• Paid Members

Am I being a total cynic in thinking it may all be a deliberate ploy to get people talking about AEW again as a result of the relative goodwill towards WWE since VKM's departure? 

It does feel that AEW is meandering a bit and need a shot in the arm of some sort given the honeymoon period is over.

6 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Am I being a total cynic in thinking it may all be a deliberate ploy to get people talking about AEW again as a result of the relative goodwill towards WWE since VKM's departure? 

It does feel that AEW is meandering a bit and need a shot in the arm of some sort given the honeymoon period is over.

Poor Colt Cabana.

• Paid Members

Fucks sake, I came out of watching that show happy and now all this bollocks has depressed me. Seems like the backstage tensions all seem to be around CM Punk which shouldn't be hugely surprising as most people seem to dislike the guy. Regardless of whose in the right or wrong over the issue the fact is that no member of staff for any company anywhere should behave like Punk did in that press conference. There is no excuse for it. Can you imagine John Cena, Triple H, Undertaker, Austin, Rock or literally anyone else in a top position ever pulling that shit? Even 97 HBK wouldn't have gone that far. Khan should fire him.

As for the show itself,  biggest surprise was The Acclaimed and Swerve/Lee stealing the show.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Fucks sake, I came out of watching that show happy and now all this bollocks has depressed me. Seems like the backstage tensions all seem to be around CM Punk which shouldn't be hugely surprising as most people seem to dislike the guy. Regardless of whose in the right or wrong over the issue the fact is that no member of staff for any company anywhere should behave like Punk did in that press conference. There is no excuse for it. Can you imagine John Cena, Triple H, Undertaker, Austin, Rock or literally anyone else in a top position ever pulling that shit? Even 97 HBK wouldn't have gone that far. Khan should fire him.

As for the show itself,  biggest surprise was The Acclaimed and Swerve/Lee stealing the show.

I still can’t believe he just sat there and let punk do what he did with zero push back 

I’m not suggesting he drags him off but try and shut it down atleast 

Many were keen to point out over the past year (before the injury) that Punk was happy, having fun, excited to be in front of crowds, working against young talent etc. There were of course inklings that it could have been a little disingenuous but that could have easily been subtle in-ring storyline things. But it stood out for me when he talked in this presser about the horrible rehab. He's been hurt badly, it was probably embarrassing for him, and at one of the worst times. He got angry, he was forced to be cooped up for weeks, he may have been depressed on some level - and he's just let it all out on his return, and especially so after that Colt question. He could totally be right that others have made it more difficult with some issues, and also not addressed things correctly, but he can't throw all this "I'm working with children" stuff while acting like this. At the end of the day it's unprofessional. If the boss doesn't get a grip on this problem, who's to stop others acting out of line in the future.

Anyway, fun show! And yes as said above, Dax Harwood and his kid was just the best thing. Also loved the Christian / Jungle Boy section, I'm glad they went down that route.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Can you imagine John Cena, Triple H, Undertaker, Austin, Rock or literally anyone else in a top position ever pulling that shit? Even 97 HBK wouldn't have gone that far. Khan should fire him.

The Clique managed to convince Vince McMahon that he was an honorary member and were able to take the piss as a result.

There's no way, given the wrestler mindset, that the guys in AEW with any name in the business see TK as anything other than a money mark to be exploited for as long as they can.

Rightly or wrongly, he's the next coming of Dixie Carter in their eyes. A lax backstage environment has led to some pushing it as far as they can.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

The Clique managed to convince Vince McMahon that he was an honorary member and were able to take the piss as a result.

There's no way, given the wrestler mindset, that the guys in AEW with any name in the business see TK as anything other than a money mark to be exploited for as long as they can.

He's the next coming of Dixie Carter in their eyes.

Taking the piss is one thing but if HBK called Pat Patterson a dumb motherfucker at a press conference I don't think Vince would have stood for it.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

Taking the piss is one thing but if HBK called Pat Patterson a dumb motherfucker at a press conference I don't think Vince would have stood for it.

All relative to the era isn't it? They only hosted worked press conferences back then. I have no doubt 1996 HBK and a live mic would have interesting results...

• Paid Members

On paper it didn’t look good but the show over achieved expectations. Highlight was defo the Trios Title, Tag Title, and Daz’s daughter pinning Dutt. Beautiful stuff. The stuff post main was also done brilliantly and had me back invested. As for the presser, I’m still believing it’s a work but I guess BTE will be interesting tonight.

• Paid Members

I honestly fail to see the benefit in any area to this being a work. I could be wrong, obviously, but if it is a work, it's a really poor, short sighted one. For your champion to be calling everyone shitarses and calling out the boss, when he's supposed to be face, it made everyone look poor. Tony Khan most of all. 

3 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I honestly fail to see the benefit in any area to this being a work. I could be wrong, obviously, but if it is a work, it's a really poor, short sighted one. For your champion to be calling everyone shitarses and calling out the boss, when he's supposed to be face, it made everyone look poor. Tony Khan most of all. 

Yeah, I don't understand why Punk spending half of the scrum shit talking Colt Cabana is a work. Not like they're gonna be feuding? And calling Hangman out. 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Shawn Michaels once referred to The Undertaker, who wasn't in the building, as "chickenshit" in front of a few thousand fans at a TV taping, where Taker not being there to come out and confront him would actually confirm that he was too much of a coward to face him, which ended up edited out of the interview as aired to a global TV audience, but not that he would have known that. The fucking Undertaker. Vince punished him by putting him over Taker at the next PPV and making him WWF Champion on the one after that. He could have called Pat whatever he wanted.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Did Punk actually get asked a question about Colt? The feed I saw just started with Punk asking the guy if he was mates with him, having that question absolutely fail to set him up and then go off an one regardless.