Mes que un Thread (22-23 Domestic Football, unless domestic is Scotland)

Duke

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

Just this weekend I've seen people with a sizeable social media following claiming the ball has to be played forward for a player to be offside.

9 hours ago, seph said:

When was the last time an offisde has been called on a sideways or backward pass? I actually can't remember.

20 minutes ago, MungoChutney said:

It's fairly rare but Rangers second goal at Vs St Johnstone last weekend was an example albeit the goal stood when it shouldn't have. 

This is a common misconception because of the rarity of a player standing offside ahead of both ball and last defender, the pass being sideways or backwards, and the player coming back to retrieve the ball where upon they are/should be flagged. People have seen so many goals where the scorer has been beyond the last defender but behind play when receiving it via sideways or backwards pass that they’ve grown to believe the direction of the pass is relevant and not solely the position of the receiving player.

Edited by air_raid

Komrade Klopp consciously using the phrase mentality monster in his rubbishing of Gabby Agbonlahor is some decent shithousery. Hope he keeps plugging away at it like WWE do with the WWE universe shtick. 

• Paid Members

Palace looked decent, even though it’s only Villa.

Pearce banging on about the offside not being “in the spirit of the game” did my nut in. What part of “the spirit of the game?” If you’re clinging onto “give the benefit of the doubt to the attackers” then that died the second we started using freeze frame replays to judge offside. I can appreciate that it was tight/impossible for the naked eye to judge perhaps, but let’s not flog a dead horse.

• Paid Members

Good result for your boys too air_raid. That Perisic/Kane combo is going to cause plenty of teams problems this season. 

Are Arsenal actually....quite good now? That's two clean sheets in three games, nine goals scored, nobody has been able to cope with Gabriel Jesus, they're bossing games in midfield, have a number of good defensive options including Zinchenko and Saliba (that fucking song though...) and it all seems quite harmonious there for the first time in a long, long while. 

The final question mark possibly revolves around depth, i.e if Jesus gets injured are they equipped to cope without him in the long term. But I've been very impressed with them so far. 

34 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Good result for your boys too air_raid. That Perisic/Kane combo is going to cause plenty of teams problems this season. 

I cannot believe Perisic plays for us. He was absolutely brilliant yesterday. I have no idea how he gets most of his crosses in, as there looks like no opportunity to get one in, then bang, it's been delivered. Unreal. 

And I love the idea of him 'coaching' Sessegnon, who I believe is a great player, who just needs to come out of his shell more.

34 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Are Arsenal actually....quite good now? That's two clean sheets in three games, nine goals scored, nobody has been able to cope with Gabriel Jesus, they're bossing games in midfield, have a number of good defensive options including Zinchenko and Saliba (that fucking song though...) and it all seems quite harmonious there for the first time in a long, long while. 

The final question mark possibly revolves around depth, i.e if Jesus gets injured are they equipped to cope without him in the long term. But I've been very impressed with them so far. 

Reminder that Nuno was top this time last season with 3 wins...

But no seriously, Jesus was always going to be a smart buy, as was Zinchenko. The latter is a brilliant player, who I'm surprised wasn't more sought after.

Obviously, like Spurs, at some point it'll all go tits up, but they certainly have started strongly.

Think like you say, what happens when there is an injury to a key player. What's the alternative, Eddie Nketiah?

• Paid Members

Belter of a game between Newcastle and Man City. Trust Almiron and Trippier to score when I've benched them both in fantasy.

Not a popular take but Jury's still out on Haaland for me - which seems mad to say when he's scored three goals now. City's midfield are electric but the ball just doesn't seem to find its way to him enough. It just doesn't feel like he fits their mould at all. He'll always get goals but at the moment I haven't seen enough to suggest he's going to take the league by storm in the same manner as the likes of Salah for instance. I think he'll have more frustrating outings like the one against Bournemouth for instance. 

City will still win the league mind. Can't ever count them out even when two goals behind and under the cosh. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

But no seriously, Jesus was always going to be a smart buy, as was Zinchenko. The latter is a brilliant player, who I'm surprised wasn't more sought after

I think we should only ever buy players from City in future. Maybe we can have those Cancelo and Rodri fellas next. Cancelo could be a decent back up to Benjamin White at RB.

8 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

What's the alternative, Eddie Nketiah?

Yep. I'm happy with him as back-up, he had a really good run when Arteta finally put some trust in him (well, he had no choice as Auba went and Laca was knackered) at the end of last season. Showed he was more than just a 6 yard poacher and did a very good job pressing. Still a big drop off from Jesus mind. 

• Paid Members

Bristol City stuck it to Cardiff again, and I was 150 miles away watching my American Football team's season come to a skidding halt. /pitybrag

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

I was surprised he didn’t start Bissouma or Richarlison too but given how we laboured at times it’s best he didn’t!

15 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I cannot believe Perisic plays for us.

I remember the disbelief was up there with Van der Vaart for me in terms of “how’s that happening?” in terms of signing a player you know immediately will make your side better. I’ll never forget where and when I heard, which for Perisic was a palatial yet cheap booking.con apartment in coastal Poland, as opposed to a TGI Fridays when I found out about Van der Vaart.

12 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Yep. I'm happy with him as back-up, he had a really good run when Arteta finally put some trust in him (well, he had no choice as Auba went and Laca was knackered) at the end of last season. Showed he was more than just a 6 yard poacher and did a very good job pressing. Still a big drop off from Jesus mind. 

Yeah Eddie has really bulked up as well. He's an absolute goal scorer. I think the goals thing is why we're looking at another attacking player. If Arsenal can bring in 2 more players in the midfield, we'll be a handful this season

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Duke said:

Chelsea Twitter brain trust working overtime on how to blame Anthony Taylor for this one.

Media blaming Sterling, as is their wont.