TNA… Cross the Line again

garynysmon

• Paid Members

Moose has been treading water for a bit, which is understandable given his contract status was up in the air and they weren't going to get behind someone who was potentially fucking off. So the news that he's now sticking around for the foreseeable is fantastic.

I was a bit surprised as to the manner that Maclin lost the title, but at least he's tied up in a high-ish feud on the Slammiversary card so can't be in the dog house.

They're clearly going for a Nick Aldis title win over a babyface at Slammiversary, which will probably lead to a big match with Josh Alexander when he's healed up.

I was never too high or too down on Aldis, and not necessarily a fan of his Bockwinkel knock off gimmick, but he does have a presence at least.

I tend to cruise through wrestling shows and would be useless at analysing them segment by segment, but thought that this week’s was a particularly easy watch.

• Paid Members

Overall - Not a banger this week and to be honest the whole show is pretty skippable. That's not to say it was terrible - if anything it's a backhanded compliment because Impact has been a thoroughly enjoyable watch of late. The action was mostly good, just not quite Carling. 

👍 Bully Ray/Maclin vs Kazarian/Edwards - Not the best main event in comparison to recent weeks of Impact but still perfectly serviceable. 

👍 Dirty Dango vs Bhuphinder Gujjar - Short but sweet. Dango's pre-match promo 'man, do I hate professional wrestling' was a nice touch. Always love a Santino cameo. 

👍 Backstage bits - Some good angle advancement on the show. D'Amore kept things bubbling over nicely with regard to Bully Ray and Maclin, and the Shelley/Jimmy Jacobs exchange around Nick Aldis was also good patter. 

👍 Digital Media Title: Joe Hendry vs. Yuya Uemura - Match of the night. I still believe in big Joe. 

👎 OVE vs Good Hands/Myres - Uncharacteristically flat start to the show. Impact is usually great at putting on an opening match banner to set the tone for the rest of the show. This wasn't it. I find Sami Callihan's entire act quite cringe. 

👎 Bailey/Gresham vs The Design - Again I find all of the Design bollocks really quite tiresome. Put Bailey and Gresham with any other pairing and they could have put on a good contest. Instead it was just totally flat. Also, Speedball's music is so slow and dull - not akin to his nickname at all. Change it. Change it at once!

👎 Taylor Wilde v Killer Kelly - Too long and too bland. Slamovich teaming up with Kelly is mildly interesting but this was another flat execution overall. 

• Paid Members

A photo from this weekend's tapings from Center Stage, Atlanta, which is becoming a good little touring stop for them.

I always find it bonkers that Impact, with a much smaller budget and footprint nowadays, is attracting paid crowds of roughly the same size as the free entry Impact Zone when it had some of wrestling's biggest stars of the day. 

Fzb5T_jWwAAPMGL.jpeg

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Glad to see Dango doing well there, a stupidly entertaining lad and him in Fashion Peaks is honestly one of my top things in modern wrestling.

Until a month ago I’d have disagreed wholeheartedly with that, but loving his new gimmick.

• Paid Members

Moose is great, the way he's presented, I'm glad he's sticking around because he's proved that he can be the face of the company when he was their world champion. The feud with Josh Alexander was great and helped put Josh on the map as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
  • Paid Members
17 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Some decent stuff on there but Shelley vs Aldis doesn't sound very appealing.

I clicked this out of curiosity being way behind what they're doing over there but regardless of how much Magnus has come on, if anyone could get a great match out of him, a wrestler as good as Shelley would be on my list.

Although it speaks volumes of Impact's reach today if a "good hand" type like Alex has the big belt.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Although it speaks volumes of Impact's reach today if a "good hand" type like Alex has the big belt.

I’d be shocked if its not a “thanks for your years of service” little transitional run, rather than strapping a rocket to his back tbh.

I tend to agree that Alex Shelley doesn't really scream ‘star power’ and a headliner for what’s become usually their best and  biggest show of the year.

17 hours ago, David said:

Quick question for anyone who can be arsed answering. Is the Emergence event usually worth watching? I'm thinking of going along next month.

Its a monthly special rather than PPV, so its a B rather than A level show. But the Rebel is a lovely looking venue and they’re usually fun enough to justify going.

I’d go to that rather than the following night’s TV tapings, given the choice.

Edited by garynysmon

On 6/26/2023 at 1:45 AM, garynysmon said:

A photo from this weekend's tapings from Center Stage, Atlanta, which is becoming a good little touring stop for them.

I always find it bonkers that Impact, with a much smaller budget and footprint nowadays, is attracting paid crowds of roughly the same size as the free entry Impact Zone when it had some of wrestling's biggest stars of the day. 

Fzb5T_jWwAAPMGL.jpeg

They're more of a top level indy now than a distant no2 mainstream promotion. I guess with ROH gone they attract some of the indy fans but overall it's just! a better more.investable product than its "hey day". That said if they ran tapings regularly in arenas like 2013 TNA I'm sure they would be back in trouble fast. They know their limits. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, simonworden said:

They're more of a top level indy now than a distant no2 mainstream promotion. 

Well I suppose what makes an ‘indy’ and what makes a proper ‘fed’ is up for debate.

But given it has domestic and international TV deals and contracted talent, I’d still class it as a distant US no.3 rather than a traditional indy which uses talent on a more ad-hoc basis.

Yes Impact uses a lot of free agents for a few taping blocks at a time, and outside talent from New Japan on the regular, but so does AEW so the lines are much more blurred than was once the case.

In fact, even WCW did a fair bit of that.

On 7/11/2023 at 5:20 PM, garynysmon said:

Well I suppose what makes an ‘indy’ and what makes a proper ‘fed’ is up for debate.

But given it has domestic and international TV deals and contracted talent, I’d still class it as a distant US no.3 rather than a traditional indy which uses talent on a more ad-hoc basis.

Yes Impact uses a lot of free agents for a few taping blocks at a time, and outside talent from New Japan on the regular, but so does AEW so the lines are much more blurred than was once the case.

In fact, even WCW did a fair bit of that.

I do agree actually. I was more talking about how I think many fans would  view them than anything related to business or deals.