The Goal of the Day Thread

Frankie Crisp

On 4/13/2023 at 12:19 PM, mim731 said:

I still don't understand how this rises the whole time, from that distance. 

There's another goal from around that era involving Atleti which appears to defy the laws of physics. Like most of these, I can't seem to find it in decent quality anywhere so here it is from an Italian news report: 

On 4/13/2023 at 7:32 PM, Statto said:

One that's always stuck with me:

Was a bit surprised it was as late at 97 though, for some reason had it in my head as being more like 93/94.

What I always love about this goal is the Barnsley fan to the right of the goal. Whilst fans around him are either gasping or applauding the sheer brilliance of one of the greatest goals ever scored. His reaction is to stand up, angrily swing his arm, whilst probably shouting "fuck off". 

14 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Didn't we have a thread or a chat on here about players we love from biggest rivals? Well it'd be him easily.

I had to block some people on Twitter who said his turn vs Newcastle was a fluke.

Nothing the bloke ever did was a fluke. A genuine football genius.

• Awards Moderator
12 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Didn't we have a thread or a chat on here about players we love from biggest rivals? Well it'd be him easily.

I had to block some people on Twitter who said his turn vs Newcastle was a fluke.

Absolutely. He’s one of those few players you genuinely smiled at when watching and - every now and again - just burst out laughing at how preposterous they were. This, the Argentina goal, the Leicester hat-trick, the Newcastle fluke (the fuck?)… but you could also react the same to his assists and general play. His mind was always a step ahead of anyone else on the pitch. One of the very best in my lifetime.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I hope you're not talking about Jonny Sharples there, he's a Newcastle fan but one of the absolute funniest of the footy related accounts. The Bergkamp turn fluke is a long time running joke of his, I do hope you didn't get duped by it.

19 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I hope you're not talking about Jonny Sharples there, he's a Newcastle fan but one of the absolute funniest of the footy related accounts. The Bergkamp turn fluke is a long time running joke of his, I do hope you didn't get duped by it.

Nah, I know he jokes about it, but it must've been one of the times he tweeted about it and it was full of replies saying that it WAS a fluke. Bastards.