Brilliant and terrible tribute acts

Scratch

7 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

The Smyths are a great tribute band as well. I saw them at the Half Moon in Putney. They always sell out, you can barely move. 

I always forget that we sort of come from a similar area of the world. I bloody love that pub, and have spent many a night in there watching bands and I've actually seen that tribute band in that pub too, it's just jogged my memory.

7 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Went to a festival a couple years back in Walton called Just A Tribute which was an all tribute festival obviously. A couple of them had crap names for bands such as Pearl Jam (Brain of J) and Nirvana (simply called Nirvana Tribute). They also had Meat Loaf, Linkin Park, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Queen and Aerosmith. The Nirvana tribute was fucking terrible. Probably the worst one I’ve ever seen.

That'll be the one at Apps Court Farm right? I was so tempted by it all and bottled it right at the end.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

That'll be the one at Apps Court Farm right? I was so tempted by it all and bottled it right at the end.

That’s the one. It was a good day out. They were meant to do it at Twickenham stoop last year and apparently will be there this year. 

• Paid Members

I once saw a Queen tribute band inexplicably play "Mr Blue Sky". Whenever you get stuff like that, a tribute act playing another band's song, or being a tribute to two different bands, it always feels like it was a compromise to convince one of the musicians to join.

• Paid Members

I'm a singer for a living...and I once did a gig with a tribute so horrifying that it makes a Peter Kay tribute seem like high art yes I worked with The Other Mrs Brown...so so so bad worse that the bloke playing this monster was lovely but my god it was bad

Screenshot_20240209-121304.png

On 2/8/2024 at 10:56 AM, chokeout said:

I did photography for a few of the tribute festivals that have popped up. The quality on show varied and enjoyment was directly linked to how hammered everyone was. Best bit about them is the effort they put into the names. Beastie boys tribute act called the Beast Decoys. Gold star!

I might be mixing up two different U2 tributes here, but there was one called US4, which still makes me laugh, and the frontman worked on the bins so was known as Binno. 

Red Not Chilli Peppers, By Jovi and Bon Jovish deserve a mention. 

ParamoreGB are really good and lovely people too. I saw them in Bradford last year and it was the nearest I've had to an "And then everybody clapped" moment in real life. They dedicated Emergency to me and let me choose All I Wanted as the encore. It was ridiculous. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I once saw a Queen tribute band inexplicably play "Mr Blue Sky". Whenever you get stuff like that, a tribute act playing another band's song, or being a tribute to two different bands, it always feels like it was a compromise to convince one of the musicians to join.

I regret to inform you that Magic, the Queen covers band, are also Magic — A Kind of ELO

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/magic-a-kind-of-elo