SuperBacon

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Just Some Guy said:

Talking of a series of Christmas films, the law of diminishing returns suggests that the final film in the Nativity franchise (III or IV?) must be a steaming pile, and therefore on your radar?

The director apparently went mad online when the third one got panned, not understanding why the critics didn't take to Dude, Where's My Donkey?

• Paid Members

In one part of my job I have to check certain channels are playing out the right content, and for Movies 24 this is made so much easier in their Christmas Period (more of the year than you'd imagine) because every single shot in these movies has fairy lights or holly in the background. Every single one. 

Edited by gmoney

7 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Unaccompanied Minors (also sometimes called Grounded) is a really shit one that I somehow managed to catch on Channel 5 for about 4 years running. A bunch of teens spend Christmas grounded at an airport. It's shite but in an inoffensive cosy way.

And it's on Prime!

That's not all that bad, I remember quite enjoying it at the time which could likely be the same day you watched it.

One of the kids in it is now a pretty good young director, Quinn Shepard.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

That's not all that bad, I remember quite enjoying it at the time which could likely be the same day you watched it.

One of the kids in it is now a pretty good young director, Quinn Shepard.

I had no idea until now that it was directed by Paul Feig! I just always assumed it was a TV movie where nobody involved went on to do much else. 

• Paid Members

The Santa Clause 3

Tim Allen sneaks Alan Arkin and Ann-Margret in to the North Pole to see their daughter because he successfully dumped a bunch of raw dog loads in her and she’s never allowed to leave. Meanwhile Martin Short tricks him into time travelling back to the first film so he can take the coat and turn the North Pole into a theme park. Judge Reinhold does yoga with the kids.

The Santa Clause code is 132.

Tell you what it’s a weird series of films. None of them are what I would say are bad but they have an inexplicable magnetism that makes (nearly everybody) be in every film despite them being spread over 12 years.

Peter Boyle stars in 1 as Tim Allen’s boss but then shows up completely uncredited as Father Time in 2 and 3 with no explanation at all. The Santa Clause 3 was his last role during his lifetime which is quite something.

The lad from Numb3rs is in the first two but doesn’t show up in 3, yet comes back for the TV series (which we’ll be watching next). He’s the only main star to not appear in every film after they debut.

Abigail Breslin shows up in 3 as a minor elf character despite Little Miss Sunshine being out that year. She sadly has no interaction with Alan Arkin.

I don’t know what’s happened to Tim Allen between 2006 and 2022 but apparently the TV shows will be all about Christ and he’s sick of all the ghosts and goblins. We’ll see.

• Paid Members

I'm sure I saw something for a series or Disney+ original movie called The Santa Clauses? Somewhere. Sounds like something that'll end up either here or the Things You Know Will Be Shit thread. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm sure I saw something for a series or Disney+ original movie called The Santa Clauses? Somewhere. Sounds like something that'll end up either here or the Things You Know Will Be Shit thread. 

You probably saw it in my post Jazzy where I mentioned I’d be watching it next.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

You probably saw it in my post Jazzy where I mentioned I’d be watching it next.

I'd seen a banner ad for it as well somewhere.