Croaking it 2024

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Absolute comedy genius.  Been a fan since I hired a load of comedy records from the Library in 1984 and wore the tape I made of his one out.  Papa Elf will always be important to us, but the funniest scene I saw him in was as the ghost of  Professor Proton in The Big Bang Theory where he tried to impale himself on a lightsaber to avoid Sheldon’s ranting.  Very sad news.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Great knock for a Welsh snooker player of his age.

Still gutted though. Always had a soft spot for Reardon as a lot of my family are from near Tredegar (and that's where the story ends, none of these fuckers watch snooker or know who he was).  His influence in the golden years of snooker was tremendous. Such a perfect foil to Higgins from appearance through to style of play. 

Was still knocking in century breaks down the club even a couple of years ago. A life well lived.

1 hour ago, King Coconut said:

He'll be gutted he didn't make the century.

Waiting for Terry Griffith's to go now just to use, 'that's more than he ever managed on the table.'

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Dracula himself. Was a great player. 91 is, as said previously, a cracking break. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

My Dad was a very decent Snooker player in his pomp and claimed throughout all my years on this planet that he beat Ray Reardon In a game when he was 14/15 and Ray was around 24/25. It was even mentioned in his Eulogy a few months back when he was buried.

I bought him Ray's autobiography a few years ago and was a little gutted there wasn't a paragraph in there dedicated to a plucky young upstart who rumbled Ray in the South Wales Valleys back in the late 50's.

Mind you, this is the same bloke who insisted to me he saw Hulk Hogan wrestle in Cwm Workman's club in the early 70's. 

I'm still undecided. 

Edited by Bus Surfer
It's only a game so...

• Paid Members

Old bloke down the labour club my dad used to drink in claimed he beat Ray Readon at a Butlins comp. Just before he won his first world championship. And this bloke wasn’t even a good snooker player. Guess old Ray wasn’t all that.