Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted September 7, 2025 Moderators Posted September 7, 2025 No, what's stupid about it is that they are a bunch of stupid racist cunts. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted September 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 7, 2025 59 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said: No, what's stupid about it is that they are a bunch of stupid racist cunts. Alright, one of the less prominent, less obvious stupid things about it is what I said. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted September 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 7, 2025 2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said: Yeah I think for us BC or Dubai are the most realistic options. Vancouver much preferred, but harder for us to find work in our sectors. I don't know your situation Chest but it comes to something when the government of the UAE is considered the more liberal choice. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted September 7, 2025 Moderators Posted September 7, 2025 I don't remember saying anything about liberalism. Look I don't love it as an option, but all the western ideals on paper don't mean anything when this is the reality of day to day life. All things considered, compared to here, it would be a better life for my family. And we have a good support network already there, and my wife may be able to keep her current job working there, so it's more viable than other options. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted September 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 7, 2025 The support network bit makes the most sense. Other than the places you've already mentioned, I can only think Singapore might be a good option. Aus and NZ are currently in the throes of their own battles against the far right, and the usual suggestions of the Scandi countries are geographically a bit too close to Russia and right-wing Europe for comfort. Quote
Paid Members Kamran Posted September 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 7, 2025 (edited) 23 hours ago, westlondonmist said: I think the media like them for clicks and what not but don't actually want them in power and I think they have the power to stop it. Isn’t this a bit like what happened with Trump in his first run for president? At the time, the media gave him plenty of coverage (he was good for ratings and clicks) but not many believed he could win. What worries me is the similarity. Once Trump did win, he leaned heavily into the “fake news media” narrative, which just increased tensions. It’s not hard to see how a person/party can exploit mistrust in the news by feeding people selective or misleading stats that confirm their bias. I feel like we've already got plenty of people mistrusting the news over here (calling the likes of BBC/Guardian etc as woke/fake news) but happily believe anything GB News tell them. If people are already moving away from more trustworthy sources to the likes of GB News, it will be easier for them to gain more momentum. Edited September 7, 2025 by Kamran Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted September 7, 2025 Members Posted September 7, 2025 @Chest Rockwell Canada has poutine, Dubai hasn't. Choice made Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted September 7, 2025 Moderators Posted September 7, 2025 The state of that nation's cuisine when cheesy chips is their national dish.... Quote
deathrey Posted September 7, 2025 Posted September 7, 2025 (edited) 2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said: I don't know your situation Chest but it comes to something when the government of the UAE is considered the more liberal choice. I can only speak for my self here but my number one concern is where my children would be safest and happiest and whilst there are many things I don't like about UAE, those two things are certainly going to be met at least for the next 10 years in UAE. I don't have a support network there but I have lots of family and friends in BC Canada so that would be my natural choice. My husband would likely find work quite easily out there, however I don't think I would so there is lots of things to consider. We are also carers for my mother in law and moving would leave her high and dry. There is a part of me that feels like I need to stay out of defiance because they want to push us out, but this is my home and the only home I've ever known so why should I be made to leave? But then I look at my kids and think none of that matters if they aren't safe and I'm not sure they are safe here, particularly my eldest child who is autistic. Edited September 7, 2025 by deathrey Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted September 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 7, 2025 23 hours ago, JNLister said: Maybe I’ve missed it, but has any journalist asked ‘free speech warrior’ Nigel Farage about the time he called for police action when Jo Brand made a joke about tossing battery acid over him instead of milkshake? Every article that quotes Farage about this should mention it because it’s fucking relevant and immediately exposes both his hypocrisy (which is present right throughout Reform’s policies) and what this is actually about for them and their followers. Most journalists are failing every step of the way in their coverage of him. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted September 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 7, 2025 3 minutes ago, RedTwoster said: Maybe I’ve missed it, but has any journalist asked ‘free speech warrior’ Nigel Farage about the time he called for police action when Jo Brand made a joke about tossing battery acid over him instead of milkshake? Every article that quotes Farage about this should mention it because it’s fucking relevant and immediately exposes both his hypocrisy (which is present right throughout Reform’s policies) and what this is actually about for them and their followers. He won't care and neither will his supporters. There's no "gotcha" moment when dealing with the far right. Pointing out their bullshit and hypocrisy doesn't do anything. Their hate is far too strong for any of that to work. Quote
The King Of Swing Posted September 7, 2025 Posted September 7, 2025 Like Farage, his supporters don't actually believe in free speech. So as stated, there is no gotcha. The media should still absolutely bring it up though. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted September 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 7, 2025 30 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: He won't care and neither will his supporters. There's no "gotcha" moment when dealing with the far right. Pointing out their bullshit and hypocrisy doesn't do anything. Their hate is far too strong for any of that to work. I couldn’t disagree more. There are cultists of course, and there are people who won’t care. But there aren’t enough people like that to get them over the line in an election. There are people whose vote is up for grabs, who might lean towards Reform because they don’t fully understand who they are and what they represent. Actually exposing them matters. But heck, even if you’re right, that’s not a reason not to do it. The point of a journalist is to expose hypocrisy and uncover the truth. You’re obviously not going to get that with most of the print press, but there are so many broadcasters who are inadvertently paving the way for this man to stroll into number 10 by completely failing to hold him to account. Quote
Tim Healys Chutney Spoon Posted September 7, 2025 Posted September 7, 2025 4 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said: The state of that nation's cuisine when cheesy chips is their national dish.... Cheesy chips in gravy at that! Still you lot carry on moaning about politicians, feel a bit for me please! My MP is Kemi Badenough sorry Badenoch. Never seen in the constituency and doesn't give a toss unless it will advance her career. She's never got over the residents party taking control of the District Council and hence her taking the planning powers away from them to fuck over the whole constituency Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted September 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 7, 2025 The problem with Farage supporters is, again, the Benjamin Franklin adage that you can't reason people out of a position they didn't reason themselves into. Words and PR campaigns aren't going to fix this; experiential situations will. The only thing that will blunt the ire of the working class (and therefore the majority) of the far right and their supporters is a material improvement in their general quality of life, e.g. their money going further, their bills being lower, their health being seen to quickly, their public services being more efficient, their children getting decent education enough for them to earn a living, and a chance to buy their own home (or, at least freedom from the fear of homelessness). Labour relying on a slavish devotion to the neoliberalist, monetarist school of economics is not going to do that, because what helped to cause the damage is not going to heal it. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.