Wrestling Awards - Match of the Year 2022

Frankie Crisp

Wrestling Awards - Match of the Year 2022  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Anarchy in the Arena criminally underrepresented, here. Somewhere, Mox’s music is still playing on repeat, everyone going nuts.

Zayn and Knoxville get the nod from me. A small glimpse of how much fun WWE could be. Hurry up and sell that company to people with a proper sense of humour, rather than oddballs whose idea of a, “funny story,” is Chris Benoit bullying rookies.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

If there was any justice FTR v Briscoes would be walking this. One of the best tag matches I've ever seen. Sami Zayn vs Knoxville was definitely one of the most enjoyable and fun matches this year, but it didn't get the nod over that. Gunther vs Seamus was good, but having seen them both on the indies, it was nothing special, but can see why WWE only fans liked it so much. Much better matches this year then that IMO.

• Paid Members

Why did I not mention Okada Vs Ospreay from Wrestle Kingdom? Or Josh Alexander Vs Moose from last year's Hard To Kill. This is what I get for not watching much wrestling all year. 

• Paid Members

A really solid list, but has to be Sheamus vs. Gunther for me - I watched that show on the big screen in a pub, for the sheer novelty of being able to do so. There was a table of old cockney blokes talking about boxing sat behind me, who complained that the wrestling was on, made fun of it, and even cried foul at adverts for MMA shows, but even they got suckered into Gunther vs. Sheamus, because it was just too big lads leathering each other, with no obvious pro-wrestling tells. There was a point during that match where I was the only person at the bar, but I had to wait to get served because all three members of bar staff were turned round watching the screen. I've not seen another match all year that could do that.

Knoxville vs. Zayn was brilliant, and any other year would have got my vote. It's not just - as @Supremo said - that it showed how funny wrestling can genuinely be, but that you could see all of the ways that it could have been standard shit WWE prop comedy, but that it managed to elevate itself beyond that. You can easily envision the same match with someone like Santino Marella in the Sami Zayn role, mugging and pratfalling, while Hornswoggle runs about and Michael Cole fake laughs. Sami Zayn playing the whole thing straight was the kind of comedy work WWE is almost always incapable of, because they're allergic to subtlety, and that's what made it.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Yes they are too big aren't they? Spanish midgets is where it's at.

This reminds me of the old Graham Norton “Ooh it’s too big!” signatures dished out by the moderators when a user had uploaded one that exceeded the guidelines. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

This reminds me of the old Graham Norton “Ooh it’s too big!” signatures dished out by the moderators when a user had uploaded one that exceeded the guidelines. 

My favourite one I think is still when Midas put a quote from Mr Seven in his that said “Midas is King and he holds me so tight” and Mr Seven eventually ended up begging him to take it off and he wouldn’t.

That’s how I remember it anyway, I might have some details slightly off.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

My favourite one I think is still when Midas put a quote from Mr Seven in his that said “Midas is King and he holds me so tight” and Mr Seven eventually ended up begging him to take it off and he wouldn’t.

It was a song lyric from one of the tracks he put in his Top 100 thread, IIRC. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Hahahaha, fucking glorious. I forgot all about that. A rare and great win for Mr Midas over a complete and utter cunt.