15 years since the Benoit family tragedy

SaitoRyo

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Sure I remember reading that a botched one (against Hogan, maybe?) fucked his neck up. 

Not exactly. He went for one through a ringside table, Hogan moved, and he suffered an abdomen injury.

On 5/26/2023 at 10:23 PM, Chris B said:

Benoit leaping into a flat forward bump from a height so regularly was likely a factor in his concussions.

Concussions can be a result of full-body impact as well as straight head trauma. It's the sudden impact, especially when it can't be controlled. It's one of the reasons American football tackles caused so much - it wasn't that they were headbutting each other. It's that the impact still effectively rattled the brain.

Think whiplash rather than head-on collision.

Touché 👍

• Paid Members
On 5/27/2023 at 9:48 PM, TheScarlettChad said:

Dynamite Kid was damaged from it too. Yes it was a worked move but it still wasn't safe. 

I've always thought it looks pretty shit too. Not worth the risk at all. A stupid move.

7 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

A stupid move.

I’m astonished when I see people pull it out today as well.  Someone in AEW still does it quite regularly.  It’s so synonymous with Benoit, and linked to his cte.  It’s in very poor taste, let’s just leave that one in the past.

Benoit was hands down my favourite wrestler of all time but I’ve not watched a match of his since, and probably never will.  Neither his career or his brain damage mitigate the double murder, not even slightly, for me.

Edited by Loki

At the end of the day a lot of wrestling fans, including myself, directly or indirectly encouraged/supported/enabled/ignored a very toxic work environment that led to a bloke murdering his wife and son. Whether that's because we cheered the style that led to his brain turning to mush or because we bought t-shirts for a guy who openly abused a new wrestler on PPV. 

You can accept that and stop watching, accept that and support a different wrestling environment (although which one I don't know), accept that and keep watching or ignore the reality of it and believe in a conspiracy theory or believe that you can separate your enjoyment of his wrestling from what he did. 

Those latter two are probably easier. And having him in the Hall of Fame would probably provide those people with a "it's okay that I still enjoy him" moment that makes them feel less complicit. They can still fuck off. But I get it. 

14 minutes ago, Vamp said:

At the end of the day a lot of wrestling fans, including myself, directly or indirectly encouraged/supported/enabled/ignored a very toxic work environment that led to a bloke murdering his wife and son. Whether that's because we cheered the style that led to his brain turning to mush or because we bought t-shirts for a guy who openly abused a new wrestler on PPV. 

I think that's a bit of a stretch. Yeah a lot of people watched him and enjoyed him but why would we think for a second that he was getting fucked up in the brain that much that he was going to murder people? No one would have a clue about that.

3 hours ago, Vamp said:

You and all fans shouldn't harbour any guilt or even the slightest bit of responsibility for what he did. No one could have known he was capable of murdering his wife and son.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Vamp said:

At the end of the day a lot of wrestling fans, including myself, directly or indirectly encouraged/supported/enabled/ignored a very toxic work environment that led to a bloke murdering his wife and son. Whether that's because we cheered the style that led to his brain turning to mush or because we bought t-shirts for a guy who openly abused a new wrestler on PPV

I'm struggling with the causality here. We indirectly caused murder by watching wrestling because wrestling's a shitty industry? Yes, the environment bred plenty of pricks but I don't think Randy Orton, Edge or JBL ever killed anyone. If the new wrestler in question was Daniel Puder in the 2005 Rumble, I don't think Eddy G or Bobcore killed their families either.