Wrestling Awards 2022 - Nominations

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator

That time of year again. Give us your picks for the following (you can have up to 5 noms per award):

THE GOOD
Best Women's Wrestler

Best Men's Wrestler

Best Tag Team

Best British Wrestler - British Wrestler in any promotion, not just UK-based

Best Non-wrestler

Best Event

Best Wrestling Show

Best Feud or Angle

Funniest Moment

Best Heel

Best Babyface

Best Podcast

Moment of the Year

Match of the Year

Promo of the Year – can be an individual promo or a two-person back and forth but please be specific i.e. show and date 

THE BAD
Biggest Letdown

Worst Wrestler

Worst Match

Worst Event

Worst TV Show

Please note – most nominations tend to land before the calendar year is up, so if you edit your post for whatever reason, please @ me and flag the changes so I can update things at my end.

Nominations to be locked on 4th January

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator

THE GOOD

Best Women's Wrestler

Jade Cargill - leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else in AEW for star power.

Bianca Belair - the only full WWE show I’ve seen this year was the Royal Rumble. But I’ve kept up on things through here and it seems like Bianca’s finally at the top tier. Belair vs Cargill please.

Best Men's Wrestler

Sting - delivers every single time. It’s his best run for decades.

Jon Moxley - not a favourite of mine but Mr Reliable for AEW. He’s carried them this year.

Sami Zayn - what a year he’s had.

Best Tag Team

The Acclaimed - they’ve had a fantastic year.

FTR - consistently great or better.

The Usos - I’ve been keeping up with happenings and it seems like it’s been an Ucey year.

Best British Wrestler 

PAC - as above.

Jamie Hayter - turned a lackey role into championship material.

Butch - he got saddled with a silly name and gimmick but seems like he’s run with it and elevated it in the process.

Best Non-wrestler

Johnny Knoxville - does this count? I know he had two matches, but…

William Regal - super cut of his flirting with Excalibur please.

Best Event

WWE Clash at the Castle - never saw it myself but it sounded like everybody had a lovely time.

AEW Revolution - all their PPVs were decent this year but I think this was the decent-est?

Best Feud or Angle

Hookhausen - it went nowhere (see Letdown) but the buildup was great.

The Bloodline - just for how excited people posting on here have been about it all. Sami for champ!

MJF vs CM Punk - it’s been soured a bit now but this was red hot in the spring.

Funniest Moment

“Scissor me, Daddy Ass” - so, so stupid but damn did it get over.

Danhausen offers Hook some crisps - silly. Funny.

Danhausen curses William Regal - “you swine!”

Best Heel

MJF - he’s struggling to keep people off his side right now (unless the cheers have been intentional?) and he’s had wobbly ‘I’m SHOOTING now’ periods but he’s still super booable.

Swerve Strickland - acts like a right dickhead and seems to know and love it.

Best Babyface

Sami Zayn - again, mainly from reading here. Sami for champ!

Hangman Page - first half of the year was hard going but he’s brought back some of that love we all had for him in the latter half.

Best Podcast

Wrestle Me - still the only wrestling one I listen to (okay there’s SCG but I think they only did two or three episodes this year)

Moment of the Year

Eddie Kingston walks down the ramp with the petrol can, Double Or Nothing - ridiculous levels of intensity from Eddie.

Stone Cold returns - I was never a fan but that went about as well as it could have possibly gone.

Luigi Primo’s two second AEW debut would have absolutely been here if he hadn’t ruined it with his antivaxxing.

Match of the Year

Sheamus vs Gunther, Clash at the Castle - only seen highlights but it looked like a good’un.

The Acclaimed vs Swerve In Our Glory, All Out - for my low expectations being exceeded so massively.

Jon Moxley vs Wheeler Yuta, Rampage - the peak of the whole BCC thing.

Promo of the Year

MJF’s promo about being bullied, February 23 Dynamite - it’s got its critics but it was so compelling at the time and it’s stuck in the mind until now. 

Dax Harwood, ‘fight like an 8 year old girl’, July 20 Dynamite - all the emotions in this one.

THE BAD

Biggest Letdown

Hookhausen - why just one match? This should have led to a tag title run.

CM Punk - kind of self-explanatory. He fucked it.

ROH bought by Tony Khan - the pushing of ROH throughout the second half of the year particularly (and that after several months of pushing NJPW) has meant AEW often feels like second fiddle on its own programming.

Worst Wrestler

Cody Rhodes - this is solely for the sheer stupidity of wrestling a Hell In A Cell match looking like his chest was about to burst.

Ric Flair - if we go by the matches he has this year… 

Tony Nese - so many wrestlers, so little TV time, so much of that given to Tony Nese.

Worst Match

The Hardys vs Young Bucks, Double or Nothing - I think. Where Jeff was out of it.

Cody Rhodes vs Seth Rollins, Hell in a Cell - see above. The pec thing.

Ric Flair’s Last Match - should never have happened

Worst Event

Royal Rumble - I can barely remember any of it so this may not be fair, but it was a crap Rumble wasn’t it?

Worst TV Show

AEW Rampage - what used to be a fun hour on a Saturday morning has felt less and less consequential. Especially when it becomes ROHmpage. 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

10 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Best Men's Wrestler

Danny Boy Johnson

Best Tag Team

Awooga Luke

Danny Boy Johnson

Best Moment. DBJ winning the Supplementary title in a Royal Rumble without eliminating anyone. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

THE GOOD
Best Women's Wrestler - Jamie Hayter & Dakota Kai

Best Men's Wrestler - Sheamus & Eddie Kingston

Best Tag Team - The Usos & FTR

Best British Wrestler - British Wrestler in any promotion, not just UK-based - Jamie Hayter

Best Non-wrestler - Pat McAfee

Best Event - I’m not good with remembering specific events to be honest

Best Wrestling Show - SmackDown

Best Feud or Angle - Sami Zayn/The Bloodline, Punk/MJF

Funniest Moment - Sami Zayn cracking up Roman and Jey Uso with “Ucey”, Tyson Fury knocking out Austin Theory when he tried to cash in & Vince McMahon showing up twice in a week after his allegations hit to stand tall only to have to eventually retire

Best Heel - Roman Reigns & MJF

Best Babyface - Sami Zayn

Best Podcast - don’t listen to any but want to get into some so looking forward to seeing others responses

Moment of the Year - Jey Uso hugs Sami Zayn after WarGames, Pat McAfees WrestleMania entrance, CM Punk losing it in the presser & the announcement of Vince McMahons retirement

Match of the Year - Anarchy in the Arena

Promo of the Year – The first CM Punk/MJF confrontation, will edit post later with date and show

THE BAD
Biggest Letdown - CM Punk as the top guy in AEW, Bayley disappointing since her return & Hangman Page as Champion

Worst Wrestler - Dolph Ziggler

Worst Match - Will edit after some thought

Worst Event - See best event

Worst TV Show - Rampage & NXT

THE GOOD

Best Women's Wrestler

Bianca Belair - I've enjoyed pretty much every match I've seen her in this year, she's really bloody good. 

Jade Cargill - Sadly, she might be the only female AEW wrestler I've found consistently entertaining this year. 

Rhea Ripley - Judgment Day was a shit stable. Then Rhea and Dominic Mysterio happened. They're an absolute blast together, and I really hope we get Bianca vs. Rhea at 'Mania. 

Best Men's Wrestler

Roman Reigns - He's a level above everyone else in the industry right now. He's carried WWE, and is an absolute joy to watch. 

Sami Zayn - Easily the best character in wrestling today. It's been a while since I've felt as emotionally invested in a character. 

Jon Moxley - He basically carried AEW this year, during some of its darker months. His feud with MJF was disappointing, but he still deserves to be nominated for this. 

Kevin Owens - He's quietly had a brilliant year; everything from the Stone Cold match, to his feud with Eziekiel - he's knocked it out of the park each time. 

MJF - AEW is better when he's there. He may have been absent for an extended period of time, but if anything, he's proven his own value. 

Best Tag Team

The Acclaimed - They're consistently the most entertaining thing on Dynamite. 

The Usos - A pivotal part of The Bloodline, and the anchors of WWE's tag division. The whole Sami Zayn storyline wouldn't be the same without them. 

FTR - Stupidly underutilised by AEW. In spite of this, they've still been involved in some of the best matches of 2022. 

Swerve in their Glory - Unexpectly brilliant. I wasn't at all in favour of them winning the belts, but I'm happy to have been proven wrong. 

Drew McIntyre

Butch

PAC

Jamie Hayter

Best Non-wrestler

Taz - His addition to the AEW commentary team was long overdue. He's brilliant at his job. 

RJ City - Is he eligible for this? Hey Ew has been consistently the most watchable AEW content this year, and he's an absolute joy. 

Renee Paquette - I've always been a fan of hers, she's by far the best interviewer in wrestling. She's been one of AEW's more underrated signings this year. 

William Regal - The BCC may have been disappointing, but he's been a lot of fun. 

Paul Heyman - A very underrated part of The Bloodline. He doesn't need to say much, but his facial expressions are tremendous. 

Best Event

AEW Revolution - It makes me a little bit sad to think back to this event, AEW was so good back then. This was easily their best PPV of the year, that perfect combination of great matches, and great storylines. 

Wrestlemania night 1 - This was an absolute blast to watch from start to finish for me. My low expectations probably helped, but I thought it was really entertaining. 

WWE Clash at the Castle - This felt as big as Wrestlemania did to me. The atmosphere was electric, and I enjoyed almost every match. 

Best Wrestling Show

WWE Smackdown - Thanks largely to the phenomenal Bloodline storyline; but sometimes one gripping storyline is all you need. 

Best Feud or Angle

The Bloodline - This has been the most compelling wrestling storyline for me for quite some time. I love it. 

MJF vs. CM Punk - I'm actually quite sad that we may never know what the final chapter in this one would have been. 

The Acclaimed 'National Scissoring Day' - So much fun, from start to finish. 

Swerve in their Glory - From start to finish, Keith Lee and Swerve Strickland have been brilliant

Funniest Moment

"Scissor me, Daddy ass" 

Sami Zayn tells Roman Reigns that Jey Uso "hasn't been feeling very ucey lately" (28/10 Smackdown)

William Regal and RJ City re-enact Coronation Street on Hey EW

William Regal flirts with Excalibur on commentary

Danhausen curses William Regal

Best Heel

Roman Reigns

MJF

Jade Cargill

Swerve Strickland

Best Babyface

Sami Zayn

The Acclaimed - Do tag teams count for this? It's hard to separate the two, but I don't think there's much doubt that they're among the most effective babyfaces in wrestling. 

FTR - As above

Jon Moxley

Ricky Starks

Best Podcast

Wrestle Me! 

Moment of the Year

Stone Cold returns - I didn't expect it, but I bloody loved it. 

Cody Rhodes returns to WWE at Wrestlemania - It was absolutely surreal to see, and I still can't quite believe he's there. 

Eddie Kingston defeats Chris Jericho at Revolution - The storyline derailed a little after that, but I really enjoyed this aspect of it. 

The crowd make The Acclaimed megastars (All Out 2022) - The atmosphere in this match is absolutely what led to The Acclaimed becoming what they are today. I still get goosebumps, watching this one. 

Kenny Omega's return - Kenny coming out to partner The Bucks in the trios tournament still gives me goosebumps, it felt so good to see him back. It's such a shame that it concluded in the way that it did. 

Match of the Year

Swerve in their Glory vs. The Acclaimed (All Out 2022)

FTR vs. The Briscoes (Supercard of Honor) 

Jon Moxley vs. Wheeler Yuta (AEW Rampage)

Kevin Owens vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin - Was it the best match of the year from an in ring perspective? Absolutely not. Did I love every frigging second of it? You bet. 

Gunther vs. Sheamus (WWE Clash at the Castle)

Promo of the Year 

MJF's promo about being bullied

MJF's promo about being rejected by William Regal

Eddie Kingston/Chris Jericho promo battle pre-Revolution

Dax Harwood - 'Fight like an 8-year-old-girl' - July 20 Dynamite

Ricky Starks' star-making promo on MJF (7/12 Dynamite)

THE BAD

Biggest Letdown

Tony Khan buys ROH - ROH has dragged AEW down. I hope it goes away quickly in 2023. 

AEW post Double or Nothing - Forbidden Door, and the ROH purchase really spoiled what had been a consistently enjoyable wrestling show. 

AEW introduces more and more titles

Bryan Danielson in AEW

AEW's continued use of Jay Lethal

Worst Wrestler

Baron Corbin

Saraya

Britt Baker

Marina Shafir

Jay Lethal

Worst Match

The Hardys vs The Bucks, Double or Nothing

Ric Flair's last match

CM Punk vs. Jon Moxley (AEW Dynamite) 

Jade Cargill vs. Marina Shafir (AEW Dynamite)

Saraya vs. Britt Baker

Worst TV Show

AEW Rampage

AEW Dynamite (post DON)

WWE Raw (pre-HHH era)

Edited by RedRooster
Adding more nominations

30 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

@Frankie Crisp - @RedRoosternominating FTR as best babyface reminded me of Dax’s promo about his daughter in the summer. I’ve added that to my Best Promo noms.

Excellent shout, I can't believe I forgot that. @Frankie Crisp, I've made the same edit. It's rare that a promo leaves you welling up with emotions, this did that for me. Brilliant, brilliant stuff. 

THE GOOD
Best Women's Wrestler: Bianca Belair, Guilia, Syuri

Best Men's Wrestler: Jon Moxley, Will Ospreay, Zack Sabre Jr

Best Tag Team: FTR, The Usos, The Acclaimed 

Best British Wrestler - Will Ospreay, Zack Sabre Jr

Best Non-wrestler: Kevin Kelly, Tony Schiavone

Best Event: NJPW Stardom Cross Over, Forbidden Door

Best Wrestling Show: AEW Dynamite

Best Feud or Angle: The Bloodline and Sami Zayn’s run

Funniest Moment: Danhausens obsession with Hook

Best Heel: MJF, Roman Reigns, Chris Jericho

Best Babyface: Adam Page, Jon Moxley

Best Podcast: OSW Review

Moment of the Year: Stone Cold Returns for match at Mania, Logan Paul’s Eddie tribute at Mania

Match of the Year: Kazuchika Okada Vs Will Ospreay Wrestle Kingdom 

Promo of the Year – back and forth between Punk/Kingston(was that this year?) MJF and Regals back and forth 

THE BAD
Biggest Letdown AEW’s use of Miro

Worst Wrestler: Marina Shafir, Britt Baker, Shotzi 

Worst Match: Hardys Vs The Bucks Double Or Nothing

Worst Event:

Worst TV Show: WWE Raw

is it ok if I add when more memories come to me? 

@Frankie Crisp I think that’ll do me 👍

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

THE GOOD
Best Women's Wrestler

Bianca Belair

Willow Nightingale

Best Men's Wrestler

Danny Boy Johnson

CM Punk

Best Tag Team

FTR

Danny Boy Johnson

Best Non-wrestler

William Regal

Best Event

All Out

Best Wrestling Show

Dynamite

Best Feud or Angle

CM Punk vs MJF

Funniest Moment

Regal wanting to suck off Excalibur and that. 

Best Heel

MJF

Best Babyface

Sting

Best Podcast

WrestleMe

Moment of the Year

-

Match of the Year

FTR vs Aussie Open (NJPW Royal Quest 2)

Sheamus vs Guntur (Clash at the Castle)

Promo of the Year – can be an individual promo or a two-person back and forth but please be specific i.e. show and date 

-

THE BAD
Biggest Letdown

Saraya

Stokely Hathaway

Worst Wrestler

Chuck Taylor

Worst Match

Ric Flair and Andrade vs Jeff Jarrett and Jay Lethal (Ric Flair's Last Match)

Worst Event

-

Worst TV Show

-

THE GOOD
Best Women's Wrestler - Bianca Belair, Jamie Hayter

Best Men's Wrestler - Sami ‘Uso’ Zayn, Jon Moxley

Best Tag Team - The Acclaimed, The Usos 

Best British Wrestler - British Wrestler in any promotion, not just UK-based - Drew McIntyre, Butch, Jamie Hayter, PAC 

Best Non-wrestler - Pat McAfee

Best Event - Clash At The Castle, Crown Jewel, Forbidden Door

Best Wrestling Show - Smackdown

Best Feud or Angle - Sami gets accepted as honorary Uce

Funniest Moment - two words, feeling Ucey 

Best Heel - MJF

Best Babyface - Cody Rhodes pre injury, Jungle Boy

Best Podcast - can’t vote as I don’t listen to any

Moment of the Year - Austin wrestling at Mania, the Vince scandal leading to his retirement, Punk goes nuts after All Out

Match of the Year - Cody v Seth at Mania, Gunther v Sheamus, Mox v Tanahashi

Promo of the Year – can be an individual promo or a two-person back and forth but please be specific i.e. show and date - MJF ‘shoots’ on TK

THE BAD
Biggest Letdown - Punk burning his bridge with AEW

Worst Wrestler - as always Baron ‘Happy’ Corbin, Anna Jay comes close

Worst Match - Vince v Pat McAfee right after the latter’s decent scrap with Theory, summed up by him taking a worse Stunner than Linda because he could barely function

Worst Event - Royal Rumble 

Worst TV Show - Rampage

• Paid Members

THE GOOD
Best Women's Wrestler

Bianca Belair, Toni Storm, Jamie Hayter

Best Men's Wrestler

Jon Moxley, Sami Zayn, MJF, Chris Jericho

Best Tag Team

The Acclaimed, Sting and Darby Allin, FTR, Hookhausen

PAC, Jamie Hayter, Drew

Best Non-wrestler

William Regal, Taz, Tony Schiavone

Best Event

Forbidden Door, Wrestlemania Night 1, AEW Revolution

Best Wrestling Show

AEW Dynamite

Best Feud or Angle

MJF vs. CM Punk, MJF vs. Wardlow, Sami Zayn vs. Johnny Knoxville, Sami Zayn - Honorary Uso

Funniest Moment

William Regal flirts with Excalibur, Sami Zayn makes everyone break character, Danhausen stamps on Hook’s crisps

Best Heel

MJF, Roman Reigns, Swerve Strickland

Best Babyface

Jon Moxley, Eddie Kingston, Ricky Starks, Sami Zayn, Hangman Adam Page

Moment of the Year

Stone Cold returns at Wrestlemania, Eddie Kingston with the gas canister, Sami Zayn gets his own T-shirt, Moxley wrecks Punk in minutes.

Match of the Year

Anarchy in the Arena, Sami Zayn vs. Johnny Knoxville - Wrestlemania, CM Punk vs. MJF - Dynamite 2nd Feb, Trios Tournament Final - All Out 

MJF history lesson with CM Punk

MJF history lesson with William Regal

Ricky Starks between losing his FTW title to Hook and then losing his head to Will Hobbs.

THE BAD
Biggest Letdown

Punk loses his mind, puts an end to the best run of his career.

Wardlow fizzles out.

William Regal fucks off.

BCC vs. JAS never ever ending.

Worst Wrestler

Jeff Hardy, Ronda Rousey, Bray Wyatt, Karrion Kross, Top Dolla

Worst Match

Royal Rumble, Pat McAfee vs. Vince McMahon 

Worst Event

Royal Rumble

Worst TV Show

Raw, NXT 2.0

@Frankie Crisp - added Top Dolla to my worst wrestlers list because he’s a fucking embarrassment.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

THE GOOD
Best Women's Wrestler - Jamie Hayter

Best Men's Wrestler - Darby Allin

Best Tag Team - The Acclaimed

Best British Wrestler - British Wrestler in any promotion, not just UK-based - Pac

Best Non-wrestler - Taz

Best Event - AEW Revolution

Best Wrestling Show - AEW Dynamite, AEW Rampage

Best Feud or Angle - CM Punk vs MJF

Best Heel - MJF

Best Babyface - Sting

Moment of the Year

Match of the Year - Hangman Page vs Bryan Danielson, Anarchy In the Arena, Sami Zayn vs Johnny Knoxville

Promo of the Year – Jon Moxley on CM Punk "weak heart, weak mind, fragile body, fragile ego" 

THE BAD
Biggest Letdown - CM Punk gripebomb - what a twat

Worst Wrestler - Adam Cole

• Paid Members

THE GOOD
Best Women's Wrestler 

Jade Cargill has had a fantastic year. As has Jamie Hayter albeit that has been more of a slow burn

Best Men's Wrestler -

Moxley has become an MVP for AEW when it needed a leader. Sami Zayn has taken the ball this year and run with it. Matt Cardona has really excelled himself in being the biggest indy star in the world pretty much. Also Logan Paul needs highlighting. Better then almost anyone in NXT and yet only had 3 matches. Incredible stuff.

Best Tag Team -

FTR should walk this, but The Acclaimed and Swerve in Our Glory also should be recognized.

Pac has had another great year. And while he is a prize idiot, Will Ospreay has had a strong year. I'll show some love to Gene Muny and Cara Noir as well.

Best Non-wrestler -

William Regal. 

Best Event -

AEW Double or Nothing

Best Wrestling Show

AEW Dynamite

Best Feud or Angle - MJF vs Punk was art.

Funniest Moment

William Regal's love affair with the Man in the Mask. Feeling Ucey. Anytime Sami breaks one of the Bloodline.

Best Heel -

Roman Reigns

Best Babyface

Logan Paul, Hangman Adam Page, Eddie Kingston

Best Podcast

Wrestle Me

Moment of the Year

Eddie Kingston's return to the ring during Anarchy in the Arena, Jake Hager gets over for the first time in his career by wearing a purple hat. 

Match of the Year

Will Ospreay vs Orange Cassidy, Logan Paul vs Roman Reigns, Mox vs Yuta, The Acclaimed vs SIOG, FTR vs Briscoes (#1).

MJF and William Regal 18/10/22 AEW Dynamite

THE BAD
Biggest Letdown

CM Punk's PressBomb, Bray Wyatt's return (so far). Fun hype but the issues from before still linger on.

Worst Wrestler

Rhonda Roussey has had a stinker of a year

Worst Match

Woman's Wargames Match at Survivor Series

Worst Event

Survivor Series 2022

Worst TV Show

Raw for still being unwatchable live in a 3 hour format. Still find Impact unwatchable even though I know the content is good, it looks so cheaply made.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch