Brilliant and terrible tribute acts

Scratch

• Paid Members

Tribute acts fascinate me somewhat, and we’ve seen some really decent ones over the years.

Mrs Scratch sent me this Tom Jones tribute earlier and whilst he sounds pretty good, his look and mannerisms had me in stitches.

Whilst a good tribute act is to be admired, the bad ones are more what I’m after here.

• Paid Members

I took my old dad to see a Rolling Stones tribute act who sounded really good.  During the interval they changed outfits to illustrate the passage of time.  "Mick" came out in a jumpsuit which appeared to have a Sunday roast sized chicken, complete with giblets, down the front.  It was needlessly distracting.

• Paid Members

You can’t lose with a tribute act.  If they’re good, it’s a great night.  If they’re shite, you can rip the piss and it’s a great night.

• Paid Members

When I was a younger man, me and a mate would travel up to Liverpool every year for the Mathew Street festival, which the scousers among us will know features primarily tribute bands on the main stage at Pier Head. 

One that particularly sticks in the mind was a Guns n Roses tribute who seemingly shared the real band's timekeeping abilities. 

As their set barrelled towards its crescendo, fake Axl snarled in his fake Axl voice "And now... we're gonna take you DOWN... to the PARADISE CITAAAY!" 

At that point, a bloke walked on from stage left, tapped his watch and shook his head. 

"Errr... actually doesn't look like we are everyone" fake Axl sheepishly said in his real Midlands accent. "Sorry, cheers, bye."

And off they shuffled. 

Wasn't there a tribute of a tribute of Peter Kay? Imagine how shit that would be.

I've seen The Complete Stone Roses and The Clone Roses and I guarantee they were better than the actual band live.

The lad who "played" John Squire in particular nailed it, but considering he just had to stand there looking at his shoes while he played, maybe I'm being generous.

Also once saw a Smiths one, The Smiths Indeed I think, and that was a top night out.

There’s a place in Cov called The Arches that live off tribute acts and they have a local band as support. My elder brother wasn’t into music when we were young so he missed loads of bands. As a result he loves going there. I went with him once to a Maiden tribute called High On Maiden who were pretty good. Their Adrian Smith had to play the Dave Murray role that night and the guitar tech subbed in for the Smith role. The Bruce Dickinson was quite a rotund fellow but it made for a lovely evening. 

I’m sure there’s something dodge about the venue but can’t remember what it is. @Merzbow have I got this all arseways. 

• Paid Members

I was seeing a girl around 2003 who took me to see a Travis tribute band. It was possibly one of the worst nights out I’ve ever had.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

The lad who "played" John Squire in particular nailed it, but considering he just had to stand there looking at his shoes while he played, maybe I'm being generous.

His name is Tony Scott. He used to be my guitar teacher. Nice bloke and bloody brilliant guitarist.