The Office

SuperBacon

Even in 2023, I recommended The Office to a friend whose never watched it, and they now absolutely adore it, and have even already started to rewatch it. Shows how amazing it is, as I don't think there's many other comedies that this would be the case. I bet the vast majority of us on here could probably name at least one person they've switched on to The Office, which speaks volumes as to how good it was 

• Paid Members

I'm running through it for the first time and am currently watching the episode where Toby comes back in series 5 and it's fucking hilarious.

"I'm not wearing a wire, so...."

I love Toby. I've gone back and forth over him a lot on rewatches but I've decided I really love him and the performance by Paul Lieberstein is so underrated. 

I think the story is that he would've been in it a lot more but Paul didn't particularly like acting so didn't suggest/write that many scenes in it with him featured.

I absolutely love when he leaves and why. I like to think that in that split second that he realised his hand was on Pams leg, Costa Rica was just the first thing that came to his mind, and it wasn't something he'd been thinking of for ages and rather than go through the shame of admitting that and not going, he of course went. Amazing.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I love Toby. I've gone back and forth over him a lot on rewatches but I've decided I really love him and the performance by Paul Lieberstein is so underrated.

Considering how intentionally boring his personality is, he's one of the most interesting characters in it for me. His backstory that's hinted at throughout the show is quite tragic. It's really sad when he refuses to go into the church then asks God 'why you gotta be so mean to me?'

Edited by Lorne Malvo

• Paid Members

Later season spoilers... 

Spoiler

I think the writers confirmed that they never had it in mind but I like the idea that Toby was the Scranton Strangler which is why he didn't want to enter the church. 

I love that whole subplot by the way. Quietly introduced in the earlier seasons with a few off hand comments and then becomes quite the thing later. Great stuff. 

I was talking to someone the other day that I can’t watch the UK one as it’s too cringe as have worked with every character type in it over the last 20 years, but the American one feels more comedic so I’m fine with it. There is lots goes wrong as people move on in later seasons, but some truly lovely moments too, like Michael leaving “tomorrow” as for once he doesn’t want a fuss. One of my favourite shows, probably my favourite non uk comedy series 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'm running through it for the first time and am currently watching the episode where Toby comes back in series 5 and it's fucking hilarious.

"I'm not wearing a wire, so...."

HEY EVERYBODY I’M MOVING TO COSTA RICA!

edit: Bacon already mentioned it!

Edited by FelatioLips

• Moderators

I felt like Cafe Disco was when The Office US started to take a dip. A cringey scene at the end where Dwight breaks into dance saying some song is incredible and its some indie band shite that I reckon Rainn Wilson was mates with.

You can always tell which episodes Mindy Kaling or BJ Novak wrote because they always make their character the main one of the episode.

As soon as SABRE starts is where I start to tap out. I think thats when the show runners went off to start Parks & Rec. Although the final season is claws it back a bit.

I think it's the fact that after Michael leaves theres no main character and all the supporting ones because co-main and it's too much.

• Paid Members

I really liked Robert California, definitely a highlight of the poor last couple of seasons. Nellie and Andy almost single handedly ruin them. Erin as well goes from quirky and odd to outright braindead.

Season 2 - Michael Leaving is the way to go with it.