Favourite silly things in wrestling

Chris B

I think Regal's British humor in general always cracks me up, one moment I always remember was when he caught Tajiri looking at Torrie Wilson's playboy magazine and he said "Stop that, you will go blind". There was also another incident where he called somebody a 'Window licker', all these expressions just go right over the Americans heads.

When a ref sends manager to the back, the whole 'rolling up his arm' before he sends them, I think football would really benefit from introducing this for red cards.

Getting knocked out by a Championship Belt, how that has become a deadly weapon in wrestling is genius.

This might be controversial but Lawler during the Divas era was hilarious on commentary, I loved how he just used to lose it and say things like "Oh JR, just look at her" , "It's thong JR" etc. I know it grated on most but it never failed to crack me up, I also love Quagmire on Family Guy so I suppose I just find over the top sexual humor funny

Ā 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

There was also another incident where he called somebody a 'Window licker', all these expressions just go right over the Americans heads.

Probably for the best in regards to that example.

• Paid Members

Not him on commentary but him with his "mom" always amused me.

Lawler's baiting the crowd, hart jokes and hamming it up on a midgets shoulders also always gets a smile from me. Him being a lecherous old goat not so much, but hammy comedy Lawler is always a delight.

4 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Raven was arguably at his best when playing the rich kid cosplaying as a deep brooding greebo just to annoy his mum, him taking Kanyon cloths shopping is one of the stupidest and most fun things WCW ever put out and I'm gutted they never did more skits of that sort.

He hated that gimmick/story didn't he? Shame if so because it was some of his best work.

Also his run as Johnny Polo was silly fun as well.

• Paid Members

Brandon Cutler accidentally spraying Matt Jackson in the face, frozen with fear and unable to stop, made me laugh so much.

Ā 

Brandon Cutler has been great at the comedic stuff for a while - his feud with Peter Avalon (and follow-up promo after he turned heel, stealing Avalon's wallet) was great.

I also loved the bit in Being The Elite, where the Dark Order were blackmailing Cutler (with the secret that Cutler had been one of the masked guys attacking the Bucks back in the day). It had been repeatedly established that the Bucks never watch BTE, so the Dark Order were just blackmailing him openly in the videos. And it looked like it was going to be an ongoing thing - then suddenly subverted when Nick opened the next video by telling Cutler 'So, I just watched Being The Elite for the first time ever...', and extorted him into turning heel. Just fantastically silly stuff.

• Paid Members

That's just reminded me: Santino Marella. From stealing Lawler's Subway to "Tom Hanks, with the AIDS" to power-walking the ropes instead of running them, the guy was a riot.

Oh, and the Cobra finish, complete with custom sock.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Raven was arguably at his best when playing the rich kid cosplaying as a deep brooding greebo just to annoy his mum, him taking Kanyon cloths shopping is one of the stupidest and most fun things WCW ever put out and I'm gutted they never did more skits of that sort.

I always loved it, and never saw why people didn't - Raven was such an internet darling with gothy teens, myself included, and I suppose they saw it as a bit of a betrayal of the integrity of the character, but actually it's the exact opposite. When he debuted in ECW, they openly talked about how it was Johnny Polo coming in, so they are canonically the same character - heĀ wasĀ a rich kid cosplaying as a brooding greebo, and all his talk of abuse and poverty and living on the streets was bullshit that he'd made up to win people over, and to seem deep and interesting. Anyone who's hung around punk, metal, or alternative music spaces long enough knows that guy. And he was a heel, heĀ shouldĀ be disingenuous about all this stuff!

It's way past the point when it could have worked, but pre-Fiend, it's how they should have salvaged the Bray Wyatt character. Have him exposed as a rich son of privilege who made up his entire backstory in order to exploit people.Ā 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

He hated that gimmick/story didn't he? Shame if so because it was some of his best work.

I've always heard it was his idea and pitch and he wanted it to end up with a run against Piper, so I don't think he hated it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Fuck yes, it was. Manager yes, but his commentary is forgotten. There's a Coliseum match he's doing with Monsoon where he tries to trump "knock-down drag out" with "knock-down drag out, rock n roll party in the street" and when Gorilla says it sounds like a country song, Polo spontaneously starts singing. I don't know why but it cracks me up. And he'd brag about being able to beat up Lord Alfred Hays or randomly ask Gorilla if he ever wrestled Ed "Strangler" Lewis and all sorts of nonsense.

45 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

From memory even his feud with Tommy Dreamer was a load of silly bollocks.Ā 

Something to with when they were kids at summer camp, wasn't it?Ā 

Yeahhhhhhhh but it was amazing. Fantastic start to finish promotion-spanning stuff that crossed over Dreamers feud with Shane Douglas and Ravens with Sandy for the belt, took in the bWo, Terry Funk, the entire tag team division and virtually every player in the promotion, and when they ended it with the perfect ending, it seamlessly moved the viewers into Dreamer's new run with Lawler/Sabu/RVD. It was one of my favourite arcs ever.

• Paid Members

That brief period where Austin would keep checking his imaginary watch still cracks me up to this day when I happen across it on any old wrestling I'm watching. There was no point to it which was probably why it was so funny to me. Like when Vince would flick the rope when he got in the ring.