Best And Worst Fandoms

Keith Houchen

As a huge black metal fan, you're spot on.

On the fringes of the genre you do have the loveliest people ever, there's some right good eggs who completely distance from the norm and I'm so glad to have met them. I've found with the most extreme forms of music you'll often find the most marginalized people there doing their own more interesting takes than some Norwegian dude could ever do.

2 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I met more outwardly racist nutjobs in the time I used to go to metal clubs with my uni housemates than at any other time in my life.   

Yep. For a bunch of fans who think they’re subversive and nonconformist, it’s more conservative than even Country. 

This video is perhaps the ultimate clash between black metal and regular people. 

As much as I like some of the music I distanced myself from the majority of the metal scene a long, long time ago, largely due to the promotion or tolerance of extreme right wing views within the scene. If only they'd bothered to listen to the lyrics of Nazi Punks Fuck Off (conveniently covered and repeatedly played live by Napalm Death) they might have learned that in the Fourth Reich they'd be very much the first to go into concentration camps and/or gas chambers. Hitler loved Wagner, if he'd heard those three dickheads in corpsepaint he'd probably have had them shot on the spot.

Edited by Tamura

Metal absolutely has a shitload of gatekeeper knobheads, but like with most other fandoms they’re the ones who just take “being a metal head” to the point of that actually being their identity far too seriously and probably are not representative of the fandom as a whole.

I’m not going to pretend that I didn’t go through the phase of thinking I was better than others because I didn’t just listen to the “mainstream” bands, I did and people will have been right in thinking that I was as an absolute arsehole because of it.

Nowadays I honestly couldn’t care less who anyone likes or listens to

• Paid Members

I'm gonna admit I'm a Elvis fan....but Elvis fans are just the worst. Try and be objective that he made some of the worst songs known to man and he made some awful movies (and a few decent ones too)...that he was a incredibly flawed man.he certainly groomed Pricilla, he had a major prescription drug problem and treated certain people like shit. But to them he was a saint didn't swear,smoke,Drink and everything was the managers and body guard fault. Mostly awful people

2 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Did he play much in the uk ?

He never played here. The only time he set foot on UK soil was when his plane landed in Scotland on his way back from military service. Although there is talk he went on a drunken night with Tommy Steel round London once. 

• Paid Members

It's probably a stretch but he recorded songs like. Petunia the Gardner's daughter and Yoga is as yoga does. He also had belters like In the Ghetto,Burning Love,Jailhouse Rock. To be fair in terms of drawing he would have sold out for months on end if he had come to the UK,JAPAN, AUSTRALIA ECT. it wasn't a lack of demand. And tho I don't blame him for everything Tom Parker was a illegal immigrant and wouldn't leave the USA. I think Elvis whatever you think of him deserves respect for how he changed music. Ask teenagers of the 50s it was like something from out of space for them. 

• Paid Members

Over the course of the pandemic, I've really gotten into watching and following eSports, in particular the Call of Duty League and it's safe to say the fanbases of the teams could give football fans a run for their money for toxicity. 

Make one incorrect comment, and they come down on you like a ton of bricks. Similarly with Twitch communities. Within the confines of a certain streamers community, it's usually jovial and friendly, but occasionally, communities will attack or 'raid' other communities and it gets very tribal.

Also, I want to echo the love for Bluey and the Bluey fanbases which have become a sort of safe space for Dads I have found and is just all round wholesome.