AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

Jericho/Garcia vs FTR with or even without all the belts on the line?

That seemed to be hinted at at the end of the last ROH PPV before Claudio and Wheeler lost their respective belts.

Edit: My phone keeps auto changing Garcia to Garlic and the thought of Daniel Garlic has really tickled me. 

Edited by rollthedice

I loved the main event and have no real argument with the outcome. I felt they did the match a disservice with how many times they cut to show MIF in the crowd. The crowd I felt did something that you very rarely see. They watched the match. They were invested in it. It made for a strange atmosphere from the usual you get watching AEW.

• Paid Members

I hope that contract of Sarayas has a 14 day cancellation policy, yikes. It seems weekly now that clips such as this follow Dynamite or Rampage. I get it, things and mistakes happen, but who the fuck is policing these spots?

I'm not sure if it's because the wrestlers have been wrestling the WWE way for so long, that when they are no longer under the road agents, they think they're invincible or what. 
Edited by Nick James

9 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Saraya's signing (presumably to wrestle) shows that either WWE's doctors are too strict or AEW's doctors are too lenient.

I hope for her sake it's the former. 

Lest we forget, Flair spoke to 40 doctors before his last match...39 noes and one yes is still a yes.

Something definitely felt flat about the show. More an RBI double than the Grand Slam. Good to see the Acclaimed get the straps, but to immediately have FTR interrupted by the Gunns was a mistake. Keep FTR out of it (tie them up with other defences til later), and let Daddy Ass's boys have a small run with the straps and feud with the Gunns for a bit.

Jericho winning the ROH belt has to be a business decision. Honor Club, or TV must be coming. 

Again the women's match just didn't click for me. Even putting Athena trying to crush Britt's head to the side, Toni et al have hardly moved the needle and at this point the belt is less being kept warm, and more like stuffed in a Tupperware box in the back of the fridge. I don't think Saraya will buck that trend.

So Mox gets his holiday sometime over Christmas after he drops the title to Maxwell. I'm pissed they cut to black so soon after the match, just as Bryan had pulled the title away. Another minute or so would have been perfect, either for a Regal telling off, or a grudging sibling-esque handshake. 

• Awards Moderator
6 hours ago, Chili said:

Also, DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TOUCH TONY SCHIAVONE. 

This all day. What a BASTARD. How dare he!

Speaking of bastards, I loved PAC vs Orange. The match itself was fairly straightforward but the two of them had clearly defined roles and characters, and they both played them to perfection. Really good stuff.

Enjoyed the main event a lot too. I’d have liked a Danielson win, but I can understand Mox winning. Feels like a regretful “we should never have had you lose it last month, sorry about that, now let’s pretend it never happened” kind of deal.

• Paid Members

I expected Danielson to win, so I'm pretty pleased at Moxley getting the nod here. It was a good match too, particularly the closing stretch. The title has been hot potatoed too much recently, and part of the problem is before that settles, we know it's going to MJF very soon. So in that case I think Danielson getting it would have only added to that clusterfuck. Let Danielson brood over the loss, when Mox takes a break Bryan can assume the lead role in the BCC and then Moxley comes back for the power struggle. That'll do me. 

Glad The Acclaimed got the win here. They can't face FTR right away for their sake though, as realistically, FTR should have already been the champs months and months ago. Dax has been injured but still working singles, so get him and Cash back working tag matches to help him out a bit, defending the titles they already have, and then have the two teams on a collision course for the start of the New Year or something. 

There are way, way too many belts though, with ROH being a big part of that. The Garcia/Jericho mention from above, I'd go with that as a unification bout. I'd also Unify the TBS and Women's World belt and just call it the TBS World Championship. If Khan doesn't get a TV deal for ROH, make Battle of the Belts a ROH quarterly special plus the PPV's, with Dark Elevation becoming their weekly show. 

6 hours ago, RedRooster said:

What’s the last truly great storyline that AEW ran? Punk/MJF, perhaps? After Revolution, it feels like AEW went on a sharp decline, then after Double or Nothing, it feels like they completely lost their competence in telling stories. It’s such a shame.

Hookhausen. 

10 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Speaking of bastards, I loved PAC vs Orange. The match itself was fairly straightforward but the two of them had clearly defined roles and characters, and they both played them to perfection. Really good stuff.

I actually skipped this match entirely. I just didn’t care. It was a very unusual situation for me where the title actually took away from my interest in the match. I doubt Khan will do it, but AEW would be so much better off if they just unified titles en masse. If every feud revolves around a title, there’s little diversity in storytelling.

• Awards Moderator
12 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I actually skipped this match entirely. I just didn’t care. It was a very unusual situation for me where the title actually took away from my interest in the match. I doubt Khan will do it, but AEW would be so much better off if they just unified titles en masse. If every feud revolves around a title, there’s little diversity in storytelling.

I’d go back and check it out. The title aspect has no interest to me, but PAC’s never been a grumpier bastard and it’s beautiful.

• Paid Members

It was the best worst or worst best show I can remember seeing. All the components of a great show were there but as others have said there was something really flat about the whole affair.

Thought the arena looked big time. If they really only had 12,000 people in there they did a great job of making it looked packed.

Jericho winning the ROH Title ended up being the best thing on the show. I didn’t see it coming at all but then when Garcia came out to celebrate looking so glum I realised how obvious a direction it was. I assume they fight at Full Gear, with Garcia fighting to defend team workrate. Jericho vs. Garcia is probably the best storyline they’ve got going today.

The Acclaimed winning was a nice moment, just a shame the match was a bit of a mess, which didn’t hold a candle to their PPV outing. What the fuck happened midway through when Caster sold the leg rather than land the elbow drop? You could feel the air get sucked out of the room and they never truly got it back. Plus, whilst The Acclaimed winning felt like the right decision at the PPV, Swerve Strickland has turned into such a phenomenal heel since then that I’d have been tempted to call an audible the other way here, keeping the belts on this wonderful prick. Hopefully big things planned for Swerve.

Similar to the Tag Title match, there was just something a bit sad watching PAC and Cassidy have a match nowhere near as good as their previous one.

Tony Schiavone took the bump of the year. No idea how much was a work and how much was just an uncoordinated old man hitting the deck, but for a fleeting moment that was some real heat. Fuck you, Max! Do not touch Uncle Tone! Is that the first time Tony has been physical in AEW? Felt like a huge deal.

Big Cass coming out to help MJF literally days since they said The Firm would likely never be seen with MJF again was the perfect example of how messy and unfocused this company has become.

Good for Saraya. That was a huge pop. Let’s hope if she does wrestle she ends up more like Sting and less like Jeff Hardy. Not really relevant, but I’ve read some awful stories about her current partner today! She sure can pick them!

Danielson should have won the main event. I get the idea of putting the belt back on Moxley as an apology for ever taking it off him in the first place, and you can’t really argue with putting the World Title on the best wrestler in the business today, but this company badly needs a fresh direction where we  completely draw a line under the past six months, all agreeing to pretend CM Punk’s run was a collective fever dream. Going back to Mox, to once again likely act as a paper champion before MJF wins it, just feels like more of the same. I would’ve put the belt on Danielson and ended the show with Omega coming out, playing on the symmetry of last year and reminding people of when this company had momentum.

Edited by Supremo