I really like Friends and have done since I was about ten (when there's no doubt I didn't properly get about half the jokes). I've probably seen every episode about 5 to 10 times because it was something that you watched because it was on a lot of the time and it was funny. A tremendous re-watchability due to the hit rate of the jokes and the chemistry of the cast.

The show was  just comforting and a pleasant and easy way to spend twenty minutes, to me. I was never an obsessive or anything. I'm also not into the revisionists coming out now with the 'Erm, it was problematic actually, mate'. I'm sure some if it has aged badly, but what TV show from that era hasn't? That's a rhetorical question, by the way, before you come at me with examples!

The early seasons are a lot better than the later ones, but they are still alright even with their flaws. Friends was also appointment viewing on a Friday night in our house for those last couple of seasons. I have fond memories of getting a Chinese takeaway in and watching the newest episode as a family. 

9 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

I never bought Monica and Chandler, at all. 

What did she see in him? 

Chandler is adorable! Of the three he was the 'catch'. Joey was good looking but thick, Ross was far too whiney (and Monica's brother) but Chandler is genuinely a sweet guy

3 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Chandler is adorable! Of the three he was the 'catch'. Joey was good looking but thick, Ross was far too whiney (and Monica's brother) but Chandler is genuinely a sweet guy

True, He's better than Tom Selleck. That whole thing was just odd. You wouldn't be able to do that today, surely? Geezer who is mates with your da shagging you, and everyone is okay with it and is even jealous!

6 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

True, He's better than Tom Selleck. That whole thing was just odd. You wouldn't be able to do that today, surely? Geezer who is mates with your da shagging you, and everyone is okay with it and is even jealous!

She's around 26/27, he's supposed to be just over 50 I think. It's not the worst thing in the world, if a bit strange that he knew her when she was younger.

I've just started series 3, and Joeys hair is really greasy all the time. What's with that?

Also, the bit where he puts on all Chandlers clothes is always amazing.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

That did however provide some hilarious physical comedy from David Schwimmer as he hid in the bedroom from Bruce Willis when they were all at the cabin. 

Overshadowed by Bruce being a love machine.

17 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Also, the bit where he puts on all Chandlers clothes is always amazing.

Great episode in general. A bottle episode, which is always fun.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

The show was  just comforting and a pleasant and easy way to spend twenty minutes, to me. I was never an obsessive or anything. I'm also not into the revisionists coming out now with the 'Erm, it was problematic actually, mate'. I'm sure some if it has aged badly, but what TV show from that era hasn't? That's a rhetorical question, by the way, before you come at me with examples!

I think there's a difference between and 'you shouldn't watch or like it because it's problematic' and 'it was problematic in ways that would result in it being made differently now'. When you say 'what TV show from that era hasn't' - yeah, exactly, that's the whole point. It's about the cultural issues of the time. And the idea that even progressive-for-its-time stuff was also problematic is worth talking about, especially when something is SO popular and often watched uncritically.

I get that it can feel like it's just catching people out and calling stuff bad, but I don't think it's revisionism as much as it is genuinely engaging with it. That said, it's poorly represented by Buzzfeed listicles and the like.

7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I don't think it's even necessarily revisionism anyway. There were complaints at the time that the show featured zero people of colour despite being set in New York City. 

That's a glaring one, aye. The creators themselves have come out with their hands up and basically said they fucked it. 

19 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I think there's a difference between and 'you shouldn't watch or like it because it's problematic' and 'it was problematic in ways that would result in it being made differently now'. When you say 'what TV show from that era hasn't' - yeah, exactly, that's the whole point. It's about the cultural issues of the time. And the idea that even progressive-for-its-time stuff was also problematic is worth talking about, especially when something is SO popular and often watched uncritically.

I get that it can feel like it's just catching people out and calling stuff bad, but I don't think it's revisionism as much as it is genuinely engaging with it. That said, it's poorly represented by Buzzfeed listicles and the like.

I get what you're saying and it is worth talking about, for sure. I suppose it's a minority of the dissenting voices that do it (as you alluded to with Buzzfed listicles etc.). 

9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I don't think it's even necessarily revisionism anyway. There were complaints at the time that the show featured zero people of colour despite being set in New York City. 

Ahem. 

And it doesn’t even mention Craig Ferguson!

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

There were complaints at the time that the show featured zero people of colour despite being set in New York City. 

Objection. One of the best characters ever in Friends was black.

MV5BYjYxZTliYzktNTgxMi00MTBlLThjMGUtNzQ2

Scrud.

For me, the single greatest line in the whole of Friends was in the episode where Ross and Monica's nan died, and at the funeral Joey and Monica's Dad are watching the football game on a portable tv, and the Jets score or whatever "Now I'm depressed!".

Elliot Gould was always so great in that series, and it was always odd to see him in a sitcom when he was this big serious heavyweight actor from the 70s.