AEW to WWE, who should go the other way

Sheffbag

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

WWE hasn’t been this “not arsed” about the women since before Evolution. Push Charlotte, Becky draws, the rest is a total afterthought. They’ve let so many go despite being in a position now where we don’t know where they’re getting 30 from for the Rumble, the divisions are being stripped back rather than a focus for recruitment.

Fair point, I completely forgot about their monthly roster purges, not to mention the alleged directive to only sign young women that fit their narrow definition of "attractive". 

Edited by RedRooster

Wardlow is a big dude. But he's also not. The reason we see him more asva big dude isn't because AEW books smaller guys. It's because they've booked Wardlow to BE and feel act like a bigger dude. 

We all know Billy Gunn is bigger, but he wouldn't beat him. Perception. 

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Chili said:

Wardlow is a big dude. But he's also not. The reason we see him more asva big dude isn't because AEW books smaller guys. It's because they've booked Wardlow to BE and feel act like a bigger dude. 

We all know Billy Gunn is bigger, but he wouldn't beat him. Perception. 

I wouldn't want to see him in the ring with Hobbs either. 

• Paid Members

You'd have to be a complete sadist to make the jump from AEW to WWE at this stage. Unless you had an absolutely raging erectionem to tick a potential Wrestlemania moment off of your bucket list, going to WWE gives you - 

- Less job security.
- A more punishing schedule.
- In addition to the above, increased travel mileage/more time away from home. 
- Less creative freedom.
- Less talented roster/performers to work with (subjective depending on your tastes). 

The only viable reason would be an enormous wad of cash that dwarfs your existing salary, in which case I'd understand why people would take the risk, bank the coin while they can and negate some of the creative freedom and potential quality of matches they could have should they stay. But for me, the logistics around travel and just general job security would be enough to make me knock it for the sake of my own sanity. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

Or you’re a total fucking mark for the business and need to get to “the show” and be on WrestleMania to consider yourself a success.

Plenty of them have thought over the years that they'd be the ones to be the exception to the rule. That they'd succeed and break through and usher in change. So while it seems pretty clear cut that going to WWE is career suicide, there's obviously a belief there in a lot of people that they could buck the trend. So it definitely wouldn't surprise me if things get too overcrowded in AEW that someone might end up over there. They'll probably get released after a week and it'll be a lesson learnt but I think there's always going to be a certain amount of "well it wont happen to me!".

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Plenty of them have thought over the years that they'd be the ones to be the exception to the rule. That they'd succeed and break through and usher in change. So while it seems pretty clear cut that going to WWE is career suicide, there's obviously a belief there in a lot of people that they could buck the trend. So it definitely wouldn't surprise me if things get too overcrowded in AEW that someone might end up over there. They'll probably get released after a week and it'll be a lesson learnt but I think there's always going to be a certain amount of "well it wont happen to me!".

Absolutely, I think that's human nature. The big difference pre-2019 was that the more financially lucrative option was harder to come by (as it had been since WCW packed in). Another big difference is that while WWE (or wrestling at large) can never claim to be squeaky clean, WWE's serial shithousing has ramped up considerably in that timeframe. The cuts alone have been absolutely abhorrent. The appeal that perhaps NXT once carried has now been completely dismantled. Overall it's just becoming a far less appealing place to work, to the point where WWE releases are now seen almost as blessings in disguise for the personnel involved. The evidence is stacking up that WWE isn't the holy grail of a destination that it used to be. I'd genuinely rather 'go freelance' on the independents and try to crack the likes of Japan rather than burn myself out with the anxiety and stress that place would probably cause. 

On 1/14/2022 at 2:16 PM, air_raid said:

Or you’re a total fucking mark for the business and need to get to “the show” and be on WrestleMania to consider yourself a success.

Or they offer you a really fat contract.  I'd imagine there's a pretty huge disparity in AEW between the "originals" and the more recent WWE  imports.  Someone like MJF could probably make a lot more money in WWE unless he's recently re-negotiated his contract.

I don't think many of the male roster would have much to offer WWE to be honest.  From the women's roster I could possibly see someone like Thunder Rosa doing well, but let's be honest she'd be in NXT.

For me, the more interesting question is - who will be the first person to jump back?  You've got far too many big egos at the top of the roster now - and some of them might feel they're getting lost in the mix.  I suspect Jericho has one more WWE run in him, possibly tying into a Hall Of Fame induction.  And left-field, but there is a LOT of money in John Moxley going back to WWE, and he's now been many times replaced as the "omg they signed x from WWE" attraction.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

For me, the more interesting question is - who will be the first person to jump back?  You've got far too many big egos at the top of the roster now - and some of them might feel they're getting lost in the mix.  I suspect Jericho has one more WWE run in him, possibly tying into a Hall Of Fame induction.  And left-field, but there is a LOT of money in John Moxley going back to WWE, and he's now been many times replaced as the "omg they signed x from WWE" attraction.

I don't think Jericho necessarily needs to go back to them in a full-time role, or even an exclusive deal with them under the terms of one of those legends contracts where he only appears part-time. Having already done the podcast with Austin, I can see him making more sporadic appearances with them in the future even while still under contract to AEW. Even with a monster cash offering, he'd still want the scheduling freedom to work on his other projects. A Jericho HOF induction is something I don't think AEW would stand in the way of, so he's certainly a special case. 

As for Moxley, not a chance he jumps back over to them in the near future, even if they broke the bank for him. He felt too creatively stifled and burnt out - AEW have also been extremely good to him in helping him with his rehab. Not that WWE wouldn't necessarily help him in that regard, but there are too many other factors working against it. I don't think he's bothered about more people coming into the company since he joined - he doesn't strike me as that sort of type. 

Mox is just as happy doing bingo halls for GCW as he is doing AEW arenas. He doesn’t need the money and seemed to proper hate wwe. Unless he is fucked financially, he seems very happy away from wwe

I've not read Moxley's book, but wasn't he basically leaving anyway? One foot out the door with the idea of Japan + whatever might take his fancy. Since signing with AEW he's worked plenty of indies.

He probably would have turned up in the UK/Europe by now if it hadn't been for COVID and AEW probably wanting to get their first big UK show(s) out the way.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Weren't WWE shit to Renee as well on the way out with the no compete clause for a year or something?

I don’t know if they done that to Renee, but she had Tom Phillips on her podcast recently and he had a no compete for a year. But he didn’t want to say how he got out of it as he just showed up at Impact, just that he was thankful to WWE. 

• Paid Members

Look at the no compete they stuck Lesnar with when he left in 2004. They're not averse to trying to screw somebody over on their way out. 

I wonder why they were so concerned about Wilson Phillips finding work elsewhere so shortly afterwards. He strikes me as a consummate professional.