• Paid Members

Punk posted an Instagram story with a shaved head. Rumours that the Chicago shows he’s returning on is being called, “The Second Coming.”

I hope this is all a sign that he’s coming back as a heel. Put him in a suit. Have him referring to himself as AEW’s saviour. The Billion Dollar Man. Do WWE own, “This Fire Burns,” by Killswitch Engage? Would be good heel banter if he started using that instead.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, Supremo said:

Punk posted an Instagram story with a shaved head. Rumours that the Chicago shows he’s returning on is being called, “The Second Coming.”

I hope this is all a sign that he’s coming back as a heel. Put him in a suit. Have him referring to himself as AEW’s saviour. The Billion Dollar Man. Do WWE own, “This Fire Burns,” by Killswitch Engage? Would be good heel banter if he started using that instead.

"The Second Coming" definitely seems to indicate he's coming back as a heel. I hope so. "Grateful to be here" Phil had run it's course a bit for me before he got injured/Brawl Out happened, and with all the extra curricular stuff it's easy to see how he might get a bit stale if he stays a babyface outside of that initial pop. Plus, heel CM Punk is always the best CM Punk, possibly because he's a more natural fit as a bad guy given his well-documented somewhat abrasive nature with other people at times.  

On 5/15/2023 at 6:46 PM, Supremo said:

Do WWE own, “This Fire Burns,” by Killswitch Engage? Would be good heel banter if he started using that instead.

I don’t think they do.

‘This Fire Burns’ wasn’t released on the original version of Killswitch Engage’s ‘As Daylight Dies’ album, but it did get released a year or so later on the Special Edition. Roadrunner Records put that album out, while the publishing was owned by a company called The All Blacks B.V. This was all before mergers and then Warner Music Group being sold into privatisation, then being made public again, which is a whole other story.

Short answer is that WWE back then were much more willing to license music than they are now, and if memory serves me right it was meant to be Randy Orton’s theme at some point.

I don’t know if it warrants its own thread at this stage but at the upfronts, AEW Collision has officially been announced for June 17th. 

And the logo is a definite Turner callback, shall we say

(I’m not able to post pictures right now)

Edited by uklaw

On 5/16/2023 at 5:03 PM, mim731 said:

"The Second Coming" definitely seems to indicate he's coming back as a heel. I hope so. "Grateful to be here" Phil had run it's course a bit for me before he got injured/Brawl Out happened, and with all the extra curricular stuff it's easy to see how he might get a bit stale if he stays a babyface outside of that initial pop. Plus, heel CM Punk is always the best CM Punk, possibly because he's a more natural fit as a bad guy given his well-documented somewhat abrasive nature with other people at times.  

Smarmy, shithead CM Punk Vs Eddie Kingston? I need that, we need that. Give me 6 months of that feud on Collision, and it's must watch TV.

• Paid Members

037FE2B9-1B1D-46D9-9BBF-AE6A18FA02AB.thumb.jpeg.f1c74a03b9fcb82e1afff70aa097d44b.jpeg

33F22492-D1CC-4CC1-A5FD-35626C8CDC95.thumb.webp.5fe2a1e127232dc9622eae74eb8bb3fb.webp

What are we even doing at this point. CM Punk’s seemingly pulling a power move to get his dog-faced mate a job, leaving them unable to even announce the location for Collision's debut. He’s spending all night on Instagram, bickering with journalists over stuff they wrote over a decade ago. All whilst The Elite are producing solid-gold, all-timer, top-tier TV. Whole segment was a massive, metaphorical Post-It note over CM Punk’s face. Cancel Punk’s plane ticket for June 17th. Bin the whole thing off. Just announce the Saturday show will be more of what these great, great men are currently delivering. CM Punk and Ace Steel died on the way back to their home planet.

Four years ago I barely knew who Hangman Page was. Now he’s one of my all time favourites. It can’t be overstated what a spectacular job all involved have done in creating such a superstar babyface. A multi-year saga that has built, teased and delivered over and over again. What a fucking moment this was. Chills I haven’t experienced since the portal scene in Endgame. Kenny handing him the mop! The eye patch! Hangman smiling ear to ear at the end! Let’s fucking go! Between this, his return in that ladder match and that time he was Stay Puft, we’re gonna have to start calling it the Hangman Page Pop. Glorious stuff.

As brilliant as pro-wrestling has become in the last few years, my most favourite thing of all might be how Kenny Omega finally delivered where none of those other, "Good in Japan," guys did. Supposedly the best guy ever, comes to America...and actually nails it. He's done American, TV-style pro-wrestling arguably better than anyone in decades. Motherfucker somehow manages to take something as basic as a trash can lid and make it look cool, invent new, fun spots, and still add a spectacular level of athleticism to it. The way he smashed Yuta like Captain America with his shield was amazing. He's the greatest.

Boner killer time, though. Someone’s got to say it. Something is up with Bryan Danielson. Probably another concussion. He got away with it for a while without it being too obvious, but it was undeniable on this show. He’s either not able or not allowed to do anything physical. It was impossible to not notice here, as he scurried and hid out of view of the camera. I assume they can just replace him with Takeshita if he can’t get cleared in time for the pay per view, and it’ll still be a match of the year contender, but man. Hard to truly enjoy a moment like that when you’re left wondering if your favourite wrestler ever has scrambled eggs for brains again.

In more positive news, the hilarity of Satnam Singh being pushed off the stage (one of the funniest things in company history) was only matched by Double J getting his wife a job. Greatest carny in the history of the business. He’s going to end up World Champion.

I might go into more detail later, but the only other major thing worth mentioning on this show is how - against all logic and sense - the Variance of Jericho is seemingly widening. He's never just OK. He’s either absolutely intolerable or a complete fucking genius. This was him at his best. That Falls Count Anywhere match was an absolute blast. Such brilliant fun. Selling plastic forks and ice cream to the face! Roderick Strong seemingly on Fast-Forward the whole match! The most obvious, yet perfect finish. Fantastic. Enjoy Jericho now because the better this gets in the Spring, the worse the Summer or Autumn will likely be. It’s also not up for debate anymore. This feud is the best thing Adam Cole has ever done. I can’t wait for their match at the pay per view! Something I never thought I’d say!

But yeah. Seriously. These Elite guys are on another level to absolutely everyone. Bloodline in the mud. No wonder Punk’s already self-sabotaging! The war’s over before it’s even begun!

5570DF09-7ABD-4E17-ADE6-AC9AEE8C1B64.thumb.jpeg.62bbbd0c7c5832dedf185ba16e69d37f.jpeg

Art.

Edited by Supremo

For me, the last two shows are a perfect example of why AEW probably should introduce a bland split when Collision debuts. Imagine last week's Dynamite being followed by a Collision which did either did not address the Don Callis situation, or hyped that it would be addressed on Dynamite? Or this week's show, with the Elite reuniting, being followed by a Collision which did not include the Elite in any way, or including a pre-recorded angle which actually cools down the feud and waters down the big thing planned for Dynamite?

This could define Collision down, and not do justice to hot storylines. Brand splits may not be popular with everyone, but creating a legitimate reason for storylines to only exist on one show seems like a positive to me. 

This was a fun show, but I feel wary that the new show will have a negative impact on the quality of AEW television. 

As much as I adore Hangman and his babyface purity, I can’t stop staring at that Dastardly Double J and wanna be in his gang of misfits. He better win every comeback of the year award going and should be in everyone’s top 5 wrestlers of 2023 as there’s few on planet Jarrett as entertaining as Jeff