Ruud Gullit’s Sexy Football 2023/2024 Domestic Only Thread

Mr_Danger

• Members

I'll be honest not sure my anxiety can handle a whole season of that (and we will get absolutely battered soon whilst the system is still embedding) but my god that was fun. Just happy to feel something again.

Bissouma playing like prime Zidane. Lovely stuff. I'm off to listen to some Men At Work and call everyone a flaming gallah. Up the Spurs.

• Paid Members

Ten goals between Wrexham and Swindon today? I bet there'll have been an interesting atmosphere there. I might see how much It is to go and watch them against Accrington Stanley in November. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Ten goals between Wrexham and Swindon today? I bet there'll have been an interesting atmosphere there. I might see how much It is to go and watch them against Accrington Stanley in November. 

Accrington Stanley. Who are they?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Accrington Stanley. Who are they?

Exactly. 

13 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I'll be honest not sure my anxiety can handle a whole season of that (and we will get absolutely battered soon whilst the system is still embedding) but my god that was fun. Just happy to feel something again.

Bissouma playing like prime Zidane. Lovely stuff. I'm off to listen to some Men At Work and call everyone a flaming gallah. Up the Spurs.

It will happen. Celtic took a 0-4 tanking in the Europa League to Bayer Leverkusen in Ange's first season in a game that could have been 4-4. Celtic played well that night, which seems like a total paradox to say. He will have to go through a spell of this: today, he's the greatest thing since sliced bread but the nature of England is that if they lose to Bournemouth next week, the microscope will be out and doubts over his pedigree. Spurs fans should hold firm and keep quietly expecting: Ange rebuilt Celtic over a very short spell of time and dethroned a Rangers team who were unbeaten the season before and who had done well in Europe (and got to a European final the next season).

He is a man of substance and won't get dragged into the bullshit and the circus of the Premier League. You will observe weekly improvement. And the football can be irresistible at times, to be honest.

15 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Seeing as Kieth isn’t around…..This is what it’s all about for Spur fans this season though isn’t it? Obviously trophies would be nice but Spurs gon Spurs and as long as you keep up the semblance of competitiveness a season of remembering what it was like to watch Spurs play like Spurs will be pretty great won’t it?

• Members
24 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Seeing as Kieth isn’t around…..This is what it’s all about for Spur fans this season though isn’t it? Obviously trophies would be nice but Spurs gon Spurs and as long as you keep up the semblance of competitiveness a season of remembering what it was like to watch Spurs play like Spurs will be pretty great won’t it?

Big time. 

The majority of us support teams that rarely/never win trophies so you have to enjoy what you're watching and enjoy the small moments. I've seen us win 3x trophies in 30 odd years of watching. So if the game is only about trophies (it's not) what's the point of most of that time?

It also helps that we have a manager who feels like he deserves to be there, who is proud to be at our club, and understands that his job is to entertain the people that watch. After years of watching football terrorists who quite frankly made it look and sound like we were doing them a favour employing them, it's  massively refreshing. (I don't count Nuno. He's a nice bloke and he shouldn't have been put in that situation frankly)

And it feels like something HAS returned. The atmosphere yesterday was brilliant. The new stadium can be incredibly quiet (it happens with all new big ones) and the club have gone to great lengths to support THFC Flags, Return Of The Shelf and other fan groups to address this. 

In a week where we have sold our greatest ever player, yesterday felt like a reaction to that, like a defiance.

The tifo, the drum is back, some fans have been relocated to a certain block etc, it all helps create an atmosphere and exciting football helps. Some fans might scorn at that, which is fine, and see it as artifical, maybe. But at least its trying. I give those Arsenal "ultras" fans shit but at least they're trying...actually, no scrap that, they are embarrassing. Fannies.

My 10yo watches with me, and last season was a chore to get her invested. She's more interested in playing Minecraft with her mates (understandable) but we really enjoyed yesterday as it was just exciting. I want to enjoy watching with her. That's all.

And it all comes back to the phrase I loved the most during the Poch reign, that the journey with someone special is always better than the destination with someone that isn't. Winning a cup under Mourinho or Conte wouldn't have been that special.

Of course it's been 2 games (not like Spurs fans to be hyperbolic) and we'll go and lose to Bournemouth next week, but so what? At least it'll be a laugh.

On another note, when Hojbjerg, fucking HOJBJERG, is spinning away from players in his own half, you know shit is on. I'd retire immediately if I was Sancho.

Tl:dr Ange is Dad. 

• Paid Members

Will trade one Brendan Rodgers for one Ange Postecoglu. Appreciate this isn't the Scottish thread but it's incredible how much we've regressed since Ange left. Where we once had fast-flowing, dynamic, extremely attacking football now we've got slow, ponderous, side-to-side dullness. We went out the league cup today to Kilmarnock by the way and it looked like we could have played for 5 years without scoring. I don't mean any disservice to Killie by the way, they were outstanding and clearly a team not to be messed with this year. McInnis is a great manager who never quite gets the credit he deserves, I feel.

• Members

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/21/mason-greenwood-to-leave-manchester-united-after-internal-inquiry

Never forget that United wanted to bring him back and shit it after that Athletic journalist uncovered what they were trying to do and the backlash that rightly happened. Cunts.

He's not owed a living playing football. Fuck him.