Chico Torres Posted July 4, 2025 Posted July 4, 2025 The Labour Party needs to be destroyed for their complicity in genocide and what they did to Corbyn. The tories are finished and now an irrelevance, time to finish these scum too. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 17, 2025 Members Posted July 17, 2025 I think this is excellent news to be honest. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2025/jul/17/voting-age-to-be-lowered-to-16-in-england-and-northern-ireland Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted July 17, 2025 Moderators Posted July 17, 2025 Don't care that much about the age thing because kids won't fucking vote anyway but expanding the eligible IDs is really good. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 17, 2025 Members Posted July 17, 2025 5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said: Don't care that much about the age thing because kids won't fucking vote anyway but expanding the eligible IDs is really good. How do you know if they've never been given the option? Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted July 17, 2025 Moderators Posted July 17, 2025 Because the younger people are the less likely they are to turnout to vote. It's a very clear trend we can extrapolate from. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 17, 2025 Members Posted July 17, 2025 4 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said: Because the younger people are the less likely they are to turnout to vote. Yes I know that older people have larger turn outs, but saying "kids won't fucking vote anyway" just sounds like such a pessimistic way of looking at things. Might as well not bother lowering it then. The more (eligible) people that vote, the better. Even if it follows that trend and it is, as you reckon, a small % of people, that's better than 0% isn't it? You can work and pay taxes at 16, you should be able to vote. The key is engagement. I know if I asked my 15yo if she wanted to vote when she's 16, it would absolutely be a yes, and I'm willing to bet its very similar with her friend set as well. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted July 17, 2025 Paid Members Posted July 17, 2025 Absolutely true, Chest. But this would be a great opportunity to make polling incredibly easy for them and get people used to a lifetime of making their vote count and holding people to account. It won't happen because the right will cry and cry if they put polling stations in schools but what an opportunity to do something radical. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 17, 2025 Members Posted July 17, 2025 Just now, tiger_rick said: polling stations in schools They already are. I've voted at a school. Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted July 17, 2025 Paid Members Posted July 17, 2025 LONDON YOUTHS mark ballot papers with KNIVES and DEMAND free meals. I have to remain a little hopeful about the voting age change. Having the option at all is something. Anecdotally I know my nieces were gutted they couldn’t vote for Jezza or on the EU referendum. Sample size of 2 obviously, but denying those who ARE engaged is a good way to further the cycle of young voter apathy. The longer the you shut them out, the easier it is to propagate this idea that “politics” is something completely detached from real life and doesn’t apply to them. We may never see a youthquake, and obviously a bigger barrier to engagement is year after year of business-as-usual Neoliberalism and austerity. Like my nieces NOW with a choice between tories and other tories… their age is not the issue. Also the electoral system itself and the feeling that votes are wasted regardless. But still, at least if there is someone who manages even a shred of engagement with youth vote, the fact that some of them, ANY of them, will be able to act on it, is a good thing. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted July 17, 2025 Paid Members Posted July 17, 2025 17 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: They already are. I've voted at a school. So have I actually! But I meant at all schools for all Y11/12/13 pupils eligible. Quote
King Coconut Posted July 17, 2025 Posted July 17, 2025 25 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: friend set Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 17, 2025 Members Posted July 17, 2025 3 minutes ago, King Coconut said: Ok, friend group? Fucking hell. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted July 17, 2025 Moderators Posted July 17, 2025 (edited) Sorry, didn't mean to sound too pessimistic, I do think it's a good thing! I was more trying to say the voter ID point would be more impactful in the short term. Edit: also, yeah, a lot of schools are already polling stations anyway. Edited July 17, 2025 by Chest Rockwell Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 17, 2025 Members Posted July 17, 2025 Just now, Chest Rockwell said: Sorry, didn't mean to sound too pessimistic, I do think it's a good thing! I was more trying to say the voter ID point would be more impactful in the short term. I wonder if we'll ever get to the point of compulsory voting like Australia. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.