Survivor Series 2022

Supremo

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Why is no-one talking about what a shit gimmick War Games is? 30 minutes of a match where there are no stakes as nothing can really happen until the last person is in. Absolute bollocks.

This, entirely this. Even Blood and Guts, its just another gimmick match thats all hype and no delivery. Dives from a cage / structure, can be chucked in with dives to the outside, swantons, Spanish Flys, Canadian Destroyers (the list goes on) of shit that was once impressive and garnered a reaction, but has now been de-sensitised just to every Tom, Dick and Johnny Kickpad doing them. Watch Raw, Dynamite, Smackdown, Impact, whatever, and you will see most of the above done multiple times per show. 

Maybe its the agents that need to be working on this shit, reign in the workers. 

• Paid Members

I swear Cole mentioned the match doesn’t start until all participants are in the ring at least a dozen times. It was exhausting and I genuinely can’t understand the logic of him endlessly repeating it.

”NONE OF THIS MATTERS YET! JUST FAST FOWARD!”

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RalphyV2 said:

I was thinking, maybe they could tease the weapon usage by suspending them above the ring on the edges of the cage, meaning that to get one, someone has to climb the cage to then get it. This way both heel/face teams can try to stop each other from getting the weapons, and when someone actually gets one i feel the crowd may pop more and it becomes a bit more meaningful

I could be wrong, but I'm sure TNA did this with weapons dangling from the cage.

• Paid Members

The biggest irony coming out of the show was Triple H at the press conference, talking about Hell in a Cell. Discussing how it’s lost all lustre as a violent, conclusive match, which he wants to bring back.

Meanwhile, twenty minutes earlier, he presented two War Games matches that had zero sense of violence or heat. Just this weird game show, with people waiting for their turn to run to the ring, collect some weapons and do some spots. Nobody was saving anyone from a beatdown. Nobody was looking for any revenge. Nobody was building any heat. It was TNA at its worst, so bogged down in the ADMIN and TECHNICALITIES of it all that they’ve lost sight of what it’s supposed to be in the first place. You know, a scrap.

Fitting in a way that this is a prelude to that weird scramble nonsense they’ve got coming up on the next NXT show. I don’t know how anyone can say the word, “penalty box,” in a booking meeting and not immediately be sacked on the spot.

But yeah. Let’s look at the positive. Sami Zayn wins the Royal Rumble. Roman forces him to put the Title shot up for grabs in the Elimination Chamber, telling him to lie down. Sami chooses otherwise. I die from happiness.

Edited by Supremo

The fact that a lot of people here have focused on that fact no one can win until everyone's in shows how much the point has been missed. It's about how much damage you can do to the opposite team BEFORE the numbers are even and pins become available. As ever, BomberPat hits the nail on the head. The heels should be toying with the outnumbered faces. Holds should be wrenched on without the hope of a rope break or submission. It's ENTIRELY about the valiance of the faces to gut it out, never give up, and keep fighting back no matter the odds. It's another sad indictment of the wrestlers taking more stunt risks for less payoff.

I actually enjoyed both WarGames matches.  I agree with @CavemanLynnthat the point is to survive till the bell.  I think they could happily cut the 5 minute timer to 3 minutes and tighten the whole thing up, and it would sell the concept a lot more if generally, by the time the bell rings, some people actually HAVE been taken out completely.

Still, the matches were fun.  Lots of star power in the female one.  Why do Io and Aska now dress identically?  That's confusing.  And the entire Bloodline story was so well told in the men's, with everyone showing a lot of arse to sell the big picture.

I think Supes mentioned it earlier, but... I have never heard a crowd less interested in a match and a finish than the Rousey match.  I saw her at the O2 when she came over during her first run, and she absolutely tore the roof off the place.  Now she's met with complete indifference.  What a fall.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

The fact that a lot of people here have focused on that fact no one can win until everyone's in shows how much the point has been missed. It's about how much damage you can do to the opposite team BEFORE the numbers are even and pins become available. As ever, BomberPat hits the nail on the head. The heels should be toying with the outnumbered faces. Holds should be wrenched on without the hope of a rope break or submission. It's ENTIRELY about the valiance of the faces to gut it out, never give up, and keep fighting back no matter the odds. It's another sad indictment of the wrestlers taking more stunt risks for less payoff.

Yeah. The problem is none of that happened. No-one was taken out, so what was the point. Bomber nailed, a point, maybe one WWE should take notice of. But when people complain that AEW PPVs are too long at 4 hours, it was nice of WWE who gave us 2 matches which felt as long as an AEW PPV.

• Paid Members

Supremo was right in that there was just no heat. Part of that is because it's hard to generate tension without the risk that the match could end at any moment, but there was just no effort to play into the storytelling opportunities offered by the match. That's particularly egregious when there were two of the bloody things. Annoyingly, the one story they did tell - was Sami Zayn really on the same side as the Bloodline, and vice versa - could probably have been better told in a well-booked traditional Survivor Series match.

2 hours ago, Loki said:

I think Supes mentioned it earlier, but... I have never heard a crowd less interested in a match and a finish than the Rousey match.  I saw her at the O2 when she came over during her first run, and she absolutely tore the roof off the place.  Now she's met with complete indifference.  What a fall.

Probably because she was in there with Shotzi Blackheart, who in addition to being fucking awful was never winning that match, so what was their there to get invested in?

Solid classic booking having Belair lead from the front while Bayley waits her turn. I quite liked the Rhea/Lynch tease too, that could be a decent match somewhere down the line. 
Alexa Bliss did absolutely fuck all (apart nearly gorerot herself with the camera cable on the way in) until she’d been in for about 20 minutes and it was time for her and Nikki to piss about with some handcuffs.

Sami v Roman is absolutely the match to go with. I know there a lot of people back in the summer fantasy booking a Royal Rumble return & win for Cody, but assuming he does return, I’d hold off anything to do involving him in the main event until they’ve concluded this story with the Bloodline. 
For all the talk it being Rock v Roman at Wrestlemania, any other time I’d be fine with that as it’s a huge match. But with how this Bloodline story has been going,  how can you go with anything other than Sami v Roman. 
I know they don’t tend to have people work both nights of Wrestlemania, but you could really build the entire weekend around the Bloodline’s story. You could have Sami and Owens v The Usos, doesn’t even have to be for the Tag belts, have it be for Sami’s #1 Contendership, while you can have Roman v Rock, then have Sami v Roman close out Night 2

24 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Probably because she was in there with Shotzi Blackheart, who in addition to being fucking awful was never winning that match, so what was their there to get invested in?

That definitely didn't help, but also Ronda is really shit this time round. No one really cares about her at all. So yeah, two people that no one gave a shit about. They never stood a chance.

5 minutes ago, RalphyV2 said:

Am i right to assume in UFC that constant travel is at least not so bad as WWE? 

There isn’t any travel in UFC except for the fights you’re in, which are months apart. Training camps may be set up in altitude but you stay there. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

There isn’t any travel in UFC except for the fights you’re in, which are months apart. Training camps may be set up in altitude but you stay there. 

Also, shes on a Roman/Brock deal. So she isn't on TV or on shows weekly. It's why she's been "suspended" at least twice this year.