Favourite silly things in wrestling

Chris B

17 minutes ago, JLM said:

This whole this is tremendous. Statlander returning inside a claw machine. The plexi being much easier to smash than expected so Penelope got properly pied in the face with it, then an absolutely gorgeous spinning ki crusher through a DIY air hockey table. Ridiculously entertaining 80 seconds. 

Right the Best Friends. I know Chuck Taylor is what he is, but in the pandemic era they absolutely shone as one of the most fun acts. They feuded with Santana & Ortiz over vandalising a wrestlers mom's minivan. Its absolutely stupid and completely ludicrous, yet built to a super violent match. There is a build up promo they do where both Taylor and Trent absolutely deliver a promo but it's funny because of how absurd the spark of the feud is. Trent's line at the end. 

l love pandemic era post summer 2020 AEW. 

49 minutes ago, Chris B said:

One bit of pantomime done recently in a couple of matches that I've really enjoyed - when heel managers/sidekicks are thrown out. It's all so over the top, and their anguished responses, are always entertaining. They absolutely cannot believe that this is happening and all their plans are shattered. Rebel's reaction to being thrown out of the Jamie Hayter match was beautifully done.

My favourite of these recently was Best Friends being shocked that they were ejected for bringing out a chainsaw.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Chris B said:

One bit of pantomime done recently in a couple of matches that I've really enjoyed - when heel managers/sidekicks are thrown out. It's all so over the top, and their anguished responses, are always entertaining. They absolutely cannot believe that this is happening and all their plans are shattered. Rebel's reaction to being thrown out of the Jamie Hayter match was beautifully done.

It was my absolute favourite thing to do as a ref, too. The real wind-up of the arms, the big point and the, "YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!" is just immensely satisfying. I'll always pop for it.

Manager reactions are always incredible. I think Colonel Robert Parker was hugely underrated - this huge man who manages to become an effete shrinking violet, mopping his brow and fanning himself with a handkerchief whenever his wrestler is getting beaten, just brilliantly over the top.

A lot of wrestling comedy can be overly meta and not as funny as it thinks it is, but when it goes full slapstick it's the best. An elaborate sequence of spots resulting in a heel accidentally hitting their tag partner in the balls? Brilliant. Always.

• Paid Members

Give me daft, off site brawls akin to Austin / Booker T or the old Hardcore title stuff over most comedy these days. Stuff like Crash Holly in the kids play area trying to get away from the Headbangers always reminds me of how fun the Hardcore Title was. 

Two things that always got a chuckle out of me were when Jericho would shout “Ask him” repeatedly when applying a submission and the La Resistance fella doing his side step dance, think they called it the French Tickler?

And of course, Regals face at the start of that 60 man Battle Royal. In fact any Regal comedy, he said how the seaside comics were an inspiration for him and his timing and expressions are on a different level. 

2 hours ago, RalphyV2 said:

Something else that has sprung to mind. I know that it makes sense for a wrestler to wear his/her Mask most of the time to stop people knowing the identity of them. Whenever i see a masked wrestler in a situation you wouldn't otherwise wear a mask for makes me laugh. Kane on the weakest link for instance,  wearing full ring gear, while everyone else is in regular type clothes 

hqdefault.jpg

It's a shame he's turned out to be a cunt.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Version1.0 said:

It's a shame he's turned out to be a cunt.

Feels like this should be considered a given clause when we're talking about almost every wrestler ever. Except Bobby Eaton.

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Right the Best Friends. I know Chuck Taylor is what he is, but in the pandemic era they absolutely shone as one of the most fun acts. They feuded with Santana & Ortiz over vandalising a wrestlers mom's minivan. Its absolutely stupid and completely ludicrous, yet built to a super violent match. There is a build up promo they do where both Taylor and Trent absolutely deliver a promo but it's funny because of how absurd the spark of the feud is. Trent's line at the end. 

l love pandemic era post summer 2020 AEW. 

and any time Sue would turn up was a joy. 

https://media.tenor.com/9OZWOt7sb7kAAAAM/aew-wrestling.gif

Similar to Scotty with the Worm, my favourite silly things in wrestling are - and I get this a lot with live music too - just knowing that the people involved are having the time of their lives.

To that end, pretty much anything Owen and Bulldog done together as a tag team gets the nod for me. Just some of the finest heel hotdogging ever. There's an act that come out of the curtain ready to show arse, wind the fans up out of love and say any amount of daft, stupid shit to get a reaction. 

There's multi team matches from the era where neither of them are even in the ring and they're pretty much impossible to ignore. Owen was the closest wrestling got to having a wiry, Rik Mayall energy around then and Bulldog ignoring the match and getting into good natured slagging with the fans from the tag position will never not be funny. 

They'd be incredible today having those social media ready interactions with pretty much anybody you can think of. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Yes. The much missed New Generation Podcasts made me more aware of shit talking Davey Boy. He has full on panto arguments with the front row before doing a bicep pose or something so 'he wins'. Owen Hart from 1994-1997 is such a delightful shit in the boo him but love the silliness of him. 

Edited to add Owen's always silly sounding 'woo' of triumph. It's not delivered with the big time of Ric Flair, but more like a teenage cartoon villain who scored a minor win. Both arms up 'I'm the best. Woo!' 

Edited by Chili

I've got a couple from EVE. One was Kasey having to wrestle Command Bolshoi (kind of a wrestling clown) but having a phobia of clowns. Which is both believable and ridiculous.

There's also the time they used a wrestling show to tell the story of Kris Wolf's life which started with a wrestling march depicting 3 women painted like sperms and one wrestler acting as the egg. Which on paper sounds awful but resulted in a delightful moment during the interval when one of the wrestlers ran across the street outside the venue while face painted to look like a sperm. 

Otherwise, I love it whenever a wrestler chops/punches someone and then complains about hurting their own hand. 

I also love the fact that in the world of wrestling paternity can be decided in ladder matches. I kinda wish that there was a wrestling show that existed in its own little universe where that kind of thing is just the norm.