CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, David said:

Your point was that CM Punk doesn't understand what a loaded question is. I disagree. 

😉

timothyolyphant: THE NICE GUYS (2016) dir. Shane... - GIOVANE GRIGORIJ

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Punk only really has the "internet fans" anyway, he's never really been able to seriously appeal to the "casual fan" which is why he never got the proper big sustained WWE main event pushes with the entire machine behind him that Cena, Reigns, Orton or Batista got.

And yet, Punk drew a bigger gate on top as a World Champion in MSG ("the barometer") in 2008 than any of his peers (Cena, Orton, Batista) managed during his first run there. And a number only bettered in the years of his absence by a whopper of a Network special loaded with three title matches including Cena vs Rollins inside a cage and a heavily promoted Brock Lesnar match - his first in the building since leaving in 2004. And for his in-ring return, put an extra 4000 people through the turnstiles than the previous visit, drawing a better gate than even they'd managed in the pre-Mania 32 visit with Roman Reigns and seldom-wrestling Triple H (WWE Champion) on opposite sides of a tag the week before the big one. And nearly double the amount in attendance than the last show there headlined by Lesnar.

Maybe when "internet fans" are the ones that also buy tickets and come to the shows.... they're just... fans?

• Paid Members
Just now, air_raid said:

And yet, Punk drew a bigger gate on top as a World Champion in MSG ("the barometer") in 2008 than any of his peers (Cena, Orton, Batista) managed during his first run there. 

Interesting. What else was on the card? CM Punk Championship run in 2008 wasn't really taken hugely seriously from what I remember at the time. Was it a case of the fans being more invested in it than the company was or was the rest of the card loaded up?

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Interesting. What else was on the card? CM Punk Championship run in 2008 wasn't really taken hugely seriously from what I remember at the time. Was it a case of the fans being more invested in it than the company was or was the rest of the card loaded up?

It was a fairly standard Raw house show card for August 2008, with the main difference between other shows that week being that elsewhere Cena & Batista vs Kane & Y2J was going on last with Punk vs JBL on underneath no DQ, but at MSG Cena & Dave played support and Punk vs Bradshaw went on last inside a cage. Otherwise, fuck all special - Cryme Tyme vs Cody & Ted, Santino vs Kofi for the ICT, Beth vs Mickie and three other matches not worth mentioning. It was approx 50% up from the last time they'd been there for "just a house show" back in 2005, though they'd done PPVs (including the Rumble that year) and several TV tapings inbetween.

This is the best I could phrase my opinion on that particular attendance :

On 7/22/2023 at 1:38 PM, air_raid said:

I need to touch on that 19,068. At MSG the company cries “sellout” at anything around 16,750 seats sold, which is one north of the number reported for Survivor Series 2011 where THE ROCK got back in the ring. 19,068 is a number Steve Austin would have been proud of, actually beats some of the attendances in the halcyon days of 98-99 including SummerSlam 98 by reportedly 2 bodies, and is within touching distance of the famed 19,506 from just before Fully Loaded 98… and I can tell you based on numbers of every other drawing card that main evented the building from Austin onwards, that number of hardcore wrestling came to the Garden to see CM Punk defend one of the World titles of WWE. The talking heads on the Network will always tell you New York is the yardstick and they’ll tell you who they like. Well, in August 2008 they spoke with their wallets and WWE didn’t listen.

Edited by air_raid
Lisa needs braces!

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Best news coming out of that Helwani interview was him mentioning that the injury isn’t as bad as last time and shouldn’t keep him out as long. Best for business, the product and Punk’s mental health if he’s not forced to sit at and stew on stuff. Hopefully he’s back soon. If I wasn’t so desperate to see DM Hunk raise gold on Sunday, I reckon there’d be a huge pop if Punk took off that arm brace and walloped Drew with it, costing him the match.

But yeah. Lord, giving me the confidence of CM Punk in 2024, using his most recent injury to explain how WWE’s medical care is so fantastic, and vastly superior to AEW’s. Both he and Helwani nearly suffocating for the size of the elephant in the room, where -you know - Punk spent millions of dollars and lost his best friend in order to go to court and prove WWE’s medical care nearly killed him. So spectacularly full of shit. The worker’s worker.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

The beauty of DM Hunk is in how crap it is, combined with how proud he is every time he says it.

It’s a great character for 2024. There’s something really entertaining about a rubbish troll, coming up with the lamest bait, desperate for a reaction. Pure screaming into the void energy.

30 minutes ago, Supremo said:

There’s something really entertaining about a rubbish troll, coming up with the lamest bait, desperate for a reaction. Pure screaming into the void energy.

It's definitely not a gimmick I hope he drops any time soon. 

43 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Why are you scared? It's just another part of Drew's trolling of Punk. It will have a shelf life but its not done with yet. 

I like the gimmick, I just cringe at the name, but I guess that's the point!

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

There’s something really entertaining about a rubbish troll, coming up with the lamest bait, desperate for a reaction. Pure screaming into the void energy.

He’d get Houchen’d on this forum for sure!  

This may be common knowledge to everyone else on here but it was a surprise to me; as I was watching RAW Homecoming from 2005 the other day on the network and there's a lad front and centre with a hatful of signs that he shows throughout the night and during the main event (John Cena v Eric Bischoff for the WWE Title) one of his many was CM Punk is the future.

During the Michaels/Angle Iron Man match there was "my myspace name is Nature Brad". That hit home how old the episode was because he was advertising myspace. Ian Rotter = king of hardcore. Matt Sydal of all fucking things. He had plenty of others as well.

17 minutes ago, JimmyAnderson said:

This may be common knowledge to everyone else on here but it was a surprise to me; as I was watching RAW Homecoming from 2005 the other day on the network and there's a lad front and centre with a hatful of signs that he shows throughout the night and during the main event (John Cena v Eric Bischoff for the WWE Title) one of his many was CM Punk is the future.

During the Michaels/Angle Iron Man match there was "my myspace name is Nature Brad". That hit home how old the episode was because he was advertising myspace. Ian Rotter = king of hardcore. Matt Sydal of all fucking things. He had plenty of others as well.

Ok.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, JimmyAnderson said:

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN