TNA… Cross the Line again

garynysmon

• Paid Members

Deonna Purazzo is an amazing wrestler. Easily one of, if not the best knockouts they've got. 

On 4/28/2023 at 10:19 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

Deonna Purazzo is an amazing wrestler. Easily one of, if not the best knockouts they've got. 

100% agree to be fair she always puts on a good match and her last one was worthy of the main event to be fair

• Paid Members

Signings like Trinity always catch me out because I haven’t watched WWE in years and don’t really know who she is.

I watched the Mickie James Royal Rumble when she was Impact champion, so I must have seen her in that, but will have to bow to everyone else’s superior knowledge on if she’s any kind of star or how good she is!

3 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Signings like Trinity always catch me out because I haven’t watched WWE in years and don’t really know who she is.

I watched the Mickie James Royal Rumble when she was Impact champion, so I must have seen her in that, but will have to bow to everyone else’s superior knowledge on if she’s any kind of star or how good she is!

I always thought she was alright but nothing spectacular. So I'm always surprised when people say she should've been pushed more etc. I never really got that from her. But I'm sure she'll do great in Impact and she has a lot to offer.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I always thought she was alright but nothing spectacular. So I'm always surprised when people say she should've been pushed more etc. I never really got that from her. But I'm sure she'll do great in Impact and she has a lot to offer.

Impact is probably the right level for her to land at, at this stage. There was a point when WWE should have capitalised on her and she could have been a bigger star, but the reasons why aren't anything that WWE would have been able to do competently.

There was a Rumble where she returned from injury, in really good gear, with an incredible afro, and it got over huge with black women on Twitter. It was one of those situations where there was potential for really seeing something there, and finding a largely untapped market, but WWE aren't the company to pull that off. I don't think Impact are either, but it's a good place for her to be a bit of a big fish in a small pond.

• Paid Members

She's not too bad in the ring, but there's enough talent in that roster that should be able to get a good match out of her. 

Impact have been really good at allowing people to gain skills and confidence and sometimes even reinvent themselves. If you'd told me Steve Maclin would be as great to watch as he is now I would've laughed my head off. So yeah I think it's a decent place for her to thrive for now.

45 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Impact have been really good at allowing people to gain skills and confidence and sometimes even reinvent themselves. If you'd told me Steve Maclin would be as great to watch as he is now I would've laughed my head off. So yeah I think it's a decent place for her to thrive for now.

Same with W. Morrissey.

He turned up in great shape, got his presentation down, was presented seriously and his limited number of strengths were played to. 

That’s more important that people realise these days given his meandering journey in AEW so far.

I agree that Impact have essentially repurposed themselves as a polishing shop for lost toys and I think Trinity will be more wanted by other companies when she comes out of the other side. 

In my opinion, she’s a decent wrestler (no more) with an individual gear style, dynamic movements and a (let’s be frank) noticeably protruding backside that she deploys as part of her arsenal. But in Impact, there’s every chance, they can tap into something more. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, JLM said:

I find the quiet Impact crowds quite jarring when I’ve watched recommended matches etc. so this reaction is lovely to see. 

Yeah, you're exactly right. The sometimes (but not always) sparsely filled or poorly mic'd venues have been known to kill otherwise good segments that deserved better.

Cicero Stadium in Chicago is becoming a pretty loyal and perfectly sized stop for Impact, as is Windsor, Ontario. 

Filming against the video wall when there was a perfectly good crowd in attendance just fed the "LOL Impact only gets 50 fans" narrative you see online, which has been an unfair criticism since the pandemic. So glad they've started to show the crowd again.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

Screenshot2023-05-05at11_56_42.thumb.png.5e6e9ccc8330d55149afa1e8868bd3e8.png

Overall - Now then! Thought it was an absolute cracker of an episode this week. The best Impact I've seen since I've been regularly re-watching. Action was great from bell-to-bell, there's the big moment for Trinity and there were some great backstage bits too. If you're a lapsed fan reading these hallowed pages with nothing better to do, this is as good a week as any for you to jump back in. 

👍 Trinity - Excellent debut appearance where I thought they nailed the execution and were helped by a game Chicago audience. A good promo and some good business done around the Knockouts title. On the Knockouts more generally - they've got a seriously exciting division on their hands at the moment which more than holds up to the 'big two' promotions in terms of quality. Impact also consistently features the talents in a prominent manner, including main eventing the previous PPV and having the main event segment dedicated to them on this show. Great stuff. 

👍 Detective Dango - Two brilliant backstage segments with Dango, Joe Hendry and later Trey Miguel. Genuinely funny wrestling comedy. Loved the Mike Tenay reference. Top patter.

👍 Six-man tag - Good action again and some good business in general. PCO continues to amaze. Heath always brings a smile to my face. Maclin vs PCO has some real potential to be a cracker of a brawl at Under Siege. 

👍 Speedball/Gresham - A technical masterclass and thoroughly enjoyable. Very unique compared to other matches on the show because of the superb chain wrestling sequences which formed the backbone of it. 

👍 Moose/Myers vs Uemura/Gujar - Decent opener. What's Moose doing slumming it in the tag ranks though? Hopefully it's a temporary assignment for the big lad. 

👍 Jody Threat/Alisha Edwards - A good sprint. Jody's got the makings of a fun babyface for the Knockout ranks. 

👎 Sami Callihan vs Kon - To be fair the match had its moments - a Big E special of two meaty men slapping meat. The visual of all of the hooded attackers descending on Sami looked the part. It's just not a feud that's grabbing me. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter