woke.

PunkStep

I had a golliwog when I was a kid, knitted for me by the old lady down the road.  We also had the Golliwog comic books, a legacy from my father's childhood.  In leafy middle-class England, shorn of all the implicit weight of Southern US politics, I don't think anyone really thought it could be racist.  Mind you, Black and White Minstrels was still on the telly!

As nostalgic as we all get for the lost innocence of our youth, and as much as I loved that golliwog, made with such love, I really don't think they're a thing that can be excused in the modern age.   I'm trying to imagine analogues - a Jewish cuddly toy with red claws and fangs?  It's just not a trope that can be post-excused or retro-ironically recaptured or anything.

The US has a similar thing with "lawn jockeys" - the US equivalent of a garden gnome that you have on your front lawn, except this being the US they look like this

jockey.jpg

Imagine one of those outside a British pub!

Not sure how many people will be following the saga in Ireland regarding Enoch Burke and his family, but they are very much the gift that keeps on giving.

Enoch Burke comes from a family that are no stranger no controversy (have a listen to the Belfast Telegraph's podcast episode Meet The Burkes for the background), long before the current brouhaha. Enoch managed to get himself suspended from his job as a school teacher in a row over the use of a "they" pronoun for a transgender pupil. Enoch refused to accept this however, and decided to keep going to work anyway, forcing the school to obtain a court order to try and keep him off the premises. Only that didn't work, so Enoch was being fined €700 every time he turned up to school. And that didn't work either. So they locked him up for a while for contempt of court. Only to let him out after a while, and for him to keep turning up to school every day (at least, the days when he's not at a constant series of court cases) relating to the dispute, despite the fact the school's disciplinary process has concluded and he's been sacked. But Enoch doesn't accept the sacking obviously, and keeps turning up to work and getting arrested for trespassing. Enoch rejects this (obviously!) since he can't be accused of trespassing just for going to work. For anyone fancying a deeper dive I'd recommend more Belfast Telegraph podcast episodes (conveniently listed in chronological order), Enoch Burke: What is the Mayo evangelical Christian trying to achieve?, The Burkes: Mayo Christian family cause chaos in court and Enoch Burke claims 'judge laughed, mocked and ridiculed me' - controversial Christian's court travails

2 hours ago, Loki said:

Imagine one of those outside a British pub!

There's a pub near Reading called The Black Boy. Imagine it.

Edit: well there was.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/19025504.shinfield-pub-black-boy-change-name-due-racist-connotations-said/

Another example of the wokearati winning!!! 😤😤😤

Edited by SuperBacon

27 minutes ago, Tamura said:

Not sure how many people will be following the saga in Ireland regarding Enoch Burke and his family, but they are very much the gift that keeps on giving.

Aye, or the grift that keeps on giving. The whole family are like the Irish Phelps family. The sort who hope to get arrested so they can cry persecution. 

52 minutes ago, Tamura said:

Enoch Burke comes from a family that are no stranger no controversy (have a listen to the Belfast Telegraph's podcast episode Meet The Burkes for the background), long before the current brouhaha. Enoch managed to get himself suspended from his job as a school teacher in a row over the use of a "they" pronoun for a transgender pupil. Enoch refused to accept this however, and decided to keep going to work anyway, forcing the school to obtain a court order to try and keep him off the premises. Only that didn't work, so Enoch was being fined €700 every time he turned up to school. And that didn't work either. So they locked him up for a while for contempt of court. Only to let him out after a while, and for him to keep turning up to school every day (at least, the days when he's not at a constant series of court cases) relating to the dispute, despite the fact the school's disciplinary process has concluded and he's been sacked. But Enoch doesn't accept the sacking obviously, and keeps turning up to work and getting arrested for trespassing. Enoch rejects this (obviously!) since he can't be accused of trespassing just for going to work. For anyone fancying a deeper dive I'd recommend more Belfast Telegraph podcast episodes (conveniently listed in chronological order), Enoch Burke: What is the Mayo evangelical Christian trying to achieve?, The Burkes: Mayo Christian family cause chaos in court and Enoch Burke claims 'judge laughed, mocked and ridiculed me' - controversial Christian's court travails

I had read about it, absolute nutter but he has people supporting him sadly. Someone said to me that he shouldn't be sacked for not believing in transgenderism, I simply said he is a teacher and his job is to be supportive of students. If you're going to go out of your way to upset the student then your a cunt and should be sacked. He didn't have to believe, he just didn't have to be a cunt.

35 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

There's a pub near Reading called The Black Boy. Imagine it.

Edit: well there was.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/19025504.shinfield-pub-black-boy-change-name-due-racist-connotations-said/

Another example of the wokearati winning!!! 😤😤😤

I used to go to a pub in Winchester called The Black Boy.  It's still there - https://www.theblackboypub.com  

I believe Bonnie Prince Charlie was known as "The Black Boy" and the pub was named after him.

Edited by Loki

24 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

Someone said to me that he shouldn't be sacked for not believing in transgenderism

That's not why he was sacked, although you could say the transgender row was the proximate cause of the sacking. He was sacked for gross misconduct for intimidating and harassing a colleague and breaching the confidence of a pupil, according to what was said to the high court. I'd go further and suggest that Enoch Burke's own behaviour while suspended was probably a contributory factor to his eventual sacking, since if you're suspended on full pay while an investigation is in progess (a standard step in a lot of disciplinary procedures) the absolute last thing you want to be doing is completely ignoring that fact you 've been suspended and keep trying to go into work.

Edited by Tamura

• Paid Members

He's clearly one of those shitheads who's trying to set himself up as some kind of martyr to all those morons out there craving the victimhood that justifies their shitty behaviour.

Yeah it was him interrupting a mass to go on a rant about transgenderism, then haranguing the principal, getting suspended pending an investigation, ignoring the suspension and getting served with a banning order, ignoring the banning order and constantly going on school grounds that got him sacked. But he got martyred for his beliefs in his and his supporters eyes. They’ve got a history of anti LGBT stuff in their family album

He’s like a golliwog racist getting banned on Facebook and saying it’s because of free speech, when in truth it was multiple violations of the rules. Like some posters on here, they do all they can to get banned so they can think they’re some kind of anti establishment freedom fighter when they’re really just a berk in stained underwear. 

• Paid Members

there's a Ye Olde Black Boy in Hull too. Apparently named after a Moroccan lad who worked there, so can't even plead innocent on Charles II grounds.

Seem to remember there being some dubious signage last time I was there.

57 minutes ago, Tamura said:

That's not why he was sacked, although you could say the transgender row was the proximate cause of the sacking. He was sacked for gross misconduct for intimidating and harassing a colleague and breaching the confidence of a pupil, according to what was said to the high court. I'd go further and suggest that Enoch Burke's own behaviour while suspended was probably a contributory factor to his eventual sacking, since if you're suspended on full pay while an investigation is in progess (a standard step in a lot of disciplinary procedures) the absolute last thing you want to be doing is completely ignoring that fact you 've been suspended and keep trying to go into work.

I didn't know about harassing a colleague, just aware he went out of his way to call a student him or he, knowing they didn't want to. I know he wasn't sacked for being anti trans but he's tried to spin it that way and people definitely believe him. The whole family are horrid cunts though, playing the victim just goes to show that. 

Pig Fucker Cameron is a great name for a pub. 

This won't interest anyone here because it's about a musical but fuck it. 

There's a production of Oklahoma that's on in London at the moment that's quite divisive for audiences. It's a bit revisionist, changing the perspective of what most people probably think of as a fairly harmless, nostalgic cowboy musical. I wonder if the audience response is partly because we're a little bit better on race, violence and community than the United States and so what its saying about those things don't quite have the same context. Someone behind me was unhappy about a very specific change that directly tackles some of themes. 

Edited by Vamp
Wanted to bore people by talking about a musical