AEW Dynamite Thread 2024

DavidB6937

In the end, it's one match. It's not taking away from much is it? If they're having to rush it or it's because TK wants it or it's because one or both guys want it.. why not? I don't think they're suddenly going for a Nigel title run where he's going to hold the title for three years and take everything away from everyone.

Could it have been done better this week? Absolutely. For whatever reason, it was a pretty shitty way of getting to it, especially if you've not been following it on the other show.

But we are where we are. I don't think it's the end of the world and I think they'll have a really solid match, although quite uncomfortable to watch I bet.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, digforvictory said:

I never watched ROH from back then, my only real knowledge of McGuinness as a wrestler are his mostly underwhelming TNA run and his appearance at All In. I'm looking forward to the match though as a payoff to the year plus of them teasing it. 

You found his TNA run underwhelming? His work as Desmond Wolfe was ace - I'd never enjoyed his work much until that point. His promos were good, his in-ring work was impressive - I've never seen anyone make technical wrestling look thuggish. Plus the Withnail & I fan in me was marking out for his choice of name.

8 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

You found his TNA run underwhelming? His work as Desmond Wolfe was ace - I'd never enjoyed his work much until that point. His promos were good, his in-ring work was impressive - I've never seen anyone make technical wrestling look thuggish. Plus the Withnail & I fan in me was marking out for his choice of name.

Yeah, I liked Desmond Wolfe too. A very under-rated run in my opinion.

• Paid Members

We watched Turning Point 2009 last night, and Desmond Wolfe vs. Kurt Angle is a great match, really holds up. But a few weeks ago I caught a TNA show on Plex that had Desmond Wolfe vs. Abyss on it, and that was one of the worst matches I've ever seen. I think that says less about Nigel and more about TNA once Hogan and Bischoff coming in just not knowing what they had in Nigel, or how to book him to his strengths (or just not particularly caring to). 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I'm pretty sure he said that was a Russo idea on that interview, could be wrong.

I enjoyed his run, it was at a time I was still watching quite a lot. My wife thought he was funny for calling people wankers with it going over the heads of most people.

14 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

We watched Turning Point 2009 last night, and Desmond Wolfe vs. Kurt Angle is a great match, really holds up. But a few weeks ago I caught a TNA show on Plex that had Desmond Wolfe vs. Abyss on it, and that was one of the worst matches I've ever seen. I think that says less about Nigel and more about TNA once Hogan and Bischoff coming in just not knowing what they had in Nigel, or how to book him to his strengths (or just not particularly caring to). 

Wasn't he pretty much sent down to losing on Xplosion week after week not too long after they took over?

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

16 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Wasn't he pretty much sent down to losing on Xplosion week after week not too long after they took over?

Yeh, that was the main thing I hated about the Hogoff era. Not everything in the era before was bad, and they just ruined Wolfe. Sticking him in Fourtune was bollocks as well - in fairness, that whole stable was bollocks.

23 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I'm pretty sure he said that was a Russo idea on that interview, could be wrong.

I enjoyed his run, it was at a time I was still watching quite a lot. My wife thought he was funny for calling people wankers with it going over the heads of most people.

He did say that, but I think he's kayfabing. I reckon what happened is that he had a meeting with Russo to come up with a character, they were brainstorming names, he, being a Withnail fan, suggested it, and Russo, not knowing the film, thought it sounded good and said "Let's go with that". 

Either way, it's too much of a coincidence for it not to have come from W&I. And it is an ace name.

2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Plus his valet Chelsea was fit! .... I mean, err, a very talented young lady.