It's Wrestlemania Season

d-d-d-dAz

• Awards Moderator

If she was genuinely emotional, good on her for being so invested in her job, her passion.

If she wasn’t, well, she’s done a very good job in pretending she was and winding a load of people up.

We’ve just had the best main event in a decade; I’m more invested in watching every nuance of that wonderful main event than whether a ring announcer pleases me.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I don’t think you missed anything - I don’t remember seeing that, but presumably contracts will have been signed and switching would be a challenge given the magnitude of the event (assuming it’s due to take place somewhere that’s on the chillier side).

When do tickets typically go on sale for the following year?

It's heavily rumoured to be Minneapolis but it's an indoor stadium (albeit with a glass roof and most of one end.) But supposedly they haven't yet chosen between there and Vegas.

Edited by JNLister

I'm loving all these reaction videos, and if I may offer a thesis here.

For many years the wrestling industry was a carny business, based on the foundations of kayfabe - the wrestlers and promoters knew it was fake, but the marks thought it was real.  That naturally creates an "us and them" mentality.  It was also a very cut-throat business where you got paid depending on how well the house drew, your place on the card.  Every younger generation couldn't wait for the older generation to fuck off so they could headline and get the big purses.  And a lot of the wrestlers were coming in from other sports - football, body building, basketball... it was something they could make money out of even if they'd not grown up as fans.

That all changed in the 90s - the fans realised it wasn't on the level but embraced the chaos and so the product could become a bit more edgy and not run the risk of being "exposed". But still fundamentally the workers and promoters were the same people, who grew up in the kayfabe era.

What strikes me about modern WWE, especially post-Vince, is that almost everyone was a wrestling fan first.  The wrestlers are all fans, the commentators are all fans, the announcers are fans.  They have no expectations of fooling the marks, they all understand wrestling on the same level as the audience - that it's this odd mix of fakery and reality and built on an incredible history and legacy.  Everyone's on the same page and I think that shows in the genuine emotions and reactions on display.  

I loved watching the Rock's post-Night1 presser yesterday where he was able to seamlessly snap out of his character and talk honestly and openly about his career and the way the match came together and nobody is pissing their pants about ruining kayfabe - everyone understands the dichotomy and can work inside it.

There's an obvious joy at work in WWE nowadays and despite the hoo-haa about the Rock's initial return it also feels like the younger wrestlers are really pumped to have their childhood heroes still turning up now and then.  They mark out at The Rock, they want to see Austin run in, or Cena run in.  It's not just "what's best for business" but also, what's good for the product and the entertainment.

That's infectious - I think we the audience are seeing the results of that change.  To quote the old adage, if it's real.. you can feel it.

• Paid Members

Just to clarify, I think she over reacts, because she does. But that’s clearly what they want. And because I think she’s dreadful (and a few others) doesn’t matter cos it’s just a fucking preference. Glad if you agree, glad if you disagree, it’s all opinions.

The main takeaway from Mania 40 is Cody, whether you like him as a wrestler or not, got to live out his childhood dream and as he’s the nicest man in wrestling, deserves it.

• Paid Members

There’s a video clip doing the rounds now of Roman with a big beaming smile as he eats the pin and then another of a long embrace with Heyman at the top of the ramp and it really makes you appreciate how happy he must be with the run. He finally after years of trying gets over as “the guy” and almost single handedly elevates the company out of one of the dullest periods in it’s history, through the tail end of a pandemic and a barrage of allegations during the #MeToo movement and the Vince stuff that saw the company (rightfully) take a shit load of flack. He makes stars out of a bunch of people on the roster, has the longest run as champ in modern history and carries the company on his shoulders for over 3 years. Now finally, when the product has never been hotter and the company filled with stars, he can finally pass the torch and relieve the weight and stress. Must be so overwhelming.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, FLips said:

There’s a video clip doing the rounds now of Roman with a big beaming smile as he eats the pin and then another of a long embrace with Heyman at the top of the ramp and it really makes you appreciate how happy he must be with the run. He finally after years of trying gets over as “the guy” and almost single handedly elevates the company out of one of the dullest periods in it’s history, through the tail end of a pandemic and a barrage of allegations during the #MeToo movement and the Vince stuff that saw the company (rightfully) take a shit load of flack. He makes stars out of a bunch of people on the roster, has the longest run as champ in modern history and carries the company on his shoulders for over 3 years. Now finally, when the product has never been hotter and the company filled with stars, he can finally pass the torch and relieve the weight and stress. Must be so overwhelming.

It wouldn’t shock me if he retires tonight

3f7fzem6r9tc1.jpeg

Dustin was there!  Gutted that WWE and AEW don't have enough of a relationship to sort out a one-night pass for him to appear. 

• Awards Moderator

6 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Just to clarify, I think she over reacts, because she does. But that’s clearly what they want. And because I think she’s dreadful (and a few others) doesn’t matter cos it’s just a fucking preference. Glad if you agree, glad if you disagree, it’s all opinions.

The main takeaway from Mania 40 is Cody, whether you like him as a wrestler or not, got to live out his childhood dream and as he’s the nicest man in wrestling, deserves it.

Good job you won’t have to worry about any of this bothering you again, knowing you’ve stopped watching it.

7 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It wouldn’t shock me if he retires tonight

I’d be flabbergasted. I don’t think he’s going anywhere before the Rock match happens. I wouldn’t be shocked if we saw more of Rock than Reigns in between now and Wrestlemania 41, though. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

One of my biggest pet peeves - especially back when WWE was shit - was people posting stuff like this, finding logic, sense and through-lines where you knew for a fact WWE never intended. All those Twitter threads and YouTube videos about how Bray Wyatt’s Cinematic Universe made perfect sense and was full of clever references and foreshadowing that would definitely pay off satisfactorily, rather than just a pile of nonsense.

This Seth one actually works though. It got me. You can believe the same amount of thought has been put into it as to what the viewer has interpreted. Great stuff.

Honestly, it might be the biggest achievement of the weekend. I actually felt something for Seth Rollins! My least favourite wrestler, my least favourite character, but in the space of a weekend he had some actual development and a proper arc! I was rooting for the annoying dickhead. He sacrificed everything for the greater good. He did outsmart Roman by playing on his everlasting bitterness for how The Shield split up. Good grief. Amazing.

Seeing Seth cry* as he watched Drew raise gold, you almost believed it was an amazing reign that had come to a tragic end, rather than a bunch of bad, cackle-filled promos and average matches with Nakamura. I’m sure loads of people will claim Seth was buried this weekend, and especially that bit where Roman immediately chinned him during his run in, but genuinely it’s the best thing Seth has done in forever. I’m actually interested in how this affects him. He’s got serious justification of a heel turn here if they so desire. Cody owes him the world.

But yeah. No greater example of the mind-blowing euphoria that main event managed to reach that I honestly expected fucking Dean Ambrose to come out with Seth when The Shield’s music hit. Tony should have allowed it. He doesn’t deserve pro-wrestling.

*Not yet confirmed if Seth's tears were real. If confirmed fake, this obviously invalidates everything I've just said and makes everything rubbish.

Edited by Supremo

12 minutes ago, Loki said:

3f7fzem6r9tc1.jpeg

Dustin was there!  Gutted that WWE and AEW don't have enough of a relationship to sort out a one-night pass for him to appear. 

Is that bloody QT Marshall at the back? What a worker that man is.