AEW/NJPW Forbidden Door 2023 - June 25th

Supremo

Sting seemed a step off all match, the first time I think he's felt his age out there. But going by the post event media scrum he's going to be around longer than expected, he was saying how Tony has convinced him and he's almost definitely not retiring at Wembley.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Louch said:

I’d not be surprised if the many you seen in punk shirts are booing him too, most big punk fans I know want to see heel Punk and happy to influence it. Much prefer that kinda audience to those that cheer heels they like, booing is the right reaction 

Which heel was it that in a shoot interview famously went off on a tangent along the lines of "I'm a heel, its my job to be the bad guy. I want you to boo. If you boo, I know I'm doing my job well. If you cheer me when I'm trying to get booed, I'm going to think you're a dickhead" ?

9 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Which heel was it that in a shoot interview famously went off on a tangent along the lines of "I'm a heel, its my job to be the bad guy. I want you to boo. If you boo, I know I'm doing my job well. If you cheer me when I'm trying to get booed, I'm going to think you're a dickhead" ?

I dunno the answer, but they are right. Used to hate the cheering heels aspect of britwres as everyone wanted to be the wrestlers pal. I had a guy who was my favourite wrestler but he was on a small show as a heel and I booed him , and he messaged me after thanking me for not trying to split the crowd. That shouldn’t need said to anyone, wrestling is panto and you boo and cheer to interact to help the show. 

• Paid Members

It was a good show with massive highs and only a few lows.

- This might get me lynched by the TildeGuys of the world but are all the big stars at NJPW broken down or short old men? I don't watch NJPW but don't they have any top wrestlers who are under the age of 40 or have working knees?

- MJF vs Tanahashi was fun. MJF's schtick is enjoyable but it's too much ga-ga for a World Champion - he's going to have to step it up and get serious at some point. It worked here though, covering for his opponent looking like his knees were made out of dust.

- Punk/Kojima was good. Punk is so brilliant at timing and selling that you don't even notice how weak as piss all his offence is. Enjoyed this way more than that Mox/Kojima match.

- Four Way for the International title was very contrived but very enjoyable. Garcia is absolutely one of My Boys and I can't get enough of his stupid dance and that it always results in him getting his arse kicked and he still keeps doing it. I love him. Also OC continues to be the absolute BEST. I need to see him vs Sabre Jnr, Sabre feels like a huge threat to him and OC' desperation escalating week to week is amazing storytelling.

- Sanada/Perry was barely anything but the post match angle was very well done. Predictable, yes, but Taz's brilliant reaction perfectly sold it.

- The Elite vs BCC was awesome mad fun, though personally I think BCC should have won this. Takeshita was an absolute beast in this, he's a top star rising for sure. Kingston is so great he's managed to steal all the heat from the Elite/BCC feud in less than two weeks, what a man. Hangman forearming Takeshita out of he sky was fucking brutal and amazing - rematch with these two soon please!

- Omega/Ospreay was obviously magnificent. Felt like next level wrestling from the future. Ospreay played his part well but this was absolutely the Kenny Omega Show. Just an unbelievable performance from one of the best ever. Him getting his face smashed into the table was one of the more brutal things I've seen in years. My only criticism was that I felt Ospreay's blade job didn't really fit into the story of the match or perhaps should have come a bit later but I'm nitpicking. That foot on the ropes nearfall may be the greatest nearfall in wrestling history. Then following it up with the greatest kickout at 1 in wrestling history, good lord. Kenny Omega is the top babyface and needs to be positioned as such, he's a once in a lifetime guy.

- The Sting/Jericho six man was a mess and a waste of something that could have been really special. I don't really think anything in this worked. Darby and Suzuki doing a strike/forearm trade off at the later end of a show filled with them was exhausting to watch. Wouldn't mind a Darby/Suzuki singles match in the future though. The crowd were exhausted, the wrestlers never really clicked...a real pity.

- Okada/Danielson...as someone who has never seen Okada before I didn't know what to expect but felt like I didn't really get much from him. He just seemed like a pretty average generic wrestler based on this one appearance. It was fine but never really stepped up another gear. Danielson's seizure faking just felt completely out of place on a match based entirely around "who is the best wrestler ever" and then Okada just ignored it anyway. Pretty uncomfortable viewing to watch Danielson spend the last 10 minutes with a limp dangling arm too.

So overall I enjoyed it alot but can New Japan send over some younger wrestlers next time?

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

It was a good show with massive highs and only a few lows.

- This might get me lynched by the TildeGuys of the world but are all the big stars at NJPW broken down or short old men? I don't watch NJPW but don't they have any top wrestlers who are under the age of 40 or have working knees?

There's a bit of a lag on star power in Japan and marketability in the US - guys like Tanahashi and Suzuki are booked far more as legacy acts than as top stars in NJPW, rarely bothering the main event or getting involved in the World title picture, Kojima even moreso. The combination of that and some fallow years starpower-wise during the pandemic, after years of over-reliance on a small pool, certainly give that impression. 

The actual main event title picture these days is more Okada, Sanada, and Shingo Takagi, with guys like Naito a rung or two below, and building younger talent like Yota Tsuji. But most of the younger guys are relatively untested in top positions, by NJPW standards where they tend to be pretty conservative bookers and take their time pulling the trigger on anyone (at least, historically), so don't feel as much part of the NJPW brand as the older guys that have already had years to get their name out there. 

EDIT: What's surprising for an old tape trader like Tony Khan, and a company with Omega and the Young Bucks in a prominent position, is that across both Forbidden Door shows they've gone exclusively for the heavyweights, with very little in the way of Junior Heavyweight representation. Plenty of younger talents in that division that would be a great fit for AEW. 

Edited by BomberPat

Kojima to his credit though can still absolutely go when called on. He was by far the best of the old guys on the show imo. 

MJF and Tana worked a really smart match but I agree that MJF needs to change his routine up a little.

Good point by BomberPat about the lack of Junior Heavyweight representation, never thought of that until now.

One annoyance was Takeshita wiping out Ishii with that brutal forearm only for him to return later like it was nothing, was sold like he was being taken out of the match. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

One annoyance was Takeshita wiping out Ishii with that brutal forearm only for him to return later like it was nothing, was sold like he was being taken out of the match. 

He went down like a sack of shit and was down for quite a while. I don’t think a forearm is a move people usually get taken out of matches by, regardless of how good they are.

On 6/27/2023 at 8:53 AM, Louch said:

I’d not be surprised if the many you seen in punk shirts are booing him too, most big punk fans I know want to see heel Punk and happy to influence it. Much prefer that kinda audience to those that cheer heels they like, booing is the right reaction 

That's a really good point, actually. I'm hoping he goes full-on heel in this situation he's found himself in. I mean, let's be honest, even if fans might consider the Bucks, Omega and Hangman to be over-sensitive tits in the Punk/Elite carry-on, it's very difficult to boo those guys when they're in the ring. The stuff they do, the way they work, you can't help but cheer them.

2 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

He went down like a sack of shit and was down for quite a while. I don’t think a forearm is a move people usually get taken out of matches by, regardless of how good they are.

It was probably more of an announcing issue than anything, they sold it like he was out for good. 

Only a small nitpick on my part. 

• Awards Moderator
On 6/26/2023 at 4:09 PM, TheScarlettChad said:

The Final Countdown gave me goosebumps. 

Same.

I thought that show was really good, a definite step up from last year’s Forbidden Door.

Punk/Kojima was solid stuff. Four way was lots of fun. Taz’s reaction at the turn was outstanding and it was a nice touch that they took him off the broadcast after that. Ten man tag was great. Omega/Ospreay hooked me, and the kick out at 1 was my favourite moment of the show.

Agree with @Merzbow that this might be the first time in AEW where Sting felt a bit out of step. Also agree with the people who disliked the convulsions in the main event - I assume it was being done to play on Danielson’s injury history, but I know enough about that history that it took me out of the match. However, I had no idea he’d legit broken his arm and thought that was all just selling so I’m clearly just a mark who can’t tell what’s real and what’s not! 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Sure Danielson playing up his past injuries was a little cheap but not something I'm getting too worked up about.

Things seemed to go downhill in the six man after Sammy's botched diving cutter, looked like Sting might have took a knock to the head.

Was worried he might have hurt his neck again, at first.