Fury vs Ngannou - Oct 28 🇸🇦 🥊

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Gonna have to rewatch it tomorrow but I don’t think I’ve ever been happier to be wildly wrong about a fight as I was this. The only way I could’ve imagined Ngannou possibly pulling off the upset was if he’d landed the perfect punch early and ended it there and then. But I thought that was stupidly unlikely. Never would’ve pictured it going like it did over 10 rounds in a million years. 

Edited by wandshogun09

As soon as the final bell went and the commentators changed their tune from Ngannou’s won this to its super close you just knew Fury had the decision.

Ngannou could have knocked him down 2 more times and still lost, they’ve already booked Fury/Usyk for December and don’t want that fucked.

Boxing at its finest…

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I had Fury winning. I think peopleslove of Francis and he’s a “Non boxer” clouded peoples judgement. 

There's definitely going to be a lot of that in-play. Watching in real-time I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. I didn't actively core the fight either because I didn't think i'd need too. I'll need to rewatch it to get a clearer picure. Francis is still a "winner" either way.

19 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I had Fury winning. I think peopleslove of Francis and he’s a “Non boxer” clouded peoples judgement. 

Fury won the match. Underdog bias always colours these things a bit, and Francis certainly won the fight as a whole (more significant strikes, heavier damage caused), but on a 10-point system I had Fury winning.

The nature of Francis’s performance, almost sitting on his backfoot and counterpunching at times, meant that the quieter rounds he took off meant they were probably - rightly - scored to Fury and his more active jab.

It’s the age old problem with round scoring though, as you can win the fight but lose the match, and I think that’s what’s happened here. Resetting the scoring each round allows this to happen.

Still, best possible result for MMA and PFL. Had he won, he’d have had to do the rematch and stay away from PFL longer, and if Fury was able to replicate his round 5 precision in a rematch he’d probably have beat Ngannou quite handily. As it is, the PFL can play the aggrieved card and say they have a guy who should be the lineal heavyweight champion of the world in boxing and MMA.

Uncle Frank has already said the Usyk fight won’t happen in December. Absolute catastrophe for Fury, this.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I’ve held off on the ‘robbery’ talk because, although I felt like Francis won, a lot of that could be the shock of him doing so much better than we all expected. When an underdog overperforms like this it’s easy to get carried away. I’ll rewatch it later but, thinking back, it was a close fight and I think Ngannou might kick himself that he didn’t do a bit more in those last couple of rounds. 

Regardless, whatever the cards and the record books say, this can’t be looked at as anything other than a ‘win’ for Ngannou. When the fight started I thought ‘if Francis even lands a couple of shots it’ll be a bit of a moral victory’. When he scored the knockdown I thought ‘this is mental and Francis has already done way better than expected but Tyson will get up, Francis will probably fade now and Fury will stop him late’. But then as the rounds went on I couldn’t believe what I was watching. Amazing stuff from Francis. I think a big part of it as well was that Francis did a few things that didn’t allow Tyson to use his usual tricks. Usually Tyson can go to certain comfort zones like when he stifles opponents with clinching and leaning on them. But Francis was big enough, strong enough and obviously had enough knowledge of what works in clinch positions to cancel that out and kind of take that ‘comfort zone’ away from Tyson. On top of that, Ngannou was only a few pounds lighter than Tyson as well. Tyson’s last few fights he enjoyed quite a size and weight advantage. Chisora was 260lbs but out of shape and past it. Whyte was 253lbs. And of course there was huge weight difference in the Wilder fights. Fury was 39lbs heavier than Wilder in their third clash. So as well as Ngannou was doing at certain things in there, he also had the size to back it up, and it showed in both the effect his punches had, his own durability and the clinch work. I don’t think anyone took notice of the size thing going in (I definitely overlooked it) because no-one thought it would matter. Add to that his 83in reach, his natural power and the fact he’s clearly been putting the graft in behind the scenes. Then factor in that Tyson is maybe at the end of his prime anyway. With hindsight it seems it was the perfect storm. I would never have predicted it to play out like it did though. 

Seen a lot of coping on social media today. ‘But Tyson was out of shape’ and ‘He didn’t take it seriously’. But Tyson never looks in shape. He said he had a 12 week camp for this and it was supposed to be easy so there’s no excuse. And I know there has to be an element that Tyson was taking this lightly, looking past Ngannou and towards the Usyk fight. It’s natural. But that doesn’t take away from the fact Ngannou fought out of his skin and surpassed all expectations last night. I think even the few who were picking Ngannou were mostly doing it out of wishful thinking and even then they probably thought the only way he could win would be to land a bomb in the early rounds. This was a real eye opener.

As much as I wish we got to see Ngannou vs Jon Jones in the UFC, I actually hope he never goes back now. The way Dana and Jones trashed him on the way out and the way they and UFC fans laughed at him and accused him of ducking Jones, fuck them, I hope he continues to flourish on his own terms, doing his own thing. The eventual movie on his life is gonna be incredible.

The UFC don’t deserve him anyway.

👊🏾🇨🇲

IMG_8354.jpeg