AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

12 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Yeah, they’ll need some celebs.

Trios Title, House of Black vs. PAC, PJ & Duncan. PJ ends up blinded by the mist, obviously. “He cannae see Excalibur, man!”

I think it was our very own @IANdrewDiceClay who did a thread on Twitter about famous Fulham fans who could attend due to the Khan connection. 

Richard Osman in the corner of Hangman, and Hugh Grant as a special guest ref please. Lily Allen to appear as well as she's just lovely. 

Edit: Just read Ben Chaplin supports Fulham. Tony Khan please book a Skunk Pussies Death Match. 

Edited by SuperBacon
Jizzm monkeys and ginger bastards

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Nick James said:

If we get Bill Roache reciting lines as Ken Barlow with RJ City's Diedre, it will be the greatest show in history. 

Potentially, although personally I’d save this for the inevitable Manchester-based show of 2024, along with the B show that takes place at Blackpool’s Bloomfield Road, where you can run the above and also book Rita’s return to the city where she was previously wronged. The ovation will be the like the first time Bret got to return to Montreal. Interrupted by the Blackpool Combat Club who launch an attack on her. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

I guess Tony Khan could book this one of two ways. He could book it like AEW's Wrestlemania and get the biggest matches he can on board and the odd celeb, or he could book it like a Clash of the Champions (if it's going to be non-PPV) which could potentially be more interesting in terms of match-ups and quality. Either way sounds intriguing.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I guess Tony Khan could book this one of two ways. He could book it like AEW's Wrestlemania and get the biggest matches he can on board and the odd celeb, or he could book it like a Clash of the Champions (if it's going to be non-PPV) which could potentially be more interesting in terms of match-ups and quality. Either way sounds intriguing.

I can't recall exact dates but when did AEW announce their first Double or Nothing? That's been the flagship PPV show for them thus far and it's become a very bankable franchise for them, but if they did want to go down the Wrestlemania-esque route, they've at least given themselves a few months to try to get to that point and perhaps even surpass it. Who knows, we could be looking at their attempt at a Wrestlemania-type contender if it actually takes off. It'll take years to reach the same kind of scale (maybe even decades) but with each passing year, as the buzz grows, it won't take long for them to fill the stadiums and attract more eyes as a result.

1 hour ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

I can't recall exact dates but when did AEW announce their first Double or Nothing? That's been the flagship PPV show for them thus far and it's become a very bankable franchise for them, but if they did want to go down the Wrestlemania-esque route, they've at least given themselves a few months to try to get to that point and perhaps even surpass it. Who knows, we could be looking at their attempt at a Wrestlemania-type contender if it actually takes off. It'll take years to reach the same kind of scale (maybe even decades) but with each passing year, as the buzz grows, it won't take long for them to fill the stadiums and attract more eyes as a result.

Double or Nothing 2019 was announced at the Jacksonville press conference which was the 8th Janaury if I remember right.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

You just know Jericho's going to get Fozzy to play his theme song live just so he can say Fozzy played Wembley Stadium. 

And why not? That's exactly the kind of thing the show will need to get close to the WrestleMania style of presentation they will be aiming for. A stadium full of fans singing along to Judas would be fucking amazing 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

And why not? That's exactly the kind of thing the show will need to get close to the WrestleMania style of presentation they will be aiming for. A stadium full of fans singing along to Judas would be fucking amazing 

I'm not knocking it, I'm one of the few on here who still likes Jericho. 

43 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

If there's already been four hours too much wrestling on the show, then I'd absolutely take another chorus over another match.

They're co-promoting with 1PW?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nick James said:

Not when Jericho is on his 5th encore and the main event is already 4 hours delayed. 

Obviously this is a gag but on a serious note, they'll have to be pretty tight on timing for this as the stadium will have a curfew, I'd imagine?

They're saying 7pm start and 4hr show, I wouldn't have thought they'll be permitted to go on much beyond 11pm? Going to have to keep to times on this unless they want a repeat of the truncated main event from the first All In.

2 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

Plenty of people have said it might be not be a PPV. I've been one of them. I haven't seen a single person say it's a house show.

Warner Bros 100th anniversaray got a mention during the announcement. Which has people jumping on the rebranded HBOMAX and being shown there. Even without that they've had the history of streaming events for free on BR Live or could be tape delayed on one of the WBD channels stateside.

Domestically possibility of being live on ITV4 since it would have ITV invested in promoting the show more than just a live event they'd have nothing to do with.

I know you can piece together all sorts from these investor calls and stories on business news sites and come up with nothing.

However, Tony refused to shop ROH to other content providers and only talks about WBD when discussing their next TV rights deal.  WBD has delayed their new streaming service from Q1 2023 to "the summer".  It all points towards an OTA plus streaming deal with WBD that is already basically done and what better to launch AEW on said new streaming platform than a massive show from Wembley Stadium?  This is why, in part, I'm not sure it matters if they make a penny so long as it's a big deal for WBD.

If that's the case, I assume they'll get a "network" on said platform, sort of like WWE on Peacock and all the archived stuff will go up there.  Why put ROH on your afterthought streaming service unless you want to move it somewhere else? I would assume all their archives and content would move to the service, including ROH and Dark and Elevation.  Plus the supposed third show.

Kinda shit for us in the UK though, given they can't launch anything HBO-related until 2027.