AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

I don't mind the tournament. Mox lost he wasn't the champion and two weeks of having 2 guys without the title talk about becoming the real world champion is poor. Also just reminds everyone of the controversy and gaping hole left by the suspensions.

I feel sorry that the likes of Hangman v. Danielson was just tossed out there with no build and Mox missing his time off after carrying the company all summer.

We get Danielson v. Jericho again which may well have been in the plans anyway. Sammy & Darby could be a decent sprint. Mox v. the winner will be entertaining. Then fingers crossed for Danielson v. Mox II at Grand Slam and a split in the BCC. They don't need Claudio, Mox, and Danielson all in the one group right now.

• Paid Members
Just now, Supremo said:

It’s a positive that they’ve put top guys in the tournament. Between this and the Trios Tournament it’s been nice that you can’t instantly know who’s winning based on the brackets.

Another problem that would have been best solved by doing a huge, roster-wide, proper Royal Rumble though. Filled with all the top guys, I’d much prefer that over another tournament.

I get it, but it is a 5 match tournament. The final is in 13 days. It isn't like the Owen Hart Memorial Tournament that went on for what felt like months. 

• Paid Members

I'm definitely fed up of tournaments but you have to give them a bit of leeway here, they've had to re-write everything on very short notice and have a huge show coming up. I like the logic of all the competitors being former Champions, it's a nice touch.

Another great showing for Wardlow here. He needs a feud with a big hoss and he needs it now. Throw Brody King or Miro at him!

2 minutes ago, Doog said:

Even if it was just a made up storyline explanation I'd have at least tried fo explain to the viewers why they're suddenly not there.

Someone with better knowledge of the American legal system will have better insight than me, but depending on what's happening from a legal perspective, I'm not sure that's even possible. You know that phrase "anything you say can be used against you in a court of law"? It's true in most contexts. It's safer to say as little as you can, than to say something that a lawyer could use against the company, if it ever comes to that.

12 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I get it, but it is a 5 match tournament. The final is in 13 days. It isn't like the Owen Hart Memorial Tournament that went on for what felt like months. 

It's kind of predictable, though, that's the thing. I agree that a Rumble format would have been more entertaining, whether it took place at Arthur Ashe, or tonight. I'd have been interested to see them take a completely different direction, even if it was short-term, leading to MJF taking the title at Arthur Ashe - what a moment it would have been, for example, if Sting had won a Rumble format, creating a really interesting match for Arthur Ashe; or even Miro, who deserves something for his time. Heck, they could have had Wardlow win the title, leading to MJF/Wardlow 2. I'm not saying what they did was wrong, and they may well have a great plan going forward - but sometimes it's nice to do something surprising. 

Solid show. There were a few little hints to the controversy (Mox's I was supposed to be on vacation line was amusing) but at the moment not mentioning it was the right thing. It isn't a storyline and it might not even go anywhere long term if all guys are gone so what's the point?

Mox is the man and I quite like seeing him and MJF interact. It felt different.

I imagine we're getting Bryan V Mox at Arthur Ashe (we better) and that will be a barnstormer. Bryan needs the title now. They need a proper fucking champion who feels like a star (cough Hangman) and isn't an embarrassment to the company. I would love Mox as well but feels like he's owed some time off so doubt he'll win it.

Obviously the sooner the whole fucking mess is cleared up the better. It is a stink they just don't need

• Paid Members

JR taken off comms for this week is a genius idea. If someone was going to say something that could get them in trouble while a legal investigation is ongoing, it would definitely be JR, either that or he would kickstart Backstage Brawl 2. 

EDIT: I'm going to lose it completely when Regal inevitably says 'Man with the mask, what a smashing blouse you have on'. 

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members
Just now, Nick James said:

JR taken off comms for this week is a genius idea. If someone was going to say something that could get them in trouble while a legal investigation is ongoing, it would definitely be JR, either that or he would kickstart Backstage Brawl 2. 

I’d prefer it if he never came back. Watching the blistering Trios Tournament final from the pay per view again last night I realised a huge contributing factor for why I loved it so much was because Ross wasn’t on the call.

It was the first time since Omega came back that they could properly tell the story of him returning to full health, with Don Callis able to play the obnoxious bum-licker, without JR ruining the whole thing and shouting over everyone.

It’s madness that something as simple as playing along and bouncing off a heel commentator is now so far beyond Jim. He genuinely spends more time trying to win arguments and undermining everything. You could tangibly sense the joy of Don, Tazz and Schiavone being able to successfully call the match and play their parts without the grumpy dickhead who at some point forgot the whole thing is a work.

I agree with @Supremo they should have started the show with a huge all-roster battle royale. The final 6 could then split into trios and compete for those titles.  And the winning trio then has a triple threat match for the main belt to finish the show.

And never mention Punk again.

13 minutes ago, simonworden said:

I was hoping they would change MJFs music to Sympathy for the devil after Sunday. Would fit his character and considering it's a Stones song would probably cost a fortune to use which fits with MJF supposedly having Tony Khan by the balls.

Exactly, so it's never going to happen. There's pretty much no financial value for them to do that. 

25 minutes ago, Supremo said:

It’s madness that something as simple as playing along and bouncing off a heel commentator is now so far beyond Jim. He genuinely spends more time trying to win arguments and undermining everything. You could tangibly sense the joy of Don, Tazz and Schiavone being able to successfully call the match and play their parts without the grumpy dickhead who at some point forgot the whole thing is a work.

I mean, you could be referring to more than one AEW employee here...

It's a real shame that Ross is the way that he is these days, as there are still times where he adds a real gravitas to a match/moment. He undercuts characters and moments far too often, though and actually does bring a show down. Taz, on the other hand, lifts absolutely everything, he's utterly joyful. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Doog said:

surely there will he some viewers who don't follow everything on the Internet and have no idea why suddenly the belts are vacated and Punk and the Elite aren't even mentioned?!

This isn't the 90s, everyone has the internet. Everyone knows what happened.

Whatever Tony Khan is paying Jon Moxley, he needs to triple it. He's the heart and soul of this company. You feel like no matter what happens as long as Mox is there everything will be ok. 

And I feel like they might have something special with heel Swerve. He came across as an absolutely brilliant dickhead here. Cocky mouthy Swerve and angry grizzly bear Lee has all the potential in the world.

23 minutes ago, Loki said:

they should have started the show with a huge all-roster battle royale. The final 6 could then split into trios and compete for those titles.  And the winning trio then has a triple threat match for the main belt to finish the show.

spacer.png

Edited by LaGoosh