Favourite silly things in wrestling

Chris B

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RalphyV2 said:

Reminds me of these, Edge and Christian in disguise as los conquistadores. always made me laugh 

This reminds me of one of the most confusing tag team title changes of all time. The Conquistadors won the tag team titles from the Hardys, then defended them against Edge & Christian the next night and won, to "retain." They unmasked as the Hardys, meaning it seemed like they won the tag team titles from themselves. Except footage proved that during the first match, it had been E&C under the masks. So, on paper, the Hardys won the belts from E&C, lost them to them at No Mercy then won them back the night after. But the truth is that "the Conquistadors" won them, and never really lost them.

C-O-N-spiracy.

• Paid Members
On 11/25/2022 at 10:58 PM, Merzbow said:

Didn't a bunch of video games base how characters sold the stunner on how The Rock would oversell them?

At least one (HCTP?) had multiple animations of the Stunner that you could change Austin's (or your CAWs) special to, depending on if you wanted them to sell it normally, like Rock, jumping up in the air like Scott Hall, collapsing like a sack of crap like Vince, possibly others. Cute in theory but utterly pointless as it loses the appeal of "the Rock sell" if everyone from Rey to Big Show to Ric Flair is doing it.

• Paid Members

Didn't he take the Stunner like that at the end of the 98 Royal Rumble as well? I'd somehow gotten in my head that he sold it so ridiculously that he pushed himself out over the top rope and eliminated himself, but I recall it not being the case now. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Didn't he take the Stunner like that at the end of the 98 Royal Rumble as well? I'd somehow gotten in my head that he sold it so ridiculously that he pushed himself out over the top rope and eliminated himself, but I recall it not being the case now. 

Someone definitely bounced over the ropes selling a Stunner for their elimination but it wasn’t Rocky. That’s probably the opposite of this thread for me E.g so fucking stupid it’s no longer funny. Like veteran of millions of battles royal Randy Savage going for the pin in 93.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

it was such a weird comedy booking trope in WWE for years for the punchline to just be, "and then lots of old wrestlers dance for a bit".

Although that might be from the backstage segment where Dusty bumps into Goldust and Dashing Cody, and then perfectly delivers the line, "man, I raised some weird kids", which is an all-timer for me.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I'll always have a soft spot for daft finishes that still make sense. I don't think anything will ever top Big Show losing a tables match because he stepped onto a table and it fell through.

When I was at school, there always a few bullshit artists who would insist that they knew what had happened on a wrestling show before it aired. Some of them had a really good hit rate - this is before we discovered that they could just check WWF.com after RAW had aired in the US and before it was on here, yet even those guys still couldn't help themselves predicting that Ken Shamrock was definitely coming back this week - while others just made stuff up every time, and I never understood what they got out of it, because they must have known that people were going to go home and watch the show and see that they'd lied.

Anyway, so much of what a couple of these kids used to say always came down to that sort of finish that would be technically correct, but would make for spectacularly underwhelming TV: one year the Royal Rumble was going to come down to just the Acolytes in the ring at number 28 and 29, they'd both throw each other out, and then number 30 would come out to an empty ring and win by default, that sort of thing. Someone was going to lose an I Quit match by grabbing the microphone and saying, "I'm going to make you say 'I Quit'", and then losing because they just said it. I'm sure they must have come up with "someone accidentally puts themselves through a table to lose a tables match" at least once.