SuperBacon

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

This sounds great, I'm going to seek it out.

This was not great.

Journey Back To Christmas

As mentioned, Nurse Hannah lives in 1946 and has lost her husband Chet in the war.

A storm one night comes along, she seeks refuge in a barn and suddenly she's in 2016. Two coppers pick her up, Jake (who dated Joey in Dawsons Creek) and Sarah, and she goes and lives with Jake (the coppers end up together: he's punching)

None of the townfolk believe her (including this one proper bitch who thinks she's grifting) but she runs into old man Toby who was one of Hannahs patients back in 46. Obviously he believes her, and they realise that the night Hannah went forward in time, a special comet appeared and its going to appear again, as luck would have it, that night.

So back into the barn she goes and she's back in 1946 digging her car out of the snow

"Why don't you call your husband to help you?" Chet didn't die after all. The end.

This was atrocious. A straightforward Hallmark "drama". At least with the others, there was at least some humour or levity or something but with this nope. Its just so bland. Mercifully most of these films are only 80 minutes long.

At one point my eldest texted me and asked me what I was watching and I lied and said Friends, too ashamed to tell her the truth. Now I'm trying to delete it from my YouTube viewing history.

Candace Bure as Hannah is good to be fair, but this concept had legs. I love a time travel/warp film and the fish out of water bits are often the best bit, but there's none of that. She just turns up and sort of accepts it. It's shite. And offers nothing.

spacer.png

No idea love.

I need a break. Or at least watch one of the doggy ones as at least there are dogs in them.

1 candy cane out of 10.

I've had a complete arse of a day, starting with forgetting to take my lunch AND my cool of tea for my journey to work with me then from car related shit to work related shit to the two year old being ill, everything today has totally sucked, the highlight of the day has been reading this thread. So I thought I'd send the day on a high and watch Fir Crazy after reading @SuperBacon review, I couldn't find it on anything so opted for Anna and the Apocalypse not the normal rom com Christmas story but I thought a zombie Christmas movie might be fun - six minutes in and not only is Dennis Pennis in it perfectly the character he later used in After Life but it's a fucking MUSICAL!!!! and I thought today couldn't get any worse!

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

This was not great.

Journey Back To Christmas

As mentioned, Nurse Hannah lives in 1946 and has lost her husband Chet in the war.

A storm one night comes along, she seeks refuge in a barn and suddenly she's in 2016. Two coppers pick her up, Jake (who dated Joey in Dawsons Creek) and Sarah, and she goes and lives with Jake (the coppers end up together: he's punching)

None of the townfolk believe her (including this one proper bitch who thinks she's grifting) but she runs into old man Toby who was one of Hannahs patients back in 46. Obviously he believes her, and they realise that the night Hannah went forward in time, a special comet appeared and its going to appear again, as luck would have it, that night.

So back into the barn she goes and she's back in 1946 digging her car out of the snow

"Why don't you call your husband to help you?" Chet didn't die after all. The end.

This was atrocious. A straightforward Hallmark "drama". At least with the others, there was at least some humour or levity or something but with this nope. Its just so bland. Mercifully most of these films are only 80 minutes long.

At one point my eldest texted me and asked me what I was watching and I lied and said Friends, too ashamed to tell her the truth. Now I'm trying to delete it from my YouTube viewing history.

Candace Bure as Hannah is good to be fair, but this concept had legs. I love a time travel/warp film and the fish out of water bits are often the best bit, but there's none of that. She just turns up and sort of accepts it. It's shite. And offers nothing.

spacer.png

No idea love.

I need a break. Or at least watch one of the doggy ones as at least there are dogs in them.

1 candy cane out of 10.

Thanks for watching it so we didn’t have to. 

The Christmas Break

I thought this was a Hallmark one, but within seconds it's revealed that Justin Long is the lead. I mean, he's hardly Olivier but I could sense this wasn't going to be that bad, and that it wasn't a pile or shit.

He is Jack and he dates Irish girl Caroline (lovely India Mullen who apparently was in Normal People) and they go to her home town of Ballyogue. 

That's pretty much it, there isn't much plot and disappointingly not much "Diddly diddly bejaysus Mary" stuff either.

Sure as soon as they arrive, Caroline reveals that her old man runs a pub (Reillys!) and her Dad asks Jack if he wants a drink upon arrival. He replies "Nah its only 10am" to which he responds wonderfully "Beer it is then" but I wanted to see a leprechaun or hear some "AH BEGORRAH MARY LETS GO DOWN DUNNES AND GET POTATOES" 

When they arrive at her Mums and she asks if they want a drink "We've just had one" "Well have another one then" and at some point her Mum gives them Irish coffee for breakfast and is shown doing a cap of whisky in the morning as why not lads eh?

I do love that everyone these days rejects their national stereotypes for being a bit outdated but the Irish still embrace that they are a nation of pissheads. Its wonderful. 

Speaking of breakfasts, I took a screen grab for you all of the "Full Irish" served. Sorry about the quality, best I could do.

spacer.png

I'll be honest about 500 people seem to live in the house so it's a bit hard to keep up, but the pub isn't doing well, and Cormac (Caroline's ex) has a new gaff in town which she visits with, I think, her two sisters who sing Fairytale Of New York.

But in true "WOKE MOB WINS AGAIN 😤😤😤" fashion, when it gets to "You scumbag you maggot, you look like Bob Saget" you can't hear it over another conversation! Booooo.

Honestly not much happens. Justin Long looks after the kids and it's really not that funny, Caroline finds out she is up the duff (or as my exes Irish grandmother used to say when she first got pregnant " A lad in the sack" ????) there is a game of Gaelic football that again, isn't very funny or anything and then it just ends. Maybe the pub survived, I dunno, I do actually work whilst these are on, despite what Rick thinks.

Despite that, this was pretty decent. The leads are fine and have a bit of chemistry (although she is 29 and Long, despite not looking it, is 45. Nothing wrong with that, just jarred me) and you could do worse than this for 90 minutes. 

Upon looking up this film (which there is shockingly little of online, to the point where I thought maybe it wasn't out yet and the iplayer had started a piracy wing) I discovered that Long, despite looking like a Who from Whoville, recently married Kate Bosworth. Lucky bastard.

spacer.png

6 colcannon canes out of 10.

2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I saw a tweet once about how they introduce characters in these kind of films with unbelievable lines like “There he is, the eldest of my three boys”. Would appreciate any sightings in the wild of this particular exposition. 

In the "family" house, there seemed to be a mum, a dad, maybe 2 or 3 sisters, their husbands or whatever, a teenage boy and girl and then two twin boys of about 6 and a baby. 

I don't know if it's explained who's is who's, or whether that is just a normal big Irish family. 

20 minutes ago, Loki said:

Scanning the Letterboxd list on the first page, I insist you watch Christmas At The Amish Bakery.

https://letterboxd.com/film/christmas-at-the-amish-bakery/

I need a break and to watch some normal films but will give this a whirl over the weekend at some point. Good find English!

Edit: This will have to wait. You're such an eager beaver this baby ain't even out yet!

Might ask the Everyman in Winchester if they can put it on.

Edited by SuperBacon