News/Current Affairs thread

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Shirtie said:

I'm waiting for the God Saved him ! God want Donald in the white house tweets and Trump to say it was a miracle from God

He'll be dressing up as Brother Love next. 

I don't think this was anything other than an individual trying to kill a candidate that he doesn't like but the picture of a bloodied Trump with his fist raised in front of the flag is one of those images that will become part of American history. As helpful as that is to a man seeking election in the USA, it has helped Biden on one front as up to this point most of the focus has been on the circus surrounding Joe's cognitive abilities. That's still going to be a big issue for him, but for the moment at least it's not THE issue at a point when it was becoming untenable. 

You can tell these candidates, presidents and former presidents put their faith in the Secret Service but they must know that they're rarely 100% safe from all threats, especially when the gig involves travelling round the country and standing in front of large crowds. The fact that this is the first time in 40 years that something like this has come close to happening is an indication of how thorough and dilligent the Secret Service are, and some of the measures they take are impressive. That being said, this is an astonishing lapse in security and I'm staggered that someone was able to get on to a roof overlooking the stage with a rifle, aim down the sights at a former president and fire multiple shots. I don't think there's anything fishy about it, but they had two rooftop snipers with their weapons on the building the shots came from, so it was clearly identified as a potential risk. I'm not sure we'll ever find out exactly what mistake led to the incident, but there's been a catastrophic fuck up on some level. 

Knew as soon Trump had his ears pierced that people would be pearl clutching on lots of social media elsewhere. I feel weird about it. Firstly, obviously I think assassinating someone is naturally off-kilter, but secondly, you don't have to publicly decree assassination, because well I think we all expect it from anyone not a trifle unhinged.

But, bonus third part, if you were and could be again one of the most powerful men in the world, and your campaign, that you lead and endorse is based purely on racism, dog whistling and essentially festering social divide... Then if a lunatic tries to pop you whilst you dick about revelling in your own cult of personality, I'm not exactly going to incredibly sympathetic.

Doesn't make me feel like the greatest humanitarian, but yeah.

*Kent Brockman 'MY TWO CENTS graphic*

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

Can't tell if it is worse that Trump survived or would it have been worse if he'd been JFK'd and someone even more evil was hot-shotted into the White House on the back of Trump 'gave his life for us' type martyrdom that surely would have ensued.

Either way, it feels odd to be disappointed another human being has avoided being assassinated. But, that's the strange world we are living in I suppose.