You’ve outstayed your welcome

garynysmon

14 hours ago, BomberPat said:

the thing with "The Greatest Match Ever" is that it's actually a good example of why Randy Orton is Actually Good. Almost everyone else during that no-fans period was still working at the same pace, same rhythm, as they would with a full crowd, still leaving the same pauses and beats for a reaction. Orton in that match is quite interesting to watch in terms of how there are times when he would ordinarily slow down, where there he speeds up, or leaves very little breathing room, because the purpose of those pauses is to elicit a response, and with no crowd there's no need. But that's a level of detail that should be of more interest as a reference material for a training school than as a hotly promoted PPV match, and the branding was insane, even before they had the ghost of Howard Finkel announce it, so it's not a match that will ever be remembered for things like small detail work and timing, because it was sold as something it could never possibly be.

Im really down on the negativity because it was a REALLY good match. Had some great throw backs to little things they've done previously, including a nod to Christian vs Orton.  Was it the greatest match of all time, probably not, but it was a bloody excellent  match which  I thoroughly enjoyed and which saw me go "yeah... bloody good effort guys."

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, air_raid said:

I dunno, I always thought the Jackhammer looked pretty powerful. One of the best ones he did was the smooth rotation with zero delay on Raven who was fairly average size, in winning the US title in one of the two contenders for "best five minute match of the 90s."

I hope Owen vs Kid at LOTR 1994 is the other?

Orton probably could have benefited from a few years away, or another place to work, but he’s went 20 years making multi millions per year and he’s the kinda guy wrestlers should be trying to emulate to make real money in wrestling. Anyone who’s had a top top run in the states has done in by doing less. 

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, air_raid said:

The Rainmaker reverses into a short-arm RKO really nicely. In fact, Rainmaking cutter is exactly the kind of indyriffic stuff someone should be using as a finish in a leisure centre somewhere.

I'm pretty sure Madison Rayne has done a ripcord cutter a few times in AEW. I only remember it because it's been the only notable thing about her AEW run so far.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Im really down on the negativity because it was a REALLY good match. Had some great throw backs to little things they've done previously, including a nod to Christian vs Orton.  Was it the greatest match of all time, probably not, but it was a bloody excellent  match which  I thoroughly enjoyed and which saw me go "yeah... bloody good effort guys."

Compared to that long, drawn out snooze fest of a last man standing match they'd had at Mania with the snooker commentary, anything would probably feel like the best match ever, especially when they had a 9 count for the first near finish of the match. 

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, mim731 said:

I hope Owen vs Kid at LOTR 1994 is the other?

Yes, I was vague on purpose as an Easter egg to long term keffers who know this is indeed the answer.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Yes, I was vague on purpose as an Easter egg to long term keffers who know this is indeed the answer.

Sorry for missing the subtlety, but glad we agree (as everyone should) that it's one of the best sub 5 min matches of the 90s.