Regal leaves AEW

Chris B

• Paid Members

That’s a point. I hadn’t considered it before, but if Regal’s departure in any way speeds up the end of the Blackpool Combat Club vs. Jericho Appreciation Society feud then it’s the best thing that’s ever happened in the history of the business.

• Paid Members

I am gutted to see him go if so, but who can blame him. WWE saved his life, as did HHH. His son is there, less travelling. Good for him. As for his alleged reason for leaving, maybe the guys in their 20's don't look up to people in their almost 60's for wrestling advice. When Regal was teaching Danielson and Claudio, he was their elder. For people like Sammy, Wheeler, Jungle Boy, their peers are going to be the Danielsons and Claudios because that is who they grew up watching in the same way they would have grown up watching Regal and Dusty. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

They had such a good out two weeks ago too. Mox telling Regal to run and Regal never showing up again would've been absolutely perfect.

Why the fuck did they muddy it all with that daft MJF double-turn shit?

I have a more charitable interpretation of the MJF/Regal angle - before the PPV, Regal openly invited MJF to hit him to prove that he was a "true villain", and he seemingly couldn't bring himself to do it, but this time he was able to even after Regal helped him win. It's about MJF being elevated as a villain, more than another turn for Regal. You can even add in that Moxley, who would have been fully justified in attacking Regal after what he did, still had enough compassion left to leave it, while MJF was happy to hurt him for the sake of hurting him

• Paid Members

Regal is the last person I would expect to be precious about the whole 'listen to my advice' bollocks. Feels like EC3 wanted to get people talking about himself and people have run with it. Seems to me that people quickly throw that line out there about the AEW locker room not wanting to listen to advice just to try and paint a bit of an image of ungrateful ego's. I highly doubt they are all sat there going 'yeah, whatever Grandad' in a Kevin and Perry-esque way while not looking up from their PS5's. 

1 hour ago, Nick James said:

Regal is the last person I would expect to be precious about the whole 'listen to my advice' bollocks. Feels like EC3 wanted to get people talking about himself and people have run with it. Seems to me that people quickly throw that line out there about the AEW locker room not wanting to listen to advice just to try and paint a bit of an image of ungrateful ego's. I highly doubt they are all sat there going 'yeah, whatever Grandad' in a Kevin and Perry-esque way while not looking up from their PS5's. 

He's someone that usually talks about his appreciation of diversity in the different styles of wrestling. After all it's how he made his career out of it by being different to the Americans and Japanese. He was praising Orange Cassidy on his last podcast.

Like everyone though, I'm sure he has his pet quibbles that grate at him and wishes he could remove.

I hate this “don’t Listen to veterans” shit that gets lauded against the aew roster. What it really means is they don’t listen to ex wwe guys who think that’s the only way to do things. Most of the midcard/ Top guys in aew have been wrestling for 7+ years, and came up on the indies where I’ve only seen good things said about them. Austin was 7 years in when he started headlining wwf shows, was he meant to start his show day in the ring doing footwork? 

also let’s be honest, Regal was never someone you got excited to see wrestle, and he wasn’t a coach in nxt despite how long they had the option to put him there he was a travelling talent scout. If he had that much to teach, why didn’t wwe have him full time doing it? 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Louch said:

I hate this “don’t Listen to veterans” shit that gets lauded against the aew roster.

Feels like a lazy way to cause drama where there might not actually be any, almost like someone can't just leave a job without there being a forced reason. Most reports seem to suggest an amicable departure between Regal and AEW, other than the Control Your Narrative prat saying that's not the case. 

Anyways, the biggest shame in Regal leaving, is we aren't going to get a Coronation Street follow up with RJ City.

20 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Feels like a lazy way to cause drama where there might not actually be any, almost like someone can't just leave a job without there being a forced reason. Most reports seem to suggest an amicable departure between Regal and AEW, other than the Control Your Narrative prat saying that's not the case.

Going into Dynamite several of the people that should be ITK were playing out the Regal/MJF/BCC storyline. Then the show happens and everyone's pivoting "guess the rumours are true that he's going/going/gone."

Everyone's scrambling to figure out what's happening. While those involved looked to have played out the storyline they had to give MJF some rub on the way out. Regal enjoy's his holidays and gets back to work in the new year. I'll be curious to hear how far out it was known he was leaving.

• Paid Members

On its own you can't read too much into Regal going back to WWE, mainy due to the reasons already highlighted.

But part of a growing pattern, you can't really ignore how quickly AEW lost its status as the place everyone wanted to work.

There are many examples of AEW having been the more appealing option even if WWE were generally paying more, but what with the Punk debacle and growing backstage grumbling, maybe its always been a little too lax?

23 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

But part of a growing pattern, you can't really ignore how quickly AEW lost its status as the place everyone wanted to work.

You have to say it’s looking more like the place everyone wanted to work to try and have a go at Vince rather than because they loved it. Now Trips is running the show plenty want to go back to the big show.

I'm maybe confusing the timeline on things a little. Slight comparison to TNA. Christian chose TNA (pre-COVID WWE signings like Brodie & FTR), A legit A-lister in Kurt Angle turns up, albeit with some baggage (Punk-attitude & Danielson-injury history). Move to 2hrs (addition of Rampage).

Going to kick on and solve some of their problems. Then it was just more of the same ratings wise and overall business performance.

I consider the HHH return to WWE a good thing for AEW long term. It's going to help them with the roster bloat as HHH likes similar indy wrestlers. AEW can try and focus once again on those that want to be there and aren't just there because there wasn't an alternative. Big thing on their to do list for 2023 is sort out ROH. It's a self-inflicted wound like the Alliance.

Some wrestlers will feel aew is better, one will prefer wwe. Same way in the real world we don’t all work for one company as everywhere has its pros and cons.

Regal went to aew as he was out of work and in amongst his 3hr rambles on his pod he’s not shy in saying how much health insurance costs him. If he’s went to Tony and said I will be an employee there and not on screen can I go, it’s best for everyone he goes as he was a guest commentator every second week and did any of his stable really benefit from him or it? I can’t say they have