Mes que un Thread (22-23 Domestic Football, unless domestic is Scotland)

Duke

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

Any manager linked with Chelsea is going to say yes. The severance package that will come with the sack after 8 months would be enough to entice anyone, regardless of how happy they might be.

And it's also a free pass for a job at Spurs later on, if they fancy it. 

• Paid Members

Also, when United start fucking up, he's one more manager United fans can moan about on Twitter along the lines of "If we'd of waited a bit longer we cud of had Tuchel 😭"

• Paid Members

Conversely Chelsea could have had Pochettini now, but decided Potter was a better fit. Huh. Looking at the 11 that started last night and the talent on the bench, I'd have thought the experience in managing players of that level would have made Mauricio a better choice? But they seem keen on Potter straight away. Huh.

• Paid Members

Isn't it weird that after finally winning his first league title, Poch's stock couldn't be lower. United decided against him (and they gave a contract to Ole for crying out loud), PSG replaced him with a non-glitzy name and Chelsea are opting for paying a release clause for Brighton's manager. He needs to pick his next job well. Bit like Emery did.

• Paid Members

Poch will be going to Sevilla once Lopetegui gets shitcanned.

Can see Lopetegui coming to Wolves too, him and our owners have had a love in since before they bought the club.

Crossing all my fingers Diego's medical goes well, the one thing we've missed in our team for years is an absolute bastard on the pitch, was gutted Palinhina went to Fulham, and Costa fits that role to a tee. Hopefully he'll grip the fuck out of our fancy widemen and get them doing more through fear of being locked in his boot and only let out for training.

• Paid Members

I work with a Toffee, it feels like I've thanked him for Richarlison more than once already, and today is definitely that day. Great positional sense for both headers, banana skin avoided, confidence will soar.

7 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I work with a Toffee, it feels like I've thanked him for Richarlison more than once already, and today is definitely that day. Great positional sense for both headers, banana skin avoided, confidence will soar.

🎶doo wah Diddy, diddy dum Diddy doo🎶

• Paid Members

I can't imagine that Potter hasn't said to the hierarchy that if they want him, they're looking at a five-year plan and even saying that he can't guarantee CL football in season 1.

If Chelsea are approaching Potter, then their intent at least is to give him Klopp-level time, where success isn't instantaneous. The challenge will be sticking to that 6 months down the line when we're 6th.

This is a test of Potter. Aside from having to do more of everything, more egos, more money, more players, he's also having to cope with something he's never done before, European football, lots of midweek games, going far in tournaments. I'm not saying he can't do that, but he's never had the change before. He's also got a level of ego that he's never had to deal with before, and we'll see how that goes. Don't be surprised if Auba is off in January. Does Colwill have a recall clause?

This is a test of the owners. They're hopefully getting someone who fits their intended ethos and is playing an infinite game. They're also getting someone who isn't "bigger" to the club than them, which may help with back office harmony. He's an exciting manager in terms of how he brings players through and getting a squad purring, but the Chelsea culture NEEDS to change for him to be remotely worth the investment. There's potential for him to be Chelsea's Fergie (whatever that looks like in 2022), but as well as him needing to perform, the club does. Maybe having Potter in will entice a sporting director who was less sure that Chelsea had changed. Either way, that role just became even more urgent

This is a test of the fans. All the top of the Chelsea hierarchy are gone. All of them. In terms of the club's voice, the only remnant is the fans. We're used to playing season-to-season, finite games. We're used to immediate success. We're used to superstars and individuals who cost a lot of money and have a lot of swagger. It's clear that those expectations haven't changed under the new ownershup. They need to. All signs point to not getting what we're used to under Potter. But maybe, just maybe, we'll get something better, if we're patient (we won't be).

• Paid Members

I was talking to my wife's uncle a couple of months ago, who spent his youth on the terraces in the shed end. His opinion surprised me, but seemed to resonate with a lot of the older fans. He's not particularly fussed if he doesn't see huge success in the future. He never dreamed he'd see Chelsea lift multiple league and European championships when he was a kid and had been used to bouncing between the top divisions. He said the Roman era gave them that, and he loved the ride and glory that came with it, but if that's over then so be it. However the Roman era has spawned an entirely new fanbase too who, as you say, are impatient. Especially many fans from around the world that picked Chelsea based on their success. 

Potter will absolutely need time and it's too easy to say 'well he won't get it at Chelsea' but in terms of how it's run, it's a completely new club. That said, pulling the trigger on Tuchel isn't the best way to show that. I hope whatever happens that this doesn't affect Potter's reputation. 

Do you think Chelsea will remain one of the big boys long term? I'm not entirely sure. They've managed to build up their following and (I hate to use this term) their brand due to their successes which will help, but the spending Boehly has continued with is surely not sustainable and Stamford Bridge is a humongous hindrance in retaining their place up there. Cobham could play massive role in fairness, as it's one of the best facilities in football and Chelsea are one of the best at churning out talent. The other big six seem better equipped long-term to be major players (although Liverpool need to improve in areas) and perhaps Newcastle too.

13 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Do you think Chelsea will remain one of the big boys long term?

Absolutely. I assume we're talking about the "big 6" here?

In that case, Chelsea could afford to be out of the top 6 for a few seasons and will still be at the top table.

They're a massive club, with a massive brand, and huge financial backing. *Holding back tears and anger* They will be able to still attract the level of player they have been used to.

This is gutting. Why couldn't they have been liquidated when there was a chance?

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Do you think Chelsea will remain one of the big boys long term? I'm not entirely sure. They've managed to build up their following and (I hate to use this term) their brand due to their successes which will help, but the spending Boehly has continued with is surely not sustainable and Stamford Bridge is a humongous hindrance in retaining their place up there. Cobham could play massive role in fairness, as it's one of the best facilities in football and Chelsea are one of the best at churning out talent. The other big six seem better equipped long-term to be major players (although Liverpool need to improve in areas) and perhaps Newcastle too.

That's the problem with fans like your wife's uncle, they aren't on twitter. It's the twerps who think football is fifa that are, and they're much noisier.

This is an interesting point I hadn't considered. Yeah, I think Chelsea are well equipped to stay the top-ish, but it's definitely not a foregone conclusion.

The sale has helped massively in this, because "sort out Stamford bridge" is built into the bids and so is already planned, and the new owners have done something like that before. If Roman hadn't sold, I'd have been more concerned, because he'd seemingly given up on Stamford Bridge and was mostly interested in immediate returns at this stage. The new owners see a massive commercial opportunity, but also seem to realise that winning is a major part of that. For that reason I think we won't see a Man Utd style decline.

This window saw huge money spent, but I think the other headline has been missed, they've had a clear out of people who shouldn't be on the books anymore. They're re-laying the ground for success in a few years that is more sustainable, which I think is exactly what needs to happen at Chelsea. The big money moves were on Sterling (coming into prime, hopefully), Fofana (10 year plan, hopefully) and Cucurella (likewise). Auba and Koulibaly are to keep the ship steady while those guys flourish. Auba particularly has "interim" written all over him. I think we'll drop away a bit in the next year or two, because the project is a few years behind, but I think we'll come up at exactly the right time, when Pep moves on and City need a reset, when Haaland goes to Real Madrid, Salah has retired and Liverpool have got Gerrard in for some reason. Conte will be long gone by then, and Arteta's Arsenal may well be the team to beat. Chelsea have tried to peak a cycle every year for 11 years and it stopped working 5 years ago, so now we need to work toward commercial opportunity (of which there is loads) and sustainable development.