Mes que un Thread (22-23 Domestic Football, unless domestic is Scotland)

Duke

• Paid Members

That follow-up statement is more damning and he's been badly advised there (if he's been advised at all) by the PR types. That'll put his Sky deal under more threat. 

A simple change in terminology would have saved him all aggro - instead of saying a man's game, he could have made reference to the fact they there were playing like adults, not rolling around on the ground simulating like children. Which I think is still the point he's trying to convey. 

But to make a comment about it being a man's game whilst sat next to female pundit, then to be corrected on air by the host, but to then make another comment about a man's game afterwards is either being plainly stubborn or unknowingly foolish. I don't think he's trying to deliberately dig at the women's game, but a man of his experience must surely be better placed to see how that could be taken out of context. Only himself to blame. 

As a highly-paid pundit (we assume) to a broad audience, he absolutely should be taken to task for it. It hasn't been difficult for other pundits to adjust to. Whatever his opinion on the subject, he has to understand that comments like that will generate negative publicity and is absolutely nobody's interest to spout, whatever your own personal opinion on the subject matter. 

He's also a bit shit. His voice is going, he cuts people off at awkward interludes and feels very out of touch with the modern game. You wouldn't miss him should be be replaced. At all. Even before his comments at the weekend.

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

35 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Yes, that's Karen Carney, who Souness was sitting next to while giving his statement quoted above. This was her immediate reaction.

When she's won 4 Skol cups, 3 Milk cups, a Copa Italia and a Turkish Super Cup she can have an opinion.

47 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

A simple change in terminology would have saved him all aggro - instead of saying a man's game, he could have made reference to the fact they there were playing like adults, not rolling around on the ground simulating like children. Which I think is still the point he's trying to convey. 

No, he meant they were playing like men. Souness has always had a problem with simulation from the time he wrongfully got sent off for this...

spacer.png

You get up, dust yourself off, and be a man about it.

He’s obviously a bit of a dinosaur in his ways but I can’t see why people are pretending not to know that he was using “man” as an outdated term for toughness and wasn’t actually saying only men can play football. 

As a punishment they should send him to Pogba’s barber for an updated do and make him have a Twitter bio with his pronouns on there.

1 minute ago, Mr_Danger said:

He’s obviously a bit of a dinosaur in his ways but I can’t see why people are pretending not to know that he was using “man” as an outdated term for toughness and wasn’t actually saying only men can play football. 

All joking aside, I think that just about nails it. He didn't mean anything by it, and having seen him actually say it live on the show and then read the media coverage, it's pretty clear they've taken it way out of context in their typical pursuit of clicks and getting everyone all riled up. It was obvious what he meant, even if it wasn't the most polished delivery.

He clearly loved seeing the passion in the London Derby game, and I'll never fault a pundit for being excited and really proud of the product they're paid to champion. I know everyone is supposed to be mega-conservative and careful about everything they say nowadays for fear of the great Twitter storm that is always waiting, and I know Souness is a bit of a riot sometimes, but a football world where guys like him and Roy Keane aren't around will be a poorer world in my opinion.

@Fatty Facesittersaid he wouldn't be missed if he were replaced. I disagree. Souness, like him or not, knows football. He's played and managed at the very top, and lends an insight that you can't really get from anyone else. At the very least he has an actual opinion, instead of the "punditry-by-numbers" we're increasingly getting now.

In short, removing him would just be one huge step forward in ensuring the offering from Sky is as bland and shite as ever. 

Question: Does anyone actually care what pundits are on? I really couldn't care less which ones are in the studio (mostly as I stream from around the world so it's always a lovely mixture of people like Warren Barton, Craig Forrester, Shaka Hislop or whichever players from the 90s they can drudge up)

Having said that, I think we can all agree that Jamie Redknapp should be let go. Also, Martin Tyler as well. "Too much sun, not enough Son" 

Also, compare him to Peter Drury. Legend. Theyve copyrighted him commentating over the second Spurs goal, but this is just as good.

2 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

That'll put his Sky deal under more threat. 

Sky kept with a bloke who spat at a kid. I'm sure Souness will be fine

Conte better watch himself around Tuchel. That guy looks like he has seen things we'll never know. He'll be hiding in his garden at night silently rocking.

On a side note, thought Chelsea were excellent. They need a striker though. Maybe they can blow another load of money on one who flops.

Arsenal motoring along nicely. Man United in the bin. All good stuff

Edited by Factotum

Chelsea are meant to be chasing Antony Gordon for some reason, rumoured to be at the expense of Gallagher going the opposite way albeit on loan. That’s a bad transfer for Chelsea, Antony Gordon gets nowhere near the hype if he’s Scotch or French or something. Decent prospect but not worth pushing the boat out for.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Question: Does anyone actually care what pundits are on?

I do, but I'm quickly losing interest by the season. I usually quite enjoy watching United lose or something controversial happen then seeing someone like Souness get all huffy about it or Keane try to keep his composure.