RIP Iron Sheik (according to Twitter)

uklaw

• Paid Members

I felt a bit bad for him to be honest, didn't his daughter die in unpleasant circumstances and ghouls took advantage for lolz.

He's an odd one because his best stuff wasn't in the big era, no one's rushing to rewatch his stints with Volkoff,  but he was key in the Hogan story so WWE would get him in any legends deal and no one looked more jacked than him swinging those clubs in his prime.

Fucking loved Sheiky baby, criminally wasted in his early 90s run as Sarge’s sidekick during his heel run but was brilliant as the co manager for Rikishi when he was doing the Sultan gimmick in 96/97 and made a still raw Rock look a million bucks by selling his punches and body slam at Mania 13

Out of all the tributes coming over the next few days, I’m hoping Maffew does a special Botchamania as Sheiky’s sound bites were a key part of the outro for the videos for years

81 is impressive considering he was on crack for quite a few years.  

I always found all the shoot interview/Twitter persona stuff vaguely embarrassing and he’s part of that Howard Stern wrestling crossover that feels (like Stern) unbelievably dated now.

Nevertheless the guy was a beast in the ring back in his day and a heat magnet as a heel, and as far as I know didn’t rape or murder anyone so RIP I guess!

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Loki said:

and as far as I know didn’t rape or murder anyone so RIP I guess!

That’s the key phrase. That story Marty tells that everyone loves for the punchline (which is horrific if true and only funny if wildly exaggerated) implies he drugged female fans, so nothing would surprise me if there were plenty of women on the road too pissed or pilled up to consent.

R.I.P the iron shiek 

It's awful news to hear, he was always a character that commanded attention one way or another, I think he was made for the wrestling business 

I always love hearing about his wcw run aswell where he was getting paid staying at home, they brought in him to do jobs, he done them so badly they sent him home again 

You'll be missed shieky baby

• Paid Members

Doesn't he claim to be an Olympic gold medallist as well? I seem to remember him doing an interview with JR for The Ross Report podcast and him talking about it. This was where I first learned about the existence of Fat Ric Flair as well. 

There was a decent episode of that Heroes Of Wrestling series that used to pop up on The Wrestling Channel to fill a half hour in the schedule as well. 

6 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Doesn't he claim to be an Olympic gold medallist as well? I seem to remember him doing an interview with JR for The Ross Report podcast and him talking about it. This was where I first learned about the existence of Fat Ric Flair as well. 

There was a decent episode of that Heroes Of Wrestling series that used to pop up on The Wrestling Channel to fill a half hour in the schedule as well. 

I know he was an amateur gold medalist in some American competition but I don't think he actually ever made it on to the Olympic team. Wasn't he an Olympic coach though?

• Paid Members

Yeah, he tried out in Greco-Roman for the '68 Olympics, and was a coach for the US team in '72. Somewhere in-between he won gold in the AAU, and all of that has been conflated into people claiming he competed in the Olympics. He probably could have done, he was an absolute beast, but he didn't. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Fat Ric Flair

Was it Ramblin' Ricky Rhodes? There was a great pic of Flair in an old PWI Almanac with a lot of rasslin' history photos, when he was putting as much muscle on as possible, was near to 300lbs and he looked like the lovechild of 70s Hulkster and early 90s Dino Bravo.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, air_raid said:

Was it Ramblin' Ricky Rhodes? There was a great pic of Flair in an old PWI Almanac with a lot of rasslin' history photos, when he was putting as much muscle on as possible, was near to 300lbs and he looked like the lovechild of 70s Hulkster and early 90s Dino Bravo.

He's in the 1973 Wrestler movie as well.