Strange school traditions

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Wretch said:

Whenever there was a scrap in the yard between two lads at our primary school, the rest of the school would circle around them and chant this bizarre fight song that went something like "A.G, A-G-R, A.G.R.O, R.O" which I'd only realised was the word aggro years after I finished up in that school. This would be sang on repeat until the fight was finished or one of the brothers broke it up. 

I actually chanted along to it as I ate my dinner. Haven't thought about it in...probably decades, but now I'm genuinely walking about the gaff chanting it and I even clenched my mickey in time with the chant when I was having a widdle. 

And, so you know you're not alone (GDPR, me bollix):

Screenshot_20220207-201601_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.12cfdae5cb537a44fe4d8aed4a8de1a2.jpg

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

And, so you know you're not alone (GDPR, me bollix):

Screenshot_20220207-201601_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.12cfdae5cb537a44fe4d8aed4a8de1a2.jpg

Ah, I'm Ballyer born and bred! Legit didn't know if it was just our school or a Dublin thing until right now. The memories have all come flooding back the more I think of it.

• Awards Moderator
9 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Once a year, in my primary school, we used to get eggs from a local farmer, which we reared in an incubator until they hatched. Whoever had the best attendance record in the senior classes got to name them (this could end up being more than one person, of course), and while I can see the teacher's logic in this, no one wanted to be seen as having the best attendance record, so it actually led to a lot of us pulling sickies so that we wouldn't win. 

Ironic username you have there. 

Absolutely delighted with Malbranque's mates' names. Mortmerian. 

My mate used to start science classes by turning on one of the taps for the sinks built into the desks, throwing everyones work books into it and shouting "ITS TRADITION" which was annoying at first, but after week three or so we all started getting really into and then had to be told off because this was year 9 so we were absolutely fucking up all the work we were doing for SATs which were impotant for determining what type of prison most of us would end up in

• Moderators

Bit racist but the old French books Route Nationale had someone called Oumou from Guadeloupe in them.

We learnt fuck all about French former nations but every time skyed one at breaktime

OOOOOOOOOOUMOOOOOOOOOOOO

Edited by PowerButchi

Some daft cunt at Primary school (daft cunt being me) devised the game shit stick tig.

All that was needed was dog shite, a stick and willing participants.

The only rules were that you couldn't throw the stick and that head shots were banned.

The game lasted about a week before so many parents kicked up fuck that it was forbidden.

Social Dancing was horrific.

The school bus heirachy was always a big tradition in my school. Being from a village 6 miles from school we had private coaches intake the kids in and out. Year 11 always had the right to the back seat and 2 or 3 rows in front followed by year 10 then it got more mixed with only the year 7s cowering at the front. When the gcse's were over the year 11s fucked off and everyone moved up a bit. You then typically had a 2 week period or work experience when year 10 were gone too and the back should belong to year 9. Except when we were that age some year 8s tested their luck and stole the seats. That was until the next day when a fairly unhinged kid gave one a good punch accross the jaw and threatened the rest with a screwdriver. 

By the time we were in year 11 though we were all mates again and the tradition had been long forgotten as most in the top two years were mates or having gropey relations with someone in the year above/below so it quickly went away. 

On a side note a few colleagues of mine have told me in Korea there's a school tradition of the boys 'testing' a teacher by making a gun sign with their fingers, sneaking up behind the teacher and poking them up their arse.im not sure if this is foreign teacher hazing or a general 'tradition'.

My primary school had a year end award ceremony. As well as the usual sports stuff and the odd maths competition, each class had three awards to give out. These were general excellence, progress and effort and diligence. Given the way it worked out they may as well have called them bright kid, done better than we expected and no chance for this one. 

Some of the parents, mainly mums, used to get really hyped up about it and it became a bit tense at times if two friends were both in with a shout of winning general excellence. 

On 2/7/2022 at 10:51 PM, Onyx2 said:

Ironic username you have there. 

Funnily enough, my username originates from a childhood memory too! 

When I was a child, I wasn't allowed to watch wrestling, but I really wanted a Hulk Hogan toy. No way in hell was my mum going to buy me that, though. 

I was at a friend's birthday party - and his mum had a bag full of prizes that you could select if you won one of the party games. Inside it, I noticed, was a Hulk Hogan toy. 

I was going to win that fucking toy, and I was determined to win the first game - musical chairs - to ensure that I did. 

By some miracle, I won the game. When his mum asked me what prize I wanted, I said "the wrestling one!" 

She went into the bag, and pulled out...a Red Rooster figurine. 

I didn't win another game, and another boy won the Hogan doll.

Going forward, I would insist to my friends that my Rooster was actually a toy of Hulk Hogan when he was younger, and weirdly, no one disputed that. 

I just remembered that my secondary school used to have an annual "charity day" which involved no lessons and a day full of various activities and fund raising. Some things were quite decent that you could sign up for like helping out at an old people's home or making cakes for something charity related while others were quite shit and either time killers (Christmas card making comes to mind) or pretty much slave labour.

This includes tidying up the local vicarage garden which was a massive private fucking grounds. I remember the posh wanker dictating that we really had to focus on getting all the leaves and stuff off his private tennis court. Thinking back now it makes me kind of angry how none of us questioned the charity element. 

The main attraction of the day was the talent show which involved a number of dances, band performances and other dreadful things. It was actually considered a big deal but I can't remember many specific performances outside of the time we danced in drag mambo 95. A number of the more geeky kids trying to do the funny walk Monty python sketch and the only thing saving them from a proper booing was that a kid had a fit on the floor. Oh and a band I was friendly with but we're shite deciding to play in the aisle and getting into a fist fight with a chav in the year below.

Now I write about it I'm genuinely surprised it took them until 2002 to can the whole thing.

I have memories of some things from high school that I struggle to believe even though I saw them with my own eyes. 

This would have been in about 98/99. At the time, my maths class was on the 3rd floor of an old building with pretty high ceilings. In other words, it was rather high up. Our teacher used to assign us some work and then saunter off to the staff room to skive off for a bit. When this happened, the 'hard' kids would grab someone and literally dangle them by their legs out of the window and laugh hysterically as the poor guy begged for his life. Genuinely amazing that nobody was killed.

Around the same time period, our PE teacher used to set up the gym for "gymnastics". He would basically drag out a couple of trampettes, some crash mats and set up the wall bars and then fuck off for a smoke. For some reason he thought leaving a bunch of boys unattended in this era DURING A BOOM PERIOD~! would be fine. Can vividly remember a lad going for a beautiful D'Lo style frog splash off the bars and someone moving the mat out of the way so that he ate shit on the landing. 

It was always a thing in my school that the leavers would bring in eggs to throw at people on their final day. I can remember this escalating over time and you were lucky if you were just pelted with an egg. By the time I left people were bringing in eggs but also throwing pint cartons of milk at people and covering them in flour. 

We also had not one but two bomb scares between 98 and 04. Both times the "suspicious package" ended up being books being delivered to the library.