• Paid Members

Not really Dynamite related but I just remembered in the YouTube Road To... video posted before the show Daddy Magic cut an epic promo where he called The Acclaimed "hip hop perverts". I love Daddy Magic so much and he should have 1-5 minutes of TV time per week be wonderfully weird and over the top.

• Paid Members

👎 Opening promo - It probably makes sense to talk about this first and to keep things in linear order - this was absolutely terrible. Darby Allin came off badly here, both in terms of his own verbiage and how Jungle Boy essentially made him out to be a total penis - true or not, it doesn't exactly make you want to see Darby prosper. Then, when MJF reveals the bye, Darby does an odd celebration, which immediately makes him look like a schmuck who is getting an easier ride to the title. Again, why would you back him? The whole thing ran for far too long and none of the three challengers really came out of it well. 

👍 Britt/Hayter vs Outcasts - Fine and dandy as an opener. At the risk of constantly repeating myself when I do these little reviews, tags are great openers as they're like a cheat code to get the live audience and viewers pumped up and you can ride that energy all evening. This was actually the perfect spot to put them in - any later in the show and they might have struggled to maintain interest, even with the hometown hero in tow. Nothing wrong with any of the execution from any of the lasses involved here. 

👍 Elite/BCC business - A fun brawl to add intrigue to this ongoing saga. Good to see Takeshita inserted into the mix - anything that gives him a big company spotlight is fine with me. I'm on board for the eventual clash. 

👍 TNT title - A smashing battle of the big men, this. It was great to see the link up between Wardlow and Arn Anderson as well. A much needed boost for Wardlow’s aura and hopefully the start of some better spotlight for the TNT title too - I know some people will be thinking 'Christ, they've changed the title again?!' but in this case I think it was absolutely the right call to make.  

👍 Jay White/Komander - A good display from both and I enjoyed the shenanigans with Shawn Spears at ringside as well with his scorecards. Komander gets some stick but I find his offence so unique and his balance is absolutely crazy. It still seems odd to me that White has essentially been brought in as a midcard act for now considering his reputation, but there was nothing wrong with this match in isolation. 

👍 Jericho/Cole business - I'm bang on board for this. I enjoyed the exchange before the big brawl, then the shenanigans with Britt and the Outcasts afterwards was a great bit of business. It helps not only make the rivalry between Jericho and Cole more personal, but also the Outcasts and Britt too. By incorporating multiple characters like this, you're elevating more than just two people, and that to me made this a rousing success. 

👍 Acclaimed/JAS - Daft, silly fun. 

👍 Jungle Boy/Sammy G - Fair play, they left it all out there and worked their bollocks off for our entertainment. A great showcase for both. The finish was perhaps quite anti-climatic, but obviously there will be more to come from this angle. Sammy/Max rolling around the ring together in an embrace was funny. After my gripes with the opening promo, this was a great way to reinforce the point that actually there's still some mileage in this pillars angle after all. 

Overall - Smashing Dynamite this week with plenty of interesting angle advancement, a great crowd, a title change and plenty of talking points to sink our teeth into. I had low expectations after the opening promo exchange, but everything else after that was worth watching. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

12 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Can't someone just rip the piss out of everything? He doesn't have to have any agenda behind it bar everyone is up for being taken the piss out of, especially multi national companies and politicians

Problem with the loudest noise makers on the left and right is how equally thin skinned both are. 

18 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Can't someone just rip the piss out of everything? He doesn't have to have any agenda behind it bar everyone is up for being taken the piss out of, especially multi national companies and politicians

Of course. My point is that he doesn’t seem to do that. I may be misremembering, I’m more than happy to admit that!

9 minutes ago, Louch said:

Problem with the loudest noise makers on the left and right is how equally thin skinned bot

I really should ignore this, but you do realise you’re saying this as someone who has a near-aneurism any time someone says something even slightly negative about AEW or Tony Khan? 

• Paid Members

Whilst I accept I am probably in the minority based on the comments in here, but the 'Four Pillars' thing for me, feels like it should be for the TNT title, not the big one. I don't think Darby, Perry and certainly not Sammy are ready for the big one, or believable enough. Get Kenny back in there pronto! 

13 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I really should ignore this, but you do realise you’re saying this as someone who has a near-aneurism any time someone says something even slightly negative about AEW or Tony Khan? 

Wasn’t even aimed at you, was a general comment. I’m just gonna mute you as it’s better for us both 👍🏻

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I don't think Darby, Perry and certainly not Sammy are ready for the big one, or believable enough. Get Kenny back in there pronto! 

I think this is the issue I have with this story - I know they want to elevate the "Pillars", but I don't think MJF is the champion to do it with. Sammy, Darby and JB have all been booked consistently as promising midcarders, but MJF has been booked as a privileged, spoiled and undeserving champion. He needs more serious wins under his belt before he can be used to uplift other wrestlers, because at the moment it's just dragging the champion and the title down into petty midcard squabbling, rather than elevating the midcard up towards the World Title.

2 hours ago, Loki said:

Where was Hayter for the save though?  Catering?

Since the later segment was obviously planned, you'd like to think this went to script.

Hayter's involvement in the match ends with the attack on the outside. Where she's thrown into the steel steps and Storm kicked the arm when it was placed against the steps. Hayter would be helped to the back by Doc Samson with Britt rushing after them post-match rather than celebrating in front of her home town crowd.

One of AEW's production flaws is always rushing onto the next thing without letting moments breathe. Real or kayfabed the obvious concern is that there's an injury.

Definitely not catering.

3 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

One of AEW's production flaws is always rushing onto the next thing without letting moments breathe. Real or kayfabed the obvious concern is that there's an injury.

You’re right here.  I spotted Hayter leaving separately but an hour and a half later there was long forgotten.  They completely flubbed it as an injury angle - they could have showed her in the trainer’s room with Jay later on getting seen to.  

Her shoulder, getting her shoulder seen to by a trainer. 

41 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

he's another guy who just throws out Hayabusa's moves like they're whatever. Not a fan.

That never occurred to me, but you're dead right. No sense of "fxxx this - I'm going to murder you with my body using a move I learned off an alien bird God", just "hey, look at this cool thing I can do. Mum. Mum! Mum, look!..." 

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

That never occurred to me, but you're dead right. No sense of "fxxx this - I'm going to murder you with my body using a move I learned off an alien bird God", just "hey, look at this cool thing I can do. Mum. Mum! Mum, look!..." 

That's the problem with these guys like Komander, they do some amazing shit and everyone thinks they're great....then within a month you realise that "amazing shit" is all they can do and you don't care anymore.