AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

9 hours ago, Dai said:

I dip in and out of AEW. I watched this week, and a few days ago stumbled on some James Elsworth clips. It's not even an exaggeration to say that Adam Cole and James Elsworth's physiques are almost identical. His back and arms are distractingly bad. Surely the worst physique of someone in his position in the last 30 years? 

I find the obsession with Adam Cole's physique absolutely baffling. Clearly, he doesn't have the worst physique of "someone in his position in the last 30 years", nor is he out of shape. I'm far from his biggest fan, but his body hardly sets him apart from anyone else in AEW. 

• Paid Members

Cody's promo was horrendous. Did practically everything but put over the match he's trying to sell, or the story leading into it. If the story is that he's going to lose because he's stretched himself too thin with all his other commitments, and he's not focused on the match, great. But it's probably not that, it's probably Cody having zero filter so every idea he has doesn't get jotted down for later, it all gets blurted out in his next promo or booked into his next match regardless of whether it makes any sense. 

• Paid Members

That’s what frustrates me about this episode. Things are improving over the last month or so. It felt more focussed, with Tony seemingly remembering to - you know - book some matches people actually care about and not just superstars being taken to their limit~! by jobbers.

This show definitely highlighted where he still needs to wrestle back some control though. Giving everyone freedom to come up with their own stuff sounds like a great idea, and at one end of the spectrum you’ll have lads like Moxley pouring their heart out to gripped, dramatic silence, but then at the other end of the spectrum you’ve got dickheads like Cody forgetting what the entire point of a promo even is, ignoring everything happening around him, absolutely dying out there, heckled and being laughed at, saying whatever he thinks might get a cheap pop.

Their first one-on-one ladder match, to unify their secondary title. This should be a huge match, with a simple story to hype up. And yet, look at the shit this absolute melt is spouting.

91888251-B3D0-41A4-840D-A807AF1BBF30.thumb.jpeg.1f9e1985b2e3045abad19be275b06015.jpeg

“Remember Brodie Lee? What were all that about?!”

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I find the obsession with Adam Cole's physique absolutely baffling. Clearly, he doesn't have the worst physique of "someone in his position in the last 30 years", nor is he out of shape. I'm far from his biggest fan, but his body hardly sets him apart from anyone else in AEW. 

Clearly? Care to give some examples of top line talent in the top companies who have looked worse/less threatening? 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Supremo said:

“Remember Brodie Lee? What were all that about?!”

I was genuinely angry at that part. Brody King has just debuted, in kayfabe terms Brody is just his name, and he should be taken seriously as a threat, yet you've got one of the companies top stars coming out and basically risking cutting him off at the knees on day one by comparing him unfavourably to Brodie Lee? Why would anyone think that's an appropriate thing to say in a promo that, crucially, had fuck all to do with him in the first place?

9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I was genuinely angry at that part. Brody King has just debuted, in kayfabe terms Brody is just his name, and he should be taken seriously as a threat, yet you've got one of the companies top stars coming out and basically risking cutting him off at the knees on day one by comparing him unfavourably to Brodie Lee? Why would anyone think that's an appropriate thing to say in a promo that, crucially, had fuck all to do with him in the first place?

I didn't see anything he said about Brody King as being unfavourable. He hyped him up and even said he had balls for keeping his name knowing what Brodie means in AEW.

24 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

I didn't see anything he said about Brody King as being unfavourable. He hyped him up and even said he had balls for keeping his name knowing what Brodie means in AEW.

It was weird. Imagine my name was Dave and I started at a new company that previously employed another dude called Dave who everybody loved and on my first day the MD is like "you got some balls being named Dave, you know that?" It's weird.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

But why is he even talking about Brody King? Surely the point of the promo should be to hype and build anticipation for the ladder match?

Cody mentioned CM Punk, the pipe bomb, the Young Bucks, WALTER/GUNTER, Malakai Black, Jay Lethal, the Forbidden Door, New Japan Pro Wrestling, turning heel, his contract, Brody King, Brodie Lee, Brodie Lee Jnr, NXT, Tony Khan starting AEW and Ring Of Honor all in one promo. WHY?? What the fuck does any of that have to do with literally anything? And at the start he said "I've been saving this promo but don't know if I'll get another chance to do it"...but he didn't even say anything! He didn't make any real points whatsoever. Was this supposed to be his pipe bomb? Why couldn't he just have put over Sammy Geuvara, the TNT title and the ladder match?

The worst part is knowing that he was probably patting himself on the back afterwards, thinking he had absolutely nailed it when he basically just rambled about fuck all and failed to actually put over the upcoming ladder match. I genuinely don't understand how his brain works.

Edited by LaGoosh

Adam Cole makes short order cook era Punk look like Billy Gunn. If you can’t see he’s small and non threatening then I dunno what you see when you look at him. I get some guys can’t put on mass, but there’s no excuse for not being chiselled when your job is to look threatening in trunks 

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

It was weird. Imagine my name was Dave and I started at a new company that previously employed another dude called Dave who everybody loved and on my first day the MD is like "you got some balls being named Dave, you know that?" It's weird.

You just described WWF in the attitude era with new signees like Shane Helms and Steve Regal 

• Paid Members

I thought that was a pretty good episode. Great opener from Mox, the Punk/MJF stuff was good, I enjoyed Trent being nice to Brandon, the mixed tag was fun and the main event was Sting being great - plenty of good stuff. Didn't much care for Archer's match, but Cody's promo was fine for me - for all he's saying he's not going to turn heel, it felt heelish and I liked him basically establishing his own importance. I wouldn't be surprised if he's buggering off for a little bit, and this was just setting up future storylines. From being the guy who doesn't interact with the rest of the company, this was a turnaround - might not work, but it kept me interested. I genuinely liked the point about him doing all the stuff Punk talked about doing.

1 hour ago, Dai said:

Clearly? Care to give some examples of top line talent in the top companies who have looked worse/less threatening? 

26 minutes ago, Louch said:

Adam Cole makes short order cook era Punk look like Billy Gunn. If you can’t see he’s small and non threatening then I dunno what you see when you look at him.

The conversation about whether or not he looks threatening is a completely different one to whether or not he's out-of-shape. Not every wrestler has to look "threatening", and indeed, most don't. Cole's character isn't that of an ass-kicker, so he doesn't have to look like one. That said, I don't think there's a person on this forum who wouldn't run in the opposite direction if he was coming at you, ready to beat you up. 

In terms of who looks worse? That's entirely subjective, and it's not something I typically notice. But if you're going by size, Darby Allin is far smaller, and he looks pretty generic without the make-up. Jeff Hardy is hardly build like a brick shithouse, and Kevin Owens doesn't look like your stereotypical wrestler; not that he has to. 

Ultimately, the conversation about how Cole looks, as far as I can tell, doesn't appear to exist outside of this forum; and I think that in itself says something. It could be that he looks just fine, or it could be that nobody cares. Whatever the case, it does suggest that it doesn't really matter. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

But why is he even talking about Brody King? Surely the point of the promo should be to hype and build anticipation for the ladder match?

Cody mentioned CM Punk, the pipe bomb, the Young Bucks, WALTER/GUNTER, Malakai Black, Jay Lethal, the Forbidden Door, New Japan Pro Wrestling, turning heel, his contract, Brody King, Brodie Lee, Brodie Lee Jnr, NXT, Tony Khan starting AEW and Ring Of Honor all in one promo. WHY?? What the fuck does any of that have to do with literally anything? And at the start he said "I've been saving this promo but don't know if I'll get another chance to do it"...but he didn't even say anything! He didn't make any real points whatsoever. Was this supposed to be his pipe bomb? Why couldn't he just have put over Sammy Geuvara, the TNT title and the ladder match?

The worst part is knowing that he was probably patting himself on the back afterwards, thinking he had absolutely nailed it when he basically just rambled about fuck all and failed to actually put over the upcoming ladder match. I genuinely don't understand how his brain works.

Yes. Part of Cody's problem is its like he's writing his stuff like a 10 year old. He's figured out what the cool things are, but he doesn't know when to use them. It's the same with the flaming table spot, Brandi flipping off Malachi, even his entrance. Especially trying to be Shawn Michaels at mania 10 with Sammy. They're all cool good things in the right place, but this ain't it.