Members SuperBacon Posted July 4, 2025 Members Posted July 4, 2025 26 minutes ago, Jazzy G said: but there's that danger that under our current electoral system it's just going to further split the vote and let Reform in? I don't think you're doing this here, but this is a very sad way of looking at things, and is almost saying "Well there's no point in voting for anyone other than Labour" etc If you want to vote for a left leaning party because that's what you believe in, you should. I understand tactical voting blocks and the need to do that, I really do, and yeah maybe it is one of the faults of the system we have, but the thought of having to vote for someone to potentially keep someone out* is beyond depressing. Also another thing, if it does splinter the vote and hand votes to a far right party, that is the fault of one Arsenal fan within the Labour party and not the one with the initials JC *aware that this is basically the essence of voting and I've worded it badly. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted July 4, 2025 Paid Members Posted July 4, 2025 I found out yesterday that my MP, who is Labour, voted in favour of proscribing Palestine Action. Labour lost my vote before the last election with what they did to the left of their party, but this has only cemented it further. If Cortana's party goes ahead, and they were to put up a candidate in my constituency, I'd vote. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted July 4, 2025 Paid Members Posted July 4, 2025 13 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: I don't think you're doing this here, but this is a very sad way of looking at things, and is almost saying "Well there's no point in voting for anyone other than Labour" etc If you want to vote for a left leaning party because that's what you believe in, you should. I understand tactical voting blocks and the need to do that, I really do, and yeah maybe it is one of the faults of the system we have, but the thought of having to vote for someone to potentially keep someone out* is beyond depressing. Also another thing, if it does splinter the vote and hand votes to a far right party, that is the fault of one Arsenal fan within the Labour party and not the one with the initials JC *aware that this is basically the essence of voting and I've worded it badly. As I've said countless times before it's the system that's broken. First Past The Post renders a lot of parties near irrelevant in term of getting to have a chance in government. If this new party put a candidate in my area I'd want to vote for them, but have a feeling it's going to come down to Reform Candidate Vs pro Gaza independent. Quote
deathrey Posted July 4, 2025 Posted July 4, 2025 On 6/6/2025 at 2:38 PM, LaGoosh said: I've never been to Scotland - is the population particularly diverse? Do they have much in the way of an immigrant population? I just assumed everyone up there was white for the most part but I'm likely wrong. There is a decent Asian population too - particularly in the big cities. I have family in Glasgow and Ayr. There is a big Punjabi Sikh population in Glasgow and my cousin is married to a Pakistani Muslim from Glasgow - all of his family is in Scotland and they say there is a big population in Edinburgh and Glasgow. Quote
deathrey Posted July 4, 2025 Posted July 4, 2025 29 minutes ago, Carbomb said: If Cortana's party goes ahead, and they were to put up a candidate in my constituency, I'd vote. I feel 100% the same. I will definitely vote for them. I've felt so disillusioned with politics over the last couple of years mainly because I really felt no one really represented me. This party actually might. Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted July 4, 2025 Paid Members Posted July 4, 2025 2 hours ago, Jazzy G said: Zahra Sultana quitting Labour and saying she'll set up her own left leaning party with blackjack, hookers, Hi. Would you mind explaining that. I'm thoroughly confused by it. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted July 4, 2025 Paid Members Posted July 4, 2025 40 minutes ago, BigJag said: Hi. Would you mind explaining that. I'm thoroughly confused by it. It was a Futurama reference, as demonstrated by @organizedkaos Quote
Guest Posted July 4, 2025 Posted July 4, 2025 (edited) 3 hours ago, Jazzy G said: Zahra Sultana quitting Labour and saying she'll set up her own left leaning party with blackjack, hookers, and Jeremy Corbyn is all well and good, but there's that danger that under our current electoral system it's just going to further split the vote and let Reform in? That risk does not really exist, but expect Labour to use it over and over again over the next few years to try and stop you voting for the new party/lib dems. Ignore it, and vote for who you want. Edited July 4, 2025 by Duke Quote
Merzbow Posted July 4, 2025 Posted July 4, 2025 (edited) I've seen a lot of "why don't they join the Greens instead of splitting the left?". A. "The Left" isn't a homogenous group. B. Would either side even want each other? Members of the Greens have been too happy to throw the antisemitism claims at Corbyn etc before. They're not a socialist party. Edited July 4, 2025 by Merzbow Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted July 4, 2025 Paid Members Posted July 4, 2025 In many ways this new party is ostensibly the anti-reform. Quote
Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted July 4, 2025 Paid Members Posted July 4, 2025 Well, its making me feel optimistic that there will be a party for me to actually be enthused about. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 4, 2025 Members Posted July 4, 2025 This is absolutely disgusting. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2025/jul/04/ban-on-palestine-action-to-take-effect-after-legal-challenge-fails Quote
Paid Members Nexus Posted July 4, 2025 Paid Members Posted July 4, 2025 It doesn't inspire confidence that Zarah posted her resignation yesterday, and then Jezza was like "yeah, I might be making a new party." Surely you'd ensure everyone had their ducks in a row before kicking off. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.