12 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Just been reminded of a band called English Teacher in the gig thread, and recall seeing the most dreadful band name recently and that's Borough Council. BOROUGH COUNCIL!!! They might be the best band in the world but I'll never be listening to them. The absolute state of it.

Other ones that have upset me recently are Soft Play, Personal Trainer and The Snuts, as it's just an annoying word to say.

Jealous Nostril another shite one. 

Off to shout at clouds and form a band called Repairs Department, or the In-Trays. 

Soft Play used to be called 'Slaves' but changed their name a couple of years back due to the (obvious) negative connotations. They got a lot of flack for the new name, and wrote an absolute banger, addressing the controversy. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Just been reminded of a band called English Teacher in the gig thread, and recall seeing the most dreadful band name recently and that's Borough Council. BOROUGH COUNCIL!!! They might be the best band in the world but I'll never be listening to them. The absolute state of it.

Chicago's original name was Chicago Transport Authority, until I think the CTA asked them to change it. 

Death Cab For Cutie is an awful name. Diarrhoea Planet isn't great either, which is a shame as the band are loads of fun. The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die sounds like a great idea on paper for the name of your first band when you're 14 before you give up and name it something a bit more manageable. A, purely for the google-ability of it. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, shite. 

That early-00s, landfill indie scene had tons of awful band names.

Pete & The Pirates

The Pigeon Detectives

Bromheads Jacket

Joe Lean & The Jing Jang Jong

The Ordinary Boys

The Ting Tings

The Music

Does It Offend You, Yeah? is a very shit mid 00s name, but suited the time and actually their album was alright, but still a dreadful name.

There was a trend a few years back of new wave emo bands calling themselves things like Michael Cera Palin, which is horrific and one other similar that I just can't remember or find again. Probably a good thing, it would only annoy me.

Just remembered Pkew Pkew Pkew. Ugh.

Just now, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Where do you stand on Dananananaykroyd?

Proper shit name, great band.

The Nonce isn't shit, it's just really unfortunate, but what a decision. Another hip hop name that always annoyed me was Cunninglynguists. It's a bit 'Jay from Inbetweeners learns to rap'