night 1 didn’t feel like a Wrestlemania.

To say I disagree would be an understatement. For me, three title matches achieved big memorable moments to live forever, some scores were settled, a new star got some shine on the big stage (as we all knew she would), and the table was set for tonight. Aside from it being only one half a Mania without THE main match on last, I wouldn’t have asked for much more. I was invested, and most importantly I was entertained.

I was delighted for Ripley and genuinely emotional at the wins for Awesome Truth and Zayn although in honesty I only watched the finishes in the ladder match as stunt matches bore the arse off me these days, and I’ve never cared much for Gunther but my slider happened to stop me at the point he was going up for the first splash and I was rather impressed at his version of Ivan Drago… I actually said “if he dies, he dies” to nobody in particular at that point. Like Lynch and Ripley before them they had a great home straight. Jade got to look great (in every sense), Reys match was fun from what I saw (though having watched a few matches on mute I didn’t know who the big blokes were - now happy to learn I wasn’t meant to recognise them by face), I only watched the finish of Jey predictably pinning “one half of Reigns’ Rocksteady & Bebop.”

As for said Shredder and Krang, * tag match was enjoyable and did what it needed to do setting up Cody’s impossible task for tomorrow. Rock coming out with his own belt, as if “Final Boss” doesn’t diminish Roman enough, was another nice touch to build into their eventual split. If I wanted to by super critical I did think at the time that Reigns spearing Rock should have gone straight into the finish so was surprised when they went another 10 or so, but given the Bloodline weren’t losing it doesn’t really matter… for now. Some nice moments and false finishes although from a production point of view I don’t think Rocks entrance effects eclipsed the ones he’s been getting on Raw for “cool” factor.. I don’t think the fire added anything for him, they should have stuck to lighting and screen effects. Or possibly had him ascend or descend on a platform to amplify the video game metaphor.

Either way, looking forward to the rest.

7 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Well, I loved the show.

“Can I shock you? I agree with Rooster. Despite what I said earlier.”

* For 90s gaming dorks, Fall Of The Foot Clan is a great example of where the main antagonist of the story turns out not to be, in fact, the Final Boss.

Edited by air_raid
BRAINBUSTERRRR