AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Meltzer said even before this show that they apparently have a plan for it, which likely means Triple H has a smug comeback ready to go that he's going to pretend was off-the-cuff. 

"I scissor a lot of things, but Daddy isn't one of them.... wait, did I say that?"

30 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

But all the wrestlers had an element of fear about Vince because they knew he was running things his way. He could get rid of them in a heartbeat, the sociopathic bastard. Nobody is scared of Tony Sniff, the boys know how much they can take advantage of him. 

Yes, nobody ever had a fight backstage in Vince's company. Or broke the law while in Vince's company. Or sexually assaulted minors while in Vince's company. Or physically assaulted Vince himself over a payoff in Vince's company. Or went on TV while on drugs and in no condition to perform in Vince's company. Or got fined for doing stuff on the air that they weren't supposed to in Vince's company.

That fear, boy it sure cured all.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Yes, nobody ever had a fight backstage in Vince's company. Or broke the law while in Vince's company. Or sexually assaulted minors while in Vince's company. Or physically assaulted Vince himself over a payoff in Vince's company. Or went on TV while on drugs and in no condition to perform in Vince's company. Or got fined for doing stuff on the air that they weren't supposed to in Vince's company.

Someone asked the question on twitter, is this a change in the industry or is this down to social media meaning this type of news spreads. And someone replied it must be new because it never happened in the 80's or 90's WWF. He was soon corrected. 

WWF wasn't run better. Vince still had plenty of his boys who were allowed to take the piss over and over, and those he would fire because they annoyed him in the heat of the moment. AEW contracts seem to be different to WWF in terms of termination which is why there haven't been mass firings, just people not having contracts removed.

Pointing out Tony was at Sammy and Tay's wedding is dumb. 1) why wouldn't the boss of come to a wedding where two of his co-workers got married? 2) Loads of AEW wrestlers were there, in fact, WWE wrestlers were there too, including Cody. And why not?

• Paid Members

I can't remember a time in AEW where people weren't complaining that the shows are lacking what made it special a while before. During the Daily's Place era, I remember a lot of people complaining that the shows were aimless, overly-long from a workrate POV, and lacked the excitement that had been building up before it. 

Part of it is that we tend to remember the good stuff and skip over the bad or boring - or think about the blow-offs to feuds rather than the lacklustre build. And let's not forget how many times it seemed like they'd utterly squandered the Hangman/Omega feud.

As it is, it feels like things like the Swerve in our Glory/Acclaimed feud, Jericho as ROH champ, Wardlow TNT run, Jade Cargill (plus slow-burn Jaymie Hayter build) and a few other things will be the things we're looking back at in a year's time complaining that the show no longer knows what it's doing.

1 minute ago, Chris B said:

Jade Cargill

This was the one change in booking I was thrown by as watching Dynamite I quickly figured out something happened with Andrade to change his match.

Looked like Jade v. Nyla Rose was being set up last week. Now Willow's getting another shot. Maybe they're still going down that route. Just felt off to me throwing in another title challenger. As I know Nyla was targeted by the usual transphobes when given something prominent to do.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Yeah but this is way worse because Tony Sniff or something?

To be fair, if I worked with Sammy Guevara I'd punch him at some point. He has one of the most punchable faces on Earth.

I think the fact that Tony Khan is working a second job while at a TV taping basically completely answers any questions about issues the company has. Fucking mental. 

Edited by LaGoosh

9 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I can't remember a time in AEW where people weren't complaining that the shows are lacking what made it special a while before. During the Daily's Place era, I remember a lot of people complaining that the shows were aimless, overly-long from a workrate POV, and lacked the excitement that had been building up before it. 

This might be true on social media, but it certainly wasn't true on here. People were absolutely loving AEW back then, and up until the ROH purchase, I'd say the tone in the AEW thread was almost universally positive, bar the odd blip where they aired a duff episode. But the pandemic era really did bring with it an absolute load of creativity - you had the MJF/Chris Jericho steak dinner;' the entire run of Brodie Lee - from his debut in an empty arena, to his brilliant squash win over Brodie, to the outstanding tribute show aired in his honour; Stadium Stampede; the Hangman Page/Omega/Bucks storyline; Trent's mother; Jon Moxley's first title run - there was so much good in what they were doing. It was such a fun show. 

Were there missteps? Of course - Miro's initial gimmick and Brodie Lee as Vince McMahon. But they generally corrected course, and the good was so enjoyable that it was easy to overlook the bad stuff. Right now, even if you ignore the air of toxicity that is surrounding the company, the balance is weighted in the other direction. There are good aspects to the show but for me, and seemingly a lot of other people, the booking on the whole has been pretty weak. 

• Paid Members

During the pandemic they would film 2 episodes at once with a fortnight between tapings. I know that's probably not possible now but I think the two week break between tapings gave them more time to plan stuff properly and course correct if stuff wasn't working.

In good news: Takeshita is coming back in a few weeks. Give me a best of 7 series with Bandido please.

Edited by LaGoosh

58 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

And all of them knew Vince would sack them on a whim, he was the one with the power and they all knew it, that’s what the fear is I’m talking about, not the culture that Vince enabled and endorsed. They couldn’t take advantage of him professionally whereas they can and do take advantage of TK wholesale. That’s the difference, Vince was the boss and they all knew it

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And all of them knew Vince would sack them on a whim, he was the one with the power and they all knew it, that’s what the fear is I’m talking about, not the culture that Vince enabled and endorsed. They couldn’t take advantage of him professionally whereas they can and do take advantage of TK wholesale. That’s the difference, Vince was the boss and they all knew it

Which incidences of wrestlers taking advantage of Tony Khan without repercussion are you referring to?

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

But the pandemic era really did bring with it an absolute load of creativity - you had the MJF/Chris Jericho steak dinner;

Kind of goes into the remembering the good things and forgetting the bad.

How many in ring meetings before and after this about MJF being asked to join the Innner Circle, thinking about joining the Inner Circle, the fallout from joining the Inner Circle?

I remember there was a clown and the special jackets that Sammy didn't get. The town hall meeting where Bischoff made one of his appearances. One of those or another one is what led to the steak dinner invite.

I love Mox but I can't help thinking that AEW needs the belt on MJF and fast. Make the show around him, the guys a star.

Fuck Andrade and Sammy off out of AEW. Wouldn't miss either and one of them seems to constantly be in trouble.

Bar that, enjoyable AEW. It does bring into focus that the company is only 3 years old. Its going through a difficult period, but its nice to have another wrestling company that keeps everyone talking, even if it is madness going backstage.

• Paid Members

Anyone who moans or causes any trouble going forward, immediately release them and just add their salary to whatever Swerve Strickland is making. That lad should be at the top of the card and rolling in money.

Do we know if any negotiations took place about maybe getting Billy Gunn on Raw this Monday? I’d have allowed it if I was Tony Khan. A real chance of that being this year’s Jericho-on-Stone-Cold’s-podcast own goal for WWE.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Apparently (not sure how true) that Tony has threatened to sue if there are any mentions of Billy Gunn or if he's shown in any video packages, which is why he's been edited out of the videos they have been showing.